Making a simple evening meal

Due to a supermarket delivery item swap we ended up with some yeast for hand baking, as opposed to our usual bread machine bake. So I found a simple recipe online to make baguettes by hand and we had boiled egg, onion and mayonnaise sandwiches for tea, which turned out to be easy to do and very tasty.

I recommend trying it out. The bread was easy to make and we’ll definitely be baking it again. It isn’t hard to do, but you need to be patient, allow the yeast to work, which does take time.

So here’s the recipe and some pictures.

French Baguettes

Ingredients
7 g Easy bake yeast sachet
270 g Warm water (lukewarm 35-40°C)
1 tsp Granulated sugar
450 g Strong white bread flour
2 tsp Salt

Method

Step 1: Started at 5 am.
In a large bowl mix the yeast with the water and sugar.
Sift the flour and salt together in a separate bowl, add half to the yeast mixture, stir and cover.
Leave until the dough has doubled in size. (I left it for 4 hours at 22-23°C by which time it was well risen three quarters filling the bowl)

Yeast beginning to work

Step 2:
Add the remaining flour and mix to a light dough.
Knead for 10 minutes by hand or for 5 minutes if using a food mixer fitted with a dough hook.

Step 3:
Divide the dough into 3 pieces and shape each into an oblong.
Fold the 2 ends into the middle and seal, repeat this process 3 or 4 more times for each piece.

Step 4:
Roll each piece of dough into a 33-34 cm (13-14”) long loaf.

Ready for oven

Step 5: (Reached this stage after a further hour. Happy with the progress.)
Place onto a greased baking tray and leave until doubled in size, then slash the tops.
Meanwhile preheat the oven to 200°C (fan 180°C, gas mark 7).

Rolls baked and out of oven, piece taken for testing purposes

Step 6: (After a further two hours, 12.00 am, I reached this point. Ready to bake.)
Bake for 20 minutes carefully spraying the inside of the oven and the dough with water during the first 5 minutes of baking.

Buttered and filled with chopped boiled egg, onion and mayonnaise

Try it, I promise it is far easier than you would think.
Thanks to Hilary for the photos.

I got up at 5 am and worked through it again, added the timings for anyone interested. It is a slow lazy loaf. Finished at about 12.30am. Seven and a half hours all together. Mostly spent drinking coffee and browsing the net on my laptop. The yeast did all the work.

This is the result of today’s bake. The oven and dough were sprayed with a film of water just before baking, which encouraged the crust formation and appearance. Giving the yeast a bit more time, as well, has produced a definite improvement.

Later on, we’ll be having some of this, buttered, with a bowl of home-made tomato soup. (See below for recipe.)

Keep on keepin’ on
:bowl_with_spoon: :grinning: :baguette_bread:

6 Likes

Yay! This one is definitely for me!

2 Likes

I do like a nice freshly baked baguette :yum::yum:

3 Likes

Looks very tasty,I’ll give it a go🤤

3 Likes

Anyone keen enough to try this must post photos.
You deserve bragging rights, seriously.
. . . but due to the tightness of certain parts of my anatomy, no prizes I’m afraid.

Keep on keepin’ on bakin’
:baguette_bread: :grinning: :baguette_bread:

2 Likes

EASY TOMATO SOUP small

serves 2
total time 35 minutes

Ingredients

1 tbsp butter (or vegetable oil)
1/2 onion finely diced

1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
1 medium potato, peeled and finely diced

1 tbsp apple sauce
1 x 400 g tin chopped/whole plum tomatoes
1 tsp garlic puree (or equivalent)
1/2 pint chicken stock (2 chicken stock cubes in 250 ml water)
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp sugar
a few good grinds of black pepper
cream or a tbsp milk

Method

Melt butter in medium saucepan .
Add onions over a medium/low heat, saute 5 minutes until soft.

Cook carrots and potatoes (I use pressure cooker for 3-5 minutes)

Add to onions, with stock,tomatoes, tomato puree, garlic, sugar, apple sauce, with some black pepper and stir well.

Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-25 minutes until everything is cooked through.

With a wand blend the soup to make it lump free.

