Tiredness

NIce one sounds like a really pleasant day, been for my walk and passed a front garden design that will really suit mine when we get it done, just need approval from my wife, hope she really likes it because i do a lot, and it will be almost maintenance free, which is essential for her.
It will get warmer at some point i suppose

Wattsy

2 Likes

Hi

The beers idea sounds very good, could have a couple whilst watching the footy, how do they react with the medication?

Wattsy

2 Likes

I don’t really know, I can’t make any medical judgements as I am not qualified but I do know that alcohol can react with medication, and can reduce the efficacy of some pharmaceuticals, most leaflets explain how alcohol interacts with the medication taken and if it is unwise. I, however, can have two beers over a decent stretch of time (fours hours, sometimes), ranging from 3-5% and so have made the decision in my post stroke world that if my life expectancy was now, potentially, reduced, I wasn’t going to deprive myself of the few pleasures I have in order to stretch that expectancy out any longer than it needs be.

There are some quite decent zero alcohol beverages too which are worth investigating.

2 Likes

Sorry Rups was nor intending to be critical , but can see how it came across, just a curious question. enjoy them both

Cheers

Wattsy

2 Likes

Dim problem, didn’t read it as critical at all, enjoy the game. :grin:

We had a discussion on them… in

Low and no alcohol worth considering?

Caio
Simon

1 Like

Was told recently there’s a very good A/free Guinness. Have the odd bottle of Doom Bar, once a week, occasion glass of wine and thimble full of a good malt whiskey once a month. It’s just common sense I feel. Had a tooth out today was a good distraction, cost me £130 . Got home to zombie land , could not sleep now eight hours on , coming up for air to suffer the Archers The flipping Archers.
But tomorrow know I’m up for anything life throws down on me.

3 Likes

I did very much, low alcohol beers now very good

1 Like

the Guinness is very good, love your common sense on the odd beer wine and whisky, like it so much may well follow your example.
Hope you recover well and have good day tomorrow as for the Archers that is simply out of order

Wattsy

1 Like

@Barney2
If only someone could tell us when the fatigue will lift. I’m 1 year since stroke and fatigue is still bad.

However you do start to manage it after time passes, also it’s so long since I felt normal that you start to forget and get used to the new tired normal.

Try to remain positive that it will improve it’s just soooo slow.
Acceptance is difficult. Grieving for old self.

2 Likes

did a spot of garden work this morning helping a friend out just transferring a big bag of cuttings from the bag into the wheelie bin, did about 40 mins, absolutely shattered me very dispiriting to say the least, want to get back into the gym, for treadmill and static bike but after today think its just a pipe dream.

Wattsy

3 Likes

Forgive me but I can’t remember when you had your stroke but I want to congratulate you on helping your friend with some gardening work. You should be proud of what you’ve done. Getting back to the gym is a very achievable goal for many & it sounds like it will be for you too. Stroke recovery needs patience & learning to manage fatigue is really important. Factor in rest, find a level of activity you can do & stick to it for a while then push it a bit further & do the same again.

I suffer a lot of fatigue but can manage a short stint on a static bike. I can’t dp treadmill but that’s an issue with my left leg not my fatigue.

Try not to be so hard on yourself. Small goals will become bigger goals. You’re doing great.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, having had time to reflect on the issue, think part of the problem may be to do with food intake and at what time it is eaten, currently have overnight oats as breakfast with all sorts of fruit added in , much as I love it, it does not on its own give my morning a kick start or an energy boost, so may have to look at what I eat in conjunction with what i am, doing during my day, and at what time so if gardening at 10.30 take on fuel 9.30 in readiness and have a protean bar ready for afterwards, which may mean having meals at odd times where I would normally do so, think that all makes sense. I used to tend my friends garden pre stroke and I now go round and we potter together, have a cuppa and some lunch, and chat for a while therapy for me and it keeps the garden looking nice.
Had my stroke in early february this year so not long into recovery.

Many thanks for your lovely reply and hope you continue to make good progress.

Wattsy

1 Like

Wow, if you only had your stroke in February you are doing amazingly well. That’s not even two months yet. I could barely get out the chair at that point.

Nutritiin can definitely play a part in fatigue levels & it may be you need to adjust your diet & meal times. You’ll work that out as you go & find the optimum for you.

Fresh air, vitamin D & seeing your mate are all good for your mental & physical health.

Keep going.

Ann

1 Like

Hi

I will if you will

Will check in with you in a while see how you are doing.

Wattsy

1 Like

can you explain more about this

1 Like

Hi Cuddy, which part were you referring to?

i have no idea :crazy_face:

You’re only 3mths in to recovery, by February 2025 be on regaling your recovery stories with the rest of us to give other newbies hope and goals to work to :wink: Can’t remember if I suggest this before but get yourself some glucose tablets and keep them in your pocket for when you’re out and doing things like that.

I know it’s a hard one to master, managing fuel intake to sustain energy levels to fend off fatigue. It took me a while after my stroke and I lost nearly 3 stone in the first year with it all. I looked like a toddler playing dress-up in my mums clothes, and my skin hung on me like ruched curtain on my skeleton…that was not a look :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :rofl:

You’ll certainly need some fuel onboard if you want to head down to the gym, and I always have a couple of glucose tablets before I go home…to be sure I have enough energy to get there :wink:

Do you have any resistance bands at home?

2 Likes

HI

you did mention glucose tablets, and must admit I had forgotten, but will remember from now on, went for a walk this morning, got back wiped out, had trouble staying awake, suddenly dawned on me that I need to re fuel after exercise as well as before, and yes you did tell me to do that as well why do i not listen to you!!!

Certainly do nor want to think of you having lost 3 stone, I hope you are now filling out your clothes again, and ready for the catwalk, which is a much better image.

now firmly in my head that i need to fuel up before and after, it will eventually sink in to my head.
Finally I have a a variety of resistance knocking about, will need to google on how to get the best out of them, something tells me Emerald Eyes that you have some as well, and are well into their usage.

Thanks again for banging some common sense into me, you are a total star

Wattsy

2 Likes