Rugby World Cup and Cricket World Cup

Dear All,

I am a big ruby fan and am half Kiwi and Half English and have lived in London most of my life so I support England :rugby_football: :england:

And then when we go out I have a NZ :kiwi_fruit: :rugby_football: backup!! :sweat_smile: :smiley: :rofl:

So for all the rugby fans out there I thought I would do a poll and please feel free to suggest extra categories!!

Who will win the Rugby World Cup 2023 in France?

• England
  • New Zealand
  • Someone else
0 voters
4 Likes

I wouldn’t have a clue.
And I’m very happy for you that you’re enthralled by it but it goes right over my head or under my feet or something

Amazing how everyone lives in ‘different’ worlds

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Scotland are currently demolishing Romania 42-0 at half time!!!

Send them homeward to think again!!

:polar_bear: :wink:

3 Likes

Dunea mean much tae me pal

2 Likes

Actually I love New Zealanders, but chose England because of a longer history of playing, and of course, because this is a UK group :laughing:

2 Likes

Cricket world cup DeAnn this week, NZ v Eng up early on. Now that’s sport

As far as I can tell, with rugby you try to get the human pile as high as you can and then spend time kicking the ball off the pitch. I have only seen 3 professional games and it’s just so stop start. There is a reason why they can show so many highlights during a game. Zzzzzzzz
The feared Gloucester shed doesn’t come close to football for atmosphere. Very tame.

Probably neither come close to the Ryder cup as a team event.

3 Likes

I loved the Ryder cup and am looking forward to the cricket but I have also enjoyed the rugby so far!

What football team do you support @Nigelglos ?!

K

:polar_bear: :wink:

1 Like

Ipswich KGB. Doing ok at the moment.
What about you, Spartak Moscow ? :grin:

Was always a bit of a treat to watch them being so far from Bristol so only used to go once or twice a year unless they were local.

Used to watch Gloucester City with my mates week in week out… Since the stroke I have found what was enjoyable stress to be very different. I really miss it.

2 Likes

And you address that quote to an American!? You know their football is 10 minutes a game and 6 hours of popcorn and hot dog sales wrapped around them ?

No offence intended yet DeAnn :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeh that didn’t twig :grin::grin:

More than anything I love cricket but could easily call that very stop start. Few beers in, sat in the sun, laughing with my mates, don’t tend to notice the stop start after a while.

3 Likes

Yeh doing ok!!

Lost a bit of momentum with that 1-1 but overall 2nd is pretty decent!! Just try not to yo yo. again :rofl:

I’m sure you’ve seen my profile pic??!

K

:rofl: :wink: :polar_bear: :polar_bear: :hammer_and_pick: :hammer_and_pick: :hammer_and_pick: :hammer_and_pick:

I see where you got that but my name is Kieran George Bennett!! hence KGB…

You will get there - I go about once a month!! In ‘special seats’ of course!!

And the disability bus

K

:wink: :polar_bear:

I think the feeling is we escaped a bit, they had that new manager first home game bounce and we had 2 key players out. Exceeding all expectations I think after coming up. We have gone from really average league 1 side to getting McKenna and flying.
You got to be pleased with West Ham so far ?

1 Like

That is fair enough!!

I think my claret and blue housemate who supports villa and is a season ticket holder, never misses a home game and bores me to death about them, is happier so far!!

I’m not ‘unhappy’ but pleased would be pushing a bit!! we can when we do but DM needs to sort it out!

I go about once a month and am lucky enough to get rows 1-4 for any game I want as a disabled partially sighted WH claret member!! Worth looking into that for the superblues seats?!?!

And it’s BOGOF because of a personal assistant…

:wink: :polar_bear:

1 Like

@Nigelglos & @KGB
I’m glad you both found a vein of conversation that you can share enjoyment of - I vaguely understood or connected with a word of it though

2 Likes

Thanks, Simon. I don’t even know the difference between Rugby, Cricket and Polo. I’m told Rugby is more like American Football.

I think @Nigelglos and @KGB are just a couple ‘sticky wickets’ but I am not sure. I don’t know what that means!
And Simon, hot dogs go with baseball, hot cheerleaders go with football. Popcorn is for movies, Pop tops (beer) is for football. Basketball is for trash talking and hockey is for fist fighting.

1 Like

Errm no

American football (1869 or 1892 pick yr ref’nc) is more like rugby (1832) just 50 or so years later - an imitation that has evolved!

Polo has horses and cricket there’s two players running back with them forwards between some sticks and uses a small hard red ball

A sticky wicket means being in a ‘bit of a fix’ that require some ingenuity, luck and the British stiff upper lip to win through

I note the rest of your correlations, with some cultural adjustments - like beer is anytime, hot dogs are anytime, strawberries are Wimbledon, cheerleaders look don’t touch…

2 Likes

@Nigelglos are you watching or is that a stupid question ha ha

The cricket has started!!! Come on England and of course my NZ :new_zealand: back ups. But England today!!! :england: :england: :england:

I’m not going to start a poll with 44 and a half matches to go!!! But will do a bit later on!

K :polar_bear: :wink:

A polar bear playing cricket - Images.AI Diffusion

2 Likes

Yeh got it on. Not going England’s way. Expecting New Zealand to win this

1 Like

:angry: :angry:

We should have got 300 reckon that’ll be about par for the tournament?