Tens machine and stroke pain

Has anyone used one for stroke pain ? Any tips/ideas to get the most out of it ? Did it work for you ?

I picked up a free one today from the pain clinic. Was shown how to use it and am now being asked to use it three times a day for an hour each over the first month. Genuinely surprised how a small machine made what was a half numb arm jump about.

If it helped, was it immediately or after a few sessions ?
Cheers

1 Like

I have a little pain in my outer thigh of stroke leg and it takes it away beautifully for a few days. But my pain is no where near yours I suspect. I also use it on my hands for arthritic pain and it’s works just as good for that.

I only need an hour or two on it in order to get 2 maybe 3 days relief out of it.
The pain in my thigh I put on a scale of 4 out of 10
The arthritic pain I’d put at a 6 out of 10 . . . . for my pain threshold. But everyone is different.

Hope that helps and good luck with it, I sincerely hope it brings you relief :smile:

1 Like

Don’t you have to keep buying new pads?

Apparently you can make them wet and pop them in the fridge to get more life out of them but yes eventually. Together with batteries for the machine.

One of the more difficult parts might be taking the pads off. It’s not as bad as a plaster but still hurts

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

1 Like

I have wetted mine and that works perfectly, but I totally forgot the bit about keeping them in the fridge so thanks for that reminder. I had one from Boots years ago for during my pregnancies and used to keep those pads in the fridge. Needless to say, I never even read the instruction booklet this time round or I would have seen that bit :blush:

@EmeraldEyes don’t they lose their “Stick” ?

1 Like

Hi I bought a tens machine quite a while ago because I have tightness in my left hand I can move my fingers and hand perfectly I have no pain just tightness I got in touch with my doctor and the physiotherapists at St Luke’s and they wouldn’t commit to yes or no so I didn’t use it any suggestions would be appreciated thanks

1 Like

The boots ones I had lasted a couple years, the pads just sat in the door of the fridge when not in use.

My current ones for my Auvon, I’ve only had a few months, but they were just stored in a zip-lock wallet in the storage case and I’ve given them a few drops of water over the gel side when using them. But I’ll now start keeping them in the fridge too :smile:

They way I look at it, if it was good enough for me and my unborn babies to relieve back ache, then it’s good enough for muscular tightness. My babies are now 20 and 22 years old and they don’t seem to have come to any harm. It did relieve my back, it did relieve the osteoarthritic pain in my hip before it was replaced, and it’s relieving it in my hands and the pain in my thigh now.

Have you actually tried your tens machine on your hand and for how long. I’ve just have tension in my ring and little finger of my right stroke hand and it can be damn nuisance when typing.

There are a number of posts on here about TENS & FES Which is a slightly different frequency stimulation that’s not used for pain relief but for muscle activation .

Most machines have programs both for tens and FES .

I buy my electrodes on Amazon and they are so dirt cheap when I buy them there that I wouldn’t bother with keeping them in the fridge but I do put a few drops of water on them actually before I store them away rather than when I’m going to use them .

Caio

Simon

1 Like

Just as a tip from my usage from earlier, depending where you place them, it’s much easier to connect them and then place on your body than try to connect them when they already are in place.
And vice versa, when finished, remove the pads and then disconnect them after

2 Likes

That reminds of the number of times I’ve had to get someone to connect me up because I forgot to do it before I put the electrodes on :laughing: :crazy_face:

1 Like

I put one on the back of my left hand and another by my elbow and then quickly realised it’s not easy to connect or disconnect one handed. If the pad wires were longer, it wouldn’t be an issue. Who designed these :grin:
The wires are so thin it’s easy to think that’s deliberate, so they break and people buy new ones with more thin wires and so it repeats

1 Like

Funny I’ve never had that problem because I’ve always connected them first and then stuck them on me and it never occurred to me to do it the other way around

:slight_smile:

I also have a machine that I can power with a USB plug so I put the 10,000 mA power mobile phone spare battery on it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks very much think I will try it soon

1 Like

Cor the 9v batteries are strong enough. You could be smoking all over with that power :grin:

I’m finding at the moment that the period the tens machine is on is ok, not unpleasant at all but the period after seems to make the pain more intense for a period than it was before.
I can see the twitching perhaps being useful for limbs or fingers which don’t regularly/easily move.

2 Likes

No !

The battery is 5 volt! And milliamps are a measure of its longevity not its absolute power You’re not giving them a bigger oomph but not having to stick batteries in it that run out and get thrown away!!

2 Likes

Right, get yer.
So it looks like your mobile battery could produce 5v for 20 odd times longer that a 9v battery rated 500ma ? Is that how it works ?

1 Like

I don’t know ! Exactly but yes

50 years ago somebody taught me I over v equals r but I think that’s something else .

My machine is a sabeo and has a USB connection as a power source…

1 Like