Help with walking - foot drop

This article explains FES which is a device which aids foot drop. If this is an issue for you, this does look like it might help.
This is from an MS website but I thought it gave a quite nice overview.

If you have NHS physio or approved physio, your physiotherapist may be able to arrange this for you.

2 Likes

Thank you @Nigelglos FES didn’t work for me but I know of many people it has helped a lot. Definitely worth a try if anyone has drop foot.

1 Like

I am struggling a bit at the moment, not with foot drop but with lifting my foot, the sole of the foot on my weaker side seems to drag.
I’m hoping this might help, should find out in a couple of days.

1 Like

The bioness L300 has a good reputation and can be found 2nd hand

Also flint rehab are worth looking at for their YouTube and blog (and products) that turn up when you search for “gait training”

Ciao
Simon

1 Like

Cheers Simon
It looks like I am getting one for free on the NHS and the at home physio (which had ended and I asked for it to restart) is going to programme it.
Seems like it doesn’t hurt to ask.

2 Likes

Good luck I really hope it works for you. Let us know how you get on.

1 Like

Hi, I have been using an FES machine since my hemorrhagic stroke in 2017 which paralysed my left side. On the whole, I would say it’s great piece of equipment but it doesn’t suit everyone. Some people are allergic to the electrodes that stick on your leg and some people don’t like the sensation when your foot lifts. I also use an AFO sometimes, really just to have a break from the FES machine and to give my husband a break from setting it up every morning. I definitely wouldn’t be able to set it up myself.

Luckily, my GP surgery funds my equipment and referred me to the National Hospital at Queens Square London. On the whole I would say it’s a good piece of equipment and I would definitely suggest giving it a try if you get the opportunity, especially if you can get it funded by your local Authority.

Regards Sue

1 Like

Hi Sue, I had a fluffy lined AFO in hospital which was incredibly hot. Put me off them big time, well that and the humourless nurse who insisted I wore it.
Some people just didn’t seem suitable for nursing, more like prison camp guard !!

2 Likes

There are loads of different AFOs out there. Mine isn’t fluffy at all. It may be worth asking them to show you some at your FES appointment.

1 Like

Hello all. Ask your physio about the TurboMed Xtern Orthotic, Frontier Model. It was developed specifically for individuals with foot drop. It is based on an Exoskeleton design and is worn on the outside of the shoe. I wear one and it is absolutely brilliant. Have a look at their website. I know for a fact that the Xtern Med Othotic is available in the UK through the NH.
Cheers

2 Likes

Cheers for the details.
I don’t think I have much flexibility at the mo. The FES device is being programmed next week, in the test it produced a reaction in the foot.
I will need to give this a go first before investigating alternatives.

2 Likes

I have found the FES device of very limited benefit up to now and the physio is back next week to place the electrodes round the back of the knee.
I was getting so little benefit I was close to giving up as it seemed to be making things harder. My walk earlier had an almost continual catching of my foot. Then when I turned round to come back home, not sure why but I was able to walk a bit easier. Maybe some of the spasticity had eased. I could plant my heel first and felt the machine giving me a boost. It is all a bit odd though, it’s like you have to learn to walk again as you are being pushed along.
It’s a bit more motivation to try again tomorrow. I do think with spasticity that you have to do a certain amount to fend it off. Just a bit of activity isn’t enough to loosen it.

2 Likes

It may be that you need to persevere longer. Maybe the physio visit will help with some techniques etc.

It didn’t work for me and I guess it doesn’t for everyone but i’ll keep my fingers crossed for you.

1 Like

I think for anything like this you need to give it at least a year anyway. Its about relearning, reactivating, reconnecting. Just think how long it takes a baby to learn to walk proficiently, its more than a couple weeks/months :wink: Keep us posted on your progress, I’m certainly interested :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Which device have you got?

1 Like

I’m thinking that it’s possible that the increased time in bed due to the pain levels and the tiredness from medication changes have brought on this foot catching.
I am going to ask about an AFO to see if that can help keep the foot nicely positioned.

I think I have seen the first green shoots of an improvement. I don’t think I had really realised how you need to change the way you walk. I had gone from walking to moving and I need to discover walking again I think.

3 Likes

I’ve had to relearn to walk a few times over the years. Last time I’d just about nailed it after 2 ops and a very long recovery from a broken ankle when the stroke struck :roll_eyes:

You’ll start walking more naturally when you get into it. Once you relax and to distracted to be conscious of anymore, that’s when you’ll settle into a normal gait with it :crossed_fingers: Onwards and upwards :smile:

3 Likes

This is where having the chance to chat is so useful. Can get information that the support teams can’t easily pass on.
Thank you for your replies @EmeraldEyes, very much appreciated

2 Likes

And yes, that’s why I’ve always looked to forums first for answers. The trouble with experts they are too text book in their symptoms, diagnosis and solutions or treatments. Certainly the descriptions of symptoms do not always relate to diagnosis :slightly_smiling_face:

Nigel, why don’t you try this just to see how it might affect you. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, and if nothing else it will at least help build a little more strength in your ankle :wink: :smile:

It’s this bad boy Simon

1 Like