Tiredness

New here
How long does the absolute tiredness take to get over
Thank you

5 Likes

@Barney2

Things could improve when you learn to take regular breaks, give yourself a good long rest and refuse to stress about anything.

Apart from that, get hold of the fact this is no hundred yard dash.
This is recovery from a major trauma.

Welcome to the forum, chill out and settle in.

keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :smile: :+1:

2 Likes

Hi @Barney2 ,
Welcome! The fatigue you are experiencing is something all of us stroke survivors have to varying degrees. I’ll be 3 years post stroke in June this year and it is still the biggest area to work on. However, I have had lots of assistance from a neuro Occupational Health assigned by my company’s insurance.

The point being it is likely you may always have this fatigue going forwards…but you can learn to manage it to an acceptable level. You will probably find this difficult in the early months (& should certainly rest when your body tells you) but I have learnt to understand it better now.

One of the issues I have found is work. I have been back on reduced hours for a couple of years and old habits creep back on when things get busy. Ignoring my reminders to take regular breaks causes the biggest problem.

Sorry for the over long reply, but I’m just trying to manage your expectations. You will be a new person since your stroke, but you can learn to adapt :grin:. Try to slow down (it’s actually better for you even if slightly frustrating).

Good luck on you recovery journey!

Mark.

6 Likes

@Barney2

In addition to all the good points, if you are on certain medications, they can make you very tired.
If you are, you do get used to them in a few weeks and it becomes easier.

If you suffer from sleep apnea, that can have a major impact post stroke on the need for sleep

3 Likes

Thank you everybody for your wisdom and help.
I am certainly a different person - a new me !!

3 Likes

Hi & welcome to the community @Barney2 I agree with @Ingo66. You need to learn to manage the fatigue and rest when you need to. As time moves forward you’ll hopefully be able to do more before the fatigue kicks in. You may find keeping a diary helps you identify your fatigue triggers.

Best wishes

Ann

3 Likes

Bore da @Barney2, I find myself answering this question when asked with another question, how long is a piece of string? As we are all different, our brains are personalised to the individual. Fatigue diminishes as the brain requires less energy to manage its daily tasks, but that still doesn’t mean that age related brain entropy and future circumstances of stress or challenging cognitive conditions won’t cause neurological fatigue to reoccur, accordingly.

3 Likes

Hi @Barney2 just popped in to welcome you to the forum. I can only second all that has been said, the fatigue is certainly going to be with you for a while. Take care and rest frequently, that’s what your brain wants so listen to it. Activity should be in small bites and don’t try to over tax your mind. Just know that life will get better over time :people_hugging:

4 Likes

If someone could just invent a battery meter for the brain so we, friends, family and work colleagues could tell when we are depleted it would be super helpful :thinking:.

8 Likes

It’s Called spoon theory :slight_smile:

Spoon theory - Wikipedia.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Take a look at toddlers who are in many respects on a par with those struck.

When tired both groups become impatient, grumpy, sulky, prone to tantrums and determined to stay active and awake.

So those struck have a built in energy indicator meter, when the toddler symptoms start up, you know you are running on empty.

Now I’m either going to leave and have a snooze,
or start stamping my foot, but I’ll always have the last word and. . .

keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :smile: :+1:
:zzz:
:sleeping:

aren’t they just lovely when they’re asleep?

3 Likes

Aye, a t-shirt or beanie with a green striped battery cell on it that gradually depletes into orange, then red, and then empty.

3 Likes

Very interesting…but not so practical as a meter that works it out automatically for you. It’s hard enough managing my 9 pills per day let alone a bunch of spoons (plus I’d need a handout to explain it every time).

3 Likes

Hi Barmey nice to hear from you I was coming on here today to ask a question abut tiredness

Ever since my stroke I have been going to bed quite late 11.30 to midnight on the basis that would rather do that and sleep really deep until around 8am rather than go earlier and not sleep so well. Then it occurred to me that my brain now needed more rest time so have climbed the stairs last two nights at 10.30 so that was saturday night and sunday night, today Monday I am totally knackered can hardly move been for shortish walk hung the washing out cleared the dishwasher and can hardly stay awake. so am now doubting my theory and maybe going back to a later bedtime and see what happens.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and have bedtime patterns which have worked for them.

the outcome is not what i expected, so a bit bemused. Maybe i am just having one of those days when I just need to accept the status quo and rest.

Thanks
Wattsy

3 Likes

search for sleep patterns and fatigue and …
and you’ll find its a big topic with many experiences that also change over time and with weather/ temperature, exposure to stimuli, when in recovery you are, food & hydration…

keeping a diary and looking for cause &effect is one strategy for trying to get a handle on the factors…

Ciao :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In my first year post stroke, I very gradually went from virtually no sleep to getting about 7/8hrs sleep. Currently I’m stuck at going to bed around 2:30am, not getting to sleep until around 4am and getting up around 11am. I’m sticking with that routine because my brain won’t let me break it. I can get up earlier than 9am if I have to be somewhere, like once a month I have an aphasia group I have to be at for 10 so up at 8am and other early appointments. But no matter how long the day may be I can’t get to bed any earlier, otherwise I just wind up with a headache.

But all that is ok with me because when I get up early I’m slower moving; I’m almost normal moving around by midday and into evening when I can get most done in my day :blush: It suits me and my family can work around that so I’m not going rock that particular boat if I don’t have to :grin:

2 Likes

Sorry i am a bit thick on seaching, how do i go about it?

Wattsy

1 Like

With the magnifying glass

If you’re in the middle of a post like this then use the Chevron to park it out of the way

at the bottom of the screen

You might need to drag down to expose the top option-bar if it’s hidden

Then enter text to be fuzzy matched not exact match - if you use several words the match will try to be to as many as possible, case seems not to be recognised
phrases in " " should match exactly (but I’ve yet to work out the full logic and the discourse support documentation is crap)

You can select between posts and users with the drop down

and you can find posts by a specific user if you include their app name in the search bar alongside the text you want to find EG

Returns…

There isn’t much more guidance available :frowning:
But there is a huge amount of functionality built into the search but does some rather obscure things
Caio
Simon

1 Like

@wattsy it will be different for everyone but I tend to head for my bed at 10 pm and I stick to this time every night as it is important to have a routine. It may be that you are just due a bout of fatigue anyway but if 11:30 works for you then stick with that. You may find something between the 2 is your ideal but it really is trial & error until you find the right time for you.

1 Like

@Bobbi i think you’ve described it perfectly :grin::grin: i was definitely like a toddler having a tantrum last week with my fatigue. Poor hubby got a ear bending one evening.

@Ingo66 if you find one of thosebatteries I’d like one too please :grin::grin: hope you’re doing ok? Xx

2 Likes