More messin' in the kitchen

There’s 4 of us in our house, I’d never keep up if we relied on homemade alone so we usually have both.

1 Like

Always an inspiration @Bobbi, I like your style.

1 Like

@Rups

You won’t know this but your photographs of those expeditions into the woods have been quite inspiring. I would like one day to achieve something like that.

Not so long ago I had viewed it as impossible for me, but more recently although not ready yet, I feel that eventually I might be able to ‘evolve’ into a creature capable of such adventures.

So a big thank you for sharing and as a result giving me something to work towards.

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :grinning: :+1:

3 Likes

There’s nothing more motivational than feeling trapped by your own body.
Do you need to be ready to make a start? Start off with something small and simple that’s outside your comfort zone.

Some times muscle memory needs you to switch things up a bit, in order to wake them up when you reach a level that’s not a challenge anymore. Once you’ve mastered something it can become mundane so the brain needs a little shake up to keep it growing :wink:
Good luck in your adventures Bobbi :wink:

@Bobbi What is the source of your

?

As opposed to "I’m now on a path ('scuse pun) to achieving”

I’m wondering whether exploration of the mindset in the two phrases is worthwhile -for you and more generally for all of us.
The first says I haven’t started and the second says I have started.

I often think of a quote I heard; attributed to many different people, Walt Disney is one that says: "whether you say you can or you can’t you’re correct "

I find there are multiple ways to look at my progress. On some days I lament The many hours I spend on here that I could spend practising my not very capable walking and my as your yet to be developed wrist and finger movement. On other days I celebrate the micro improvement over the week or month before and note that my pushing my use in everyday activities would seem to extended my capabilities.

I can’t reconcile my lack of action given my recognition of the greater opportunity foregone and the payoff that would come from it

thoughts (any/everyone?)
Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

Here is another who has taught me a lot, he has much to offer.
I enjoy and value this sort of stuff and find it very useful.

I recommend Hendrik’s approach.

I do hope to eventually write more about this sourdough process. It does make very nice bread and is just ‘ordinary’ and not out of the reach to anyone.

This is how bread has always been made in homes everywhere, for thousands of years, up until the ‘improved’ new methods in the past hundred years.

Bread’s future lies in the past.

1 Like

@Bobbi
Think I’ll use that to make some sourdough pizza bases if I can get it to work!!

Keep cool

K :polar_bear: :wink:

Fun Polar Bear Cartoon Character with Pizza Stock Illustration -  Illustration of fast, slices: 71861536

3 Likes

@KGB

You will need somewhere warm to do this, about a minimum of 23°C up to about 28°C, otherwise it won’t come together in a reasonable time.

Sourdough pizza bases is a good place to start.

(The proving box I suggested earlier in this thread is a way of getting the controlled temperature your dough will like. I am still waiting for mine to arrive, next week from Amazon I think.)

Good luck with your baking, let us know how you get on.

I must get to bed, getting up at five to make bread.

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

Bore da Bobbi, as we move along with our aspirations and triumphs, no matter how seemingly insignificant to others, we build on the quality of our life. I am a lot more mobile these days although yesterday didn’t feel like it. :grinning:

4 Likes

@Rups
I get the impression you do quite well, Rups.
There are good days and bad.
I have similar feelings about mobility, sometimes, as they say, the going is tough.
I wonder whether I should make more effort, but one thing is certain, I’m not giving up.
A positive is finding rewarding stuff to do which compensates to a degree for what is beyond me and my ‘used to be’ plans.

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :smiley: :+1:

3 Likes

October 30th
At last the proving box I ordered is here.
I gave it a quick check over and it looks like it will do the job.

It will hold its contents at between 23-25°C which is just right for creating a starter.
It is also good for fermenting the dough and proving ready to make a loaf.

I’ll give it a trial run, take photos and post them with instructions for those interested in this process.

I’ll start a new thread with all the info as soon as I’ve run a test.

3 Likes

Hi, Bobbi.
Many thanks for the bread pudding recipe, that is definitely going to the front of the queue. Many years ago I developed an intolerance for most foods containing flour - biscuits, cakes, bread, pizza’s, pretty much you name it. I had no proof but I put this down to the preservatives the ‘commercial’ flour mills put in their products. However… On a family day out to the Weald & Downland museum (local - where they make the BBC’s Repair Shop program), I discovered they had their own water mill, and ground their own flour. I had a word with the miller and was told that they didn’t use any additives at all, so I invested in a small bag to try. Lo and behold. bread that didn’t leave me with chronic indigestion for the next several hours. My wife now bakes around 2 loaves a week which are left for a day to cool, and are then sliced and frozen. When needed, slices are popped into the microwave for half a minute and taste warm and fresh. We’ve also found via trial and error that some supermarket flours work - but that can be hit and miss.
You are the only other person I’ve found who has a similar intolerance of these preservatives, glad you’ve found a way around it. Nice to know I’m not the only one with ‘half-baked’ notions.
Bless you,
Bob (the other one).

4 Likes