More messin' in the kitchen

I hate waste and as you probably know I bake our own bread every couple of days or so. It doesn’t contain the nasties which are found in commercial loaves put there to increase shelf life. This means that our bread is no longer at it’s best after three days. I bake a small loaf so all that is left is just a couple of crusts from each loaf.

We’ve started keeping these, wrapped in a large zip lock bag, in the freezer. They can be blitzed down in a blender or with a wand, stored in a sealed box and used as breadcrumbs when needed.

However we’ve started using them to make bread and butter pudding, a delicious treat that can be served hot or cold, on its own with a cuppa, or with ice cream, cream, or custard.

The Bread & Butter Pudding
(Unfortunately those sock goblins seem to have got to it first - at least there is some left)

Bread and butter pudding

So, in case you are tempted, here’s the recipe, which can be scaled up or down according to what you have available…

the ingredients

18 slices of bread or crusts
butter or cooking spread
100 g sultanas or raisins
mixed spice
cinnamon

200 ml evaporated milk
600 ml water

6 eggs
90 g sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

25 g demerara sugar

oven proof glass dish (greased) size according to requirements

the method

This recipe is flexible, you can use more or less ingredients according to what you have available.

First I defrost the bread in the fridge.
Next apply a coat of spread to the dish in which the pudding will be made.
Next liberally ‘butter’ each slice with cooking spread.
Cut each piece in half and add a layer of the bread to the dish.
Sprinkle with sultanas or raisins, then ground cinnamon and mixed spice.
Add another layer of bread slices, then more fruit and spice.
Repeat until all bread has been added.
Finish off with fruit and spices.

Mix evaporated milk with water and put in a pan.

Whisk the eggs then add the sugar, continuing until well mixed.
Heat the milk until steaming hot.
Pour this into the egg mixture beating as you go.
Add vanilla extract.

Carefully pour this custard over the bread making sure to get it all wet.
Push it down to ensure custard gets everywhere. (the mind boggles, only everywhere in the dish)
Sprinkle over with demerara sugar to give a crunchy top.

Leave to stand.
Set oven for 160°C

Put pudding in oven and bake for 30-40 minutes.

Allow to cool a little before serving.
Will keep in fridge, or can be cling film wrapped and frozen.

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :grin: :spoon:

My recipes haven’t been vetted by dieticians, health and safety and so on, so will not appear on the blog at the front of the site. However I will continue to post here in this forum, for what I hope is your amusement and enjoyment. Thanks for your interest.

7 Likes

You could also use the breadcrumbs to make Queen of Puddings, a favourite from my childhood.
Janet

2 Likes

have u tried making b&b pud made from croissant or panettone or brioche?

i realise it isn’t in your waste avoidance regime but is v. tastie :slight_smile:

i don’t make but Lea does

2 Likes

One of my hubbies favourites. Well done on using your leftovers. We must get better at that.

I had a go at apple desert cake this weekend. Was very pleased with my first try. Used apples grown in our own garden.

3 Likes

I don’t need them to be vetted :rofl: as they are good but thanks for the warning. :wink:

Please can you send the bread recipe too!!! I will need to start with the bread and then follow with the pudding ha ha. I’ve acutally just bought some yeast as I was going to make some rolls… Inspired by you @Bobbi ta mate

Keep cool

K :polar_bear: :wink:

I made Chinese takeaway the other day :rofl: :wink:

1 Like

@KGB
I think the kitchen is a great place to get active. A perch provided by an occupational therapist has been invaluable. It lets me keep going for much longer being able to rest as needed. I have gradually built up some strength and stamina. I’m not a great one for exercise routines but actual hands on activity works for my mind set.
There are loads of YouTube videos about bread making. I think there is a recipe of mine in the forum here somewhere. I tend to use a bread machine which is very convenient.

@SimonInEdinburgh @Mrs5K @Janetb

Thanks for those suggestions, I find cooking, baking, brewing and so on very interesting to try and to learn about. Pre-stroke I had quite a variety of things going on, now I just work with what is practical, hoping to extend my range over time. Scuba diving after stroke? Dunno about that.

:writing_hand: :grinning: :+1:

3 Likes

I know and I can make some I’m sure I was just asking for your secret recipe!!! :rofl:

But I’ll have a back search and just make my own if necessary.

Do you use white or brown flour though pls?

I’ve got a high stool as a perch!!

1 Like

@KGB
You could try this (below), I would recommend it. It’s getting cooler now, so you will have to watch the temperature, it is better when things are warmer.

I tend to use Strong White but a couple of tablespoons of Wholemeal make the texture and appearance interesting. I’d just use white for a start until you’ve got the knowledge. To start getting technical, when I was making sourdough Rye flour was a part of the mix, but that’s rabbit hole to get lost down.

You might find the following interesting, I got good results with it.

2 Likes

Bobbi uses the hashtag kitchen on a lot of his cooking posts so use the search function and search for category / tag
He can advise about other tags I think cooking or something I don’t remember…

2 Likes

Thanks Chef - by the way watched this last night and really enjoyed it - on 4 on demand for free…

1 Like

@KGB

Hehe we’re watching the series now. Saw the original some time ago.

1 Like

Just watched the film so far. Will start the series next - well at some point - no spoilers please!!!

1 Like

@Mrs5K

Talking about wastage and recycling, I keep looking at peelings and off cut bits playing with the idea of a stock pot. I think it could have a place. As a base for a soup maybe?
Not made yogurt for a bit, but I used to strain it to thicken. The whey off that was good in cakes, scones, bread and so on.
When I was brewing some of the spent grain used to go in my bread dough, again making interesting texture, appearance and flavour. I very much miss that and the odd pint of home brew to chuck in a recipe.
Maybe I like my food and drink?

keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :grinning: :+1:

4 Likes

Talking about this, if you want to work with yeast in this country you really need a means to keep it warm and comfy so it can make it’s best effort.
I’ll play about with the idea and try to post a simple Proving Box design or similar maybe eventually, which could be useful.
I’ve suggested a cheap proving box from Amazon UK, in a post below. I’ve ordered one and will review it when I’ve received it and given it a try. I have a feeling it will be adequate. (Oh, it was £16.50 but has just gone up to £20.50, still a good price.)

1 Like

Would be very very useful for me thanks @Bobbi

I actually can’t remember what I used to do :rofl: :rofl:

But now I use just cling film and near a radiator if cold or in some sunlight if wram out…

stay cool

K

:polar_bear: :wink:

1 Like

There are several types of proving boxes for sale on the internet, they are very variable in price.

This one on Amazon is £15.00 with free delivery
Amazon serial no B0C7ZPSFHK

Probably couldn’t do better than that. I think I’ll get one ordered for myself.
Let me know if you get one and I’ll show you how to use it to make a sourdough starter and then bake your own sourdough bread.

I’ll review it when I’ve received and tested it.

2 Likes

:flushed: How…Why…are they making your hair too curly :rofl:
I wait with batted breath for the bread to run out just so I can eat the crusts :yum:
Unfortunately my daughter has discovered that crusty delight and is a very sneaky contender for them :unamused: :frowning_face:

1 Like

We eat the crusts when they’re fresh hot out of the oven with a knob of butter !

2 Likes

I leave them with the remainder of the bread to stop it drying out, that’s why I eat them at the end of the loaf.

1 Like

Lea’s homemade bread doesn’t last that long :slight_smile:

1 Like