Stir in cream/milk.

All good stuff, tried and tested many times.

Serve and enjoy.

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :grinning: :+1:

3 Likes

Tomato soup to go with them fresh baked baguettes,good thinking🤤

2 Likes

How do I add pics on here then I tried couple times and can’t work it out?

2 Likes

@Justin
You know at top of box where you input text, one of the icons says upload when you hover over it. It looks like a rectangle with squiggles inside it. When you click it shows your files, you navigate to where the picture you want is located.
I hope that helps.
I can explain more if you need it. (see below)

:+1:

uploader

The icon for the upload button is in dark grey in the text box in this screen shot

Must Zoom, back later.

2 Likes

Click on this button in your post text box and follow the instructions from there :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve done that then taken pic and clicked done or ok can’t remember which but photo never posted😂

3 Likes

I’m on my phone at mo as still in Spain I’ll try again when home tomorrow.Cheers Bob

3 Likes

I’m useless with these phones everything is too small I’ll try on my laptop when home tomorrow,thank you😁

3 Likes

I’m just the same that’s why I prefer my computer. Phone is only good for phone calls and games :laughing:

3 Likes

Holy macaroni! I never knew you could make tomato soup that way! Looks delicious. I thought it just came out of a Campbell’s tomato soup can, or my favorite, a Costco tomato basil soup carton! Gonna have to try that as well. I don’t know if my brain will remember to get all the ingredients. I will come back and write them down. I was a decent cook, now, not so much. No one to cook for really, anyway, but still something I enjoy now and then. Last I made was a pepper steak stir fry. Needed more flavor. Soy and Worchestershire sauces were good, but still was missing something…not sure what. I can’t remember…maybe ginger, pepper and or onion?

2 Likes

@DeAnn
If you can follow this link and scan the whole page of links, there is a lot of inspiration on offer. Includes much more than salad cream (I’ll be making that today b.t.w. for tuna mayo sandwiches.)

1 Like

@Justin
I hit the generation gap. At school there were no phones apart from the one in the School Secretary’s office. In my last couple of years there were extremely expensive electronic calculators. I had log tables and a very snazzy slide rule, what are those you might well ask. Eventually I eased myself into computers having turned down an opportunity to sell huge mainframe jobs to industry for I.B.M.
iPhones will probably stay as something I don’t quite get. I don’t see myself hunched over a tiny screen anxiously scanning for likes or replies. I much prefer the wide open screen of a laptop or PC.
In this world where everything is free, after a small deposit and a monthly subscription. Recycling means squirrelling away to some distant hole in the ground or the apparently limitless oceanic place of forgetfulness. Politically correct means keeping your opinion to yourself, together with accepting whatever is the fad of the day. I moan and I groan but the wheels, whether electric or petrol, grind on.

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :grinning: :+1:

3 Likes

@Bobbi
My dad bought me the same model -a Pic123 - slide rule as he had for about my 8th birthday because he couldn’t conceive of anybody being able to go through their professional life without good slide rule. He was a mechanical engineer .

If you were nearly a salesman in probably the 70s? Or even the 60s?? For the big blue itsy bitsy machine company That’s actually quite impressive because they were pretty selective. All black socks no beards white shirts but I guess not as strict as EDS were some years later.
I started my computing career on a 370/158 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t even know what a 370/158 is. I started with a Radio Shack and a Commodore System 80, both programming in Basic language. Moved up from there but chose the wrong ‘specialty’ in Website Design. The languages changed so quickly, I was unable to keep up from my very rural home without access to internet. I tried to learn more in down times at work, but no certificates to prove it. I am still good at Website Design but no need for it. HTML and Java Applets are way outdated. I can do XML, C++, and my grandson can help me with coding, but unless I build something for myself, no reason to know.

Can’t wait to try the baguettes and tomato soup, but need a trip to grocery first.

1 Like

A small family of recently hatched baguettes, basking in light coming through the kitchen window.
They are not long for this world, poor things, tending to be devoured almost as soon as they are noticed.

My technique for catching them is improving but I will probably never become a master baguette trapper.

4 Likes