Help with walking - foot drop

I did try that today EE, I can do it, the resistance and pain is in my hamstring and hip when I try.
I can push up and stand on tiptoes on just my weak leg and I can kick a football left footed. There is some strength there but it’s not making my walking any easier.

1 Like

Do keep us all posted, I know a few people on here in the past have enquired about but I don’t think there’s been anyone who’s actually used one. I dare say it’s going to take some time, for the brain to recognise and retune/reactivated or whatever. I suppose you could liken it to rejumping a car with a flat battery, only it’s going to take a bit longer :smile:
Good luck with it Nigel and may the force be with you :laughing:

1 Like

Looks comprehensive!

There must be some electrodes & a foot switch. No wonder you are having some adjustment challenges getting it all configured correctly!

There are simpler ones. I’d stick with it
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeh there are Simon. As I understand it, the heel pressure switch triggers a pulse to the two electrodes.
In test (to confirm machine working) it’s possible to see the resulting foot movement which isn’t always upwards as you might expect.
The electrodes provide an equal pulse currently but that can be varied as can any delay.

There is also some element of uphill and downhill settings which I don’t fully understand. There is certainly a feeling of being pushed or slightly falling.

As a user, even with just a few tries, wireless … Wow would that make it easier. What a pain connecting it and threading it through.

2 Likes

If you google ODFS Pace and go to images you can see how it works, this is just one example :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

The physio returned today and will be back next week. After a 12 week wait for an appointment I almost feel spoilt now.

Today was not a good day, pain in face, upper arm and leg was severe. Hard to stay fully focussed on what the physios said. I really caught my foot this morning, fortunately I was next to the bed so could lean over onto it.

The electrodes had been on my left leg, on the front, left hand side at the top of the calf. Today one was moved so that it was on the back of my leg, just above my knee. Same strength setting as before but felt so much more powerful. I will need to learn again how to use it.

I need this pain to subside to be able to use it. I will be very interested to see the difference.

3 Likes

Yeah I get you on the distracting overlapping diffusing and confusing focus points.

When you’ve got pain so difficult to bring other priorities to the fore. Early in my physio I had a lot of not crippling back pain. It was really quite difficult to do physio when every movement reminded me that I was on the edge of antagonising something that might put me flat on my back again

I don’t think you should feel spoilt by two physio appointments - you’ve paid for it all your life! And now you’re finding this supply doesn’t quite match the payment schedule

Might you come along at this Thursday to the cafe? No sweat if you’re busy but would be happy to see you :slight_smile:

Ciao
Simon

1 Like

The drop foot is one of the most frustrating things for me.

I can notice an improvement in my ankle and foot stability & do my daily routines and exercises to further it.
Still nothing going on in terms of movements and dorsiflextion yet.

The best thing I find helps stabilise the ankle is an ortho foot brace I use.

Does anyone have any tips on devices / braces to help with running/ jogging?
Is the Turbo Med any good for this?

1 Like

Hi @DanH You could try this simple exercise I started doing several weeks ago. I have now had 3wks free of foot drop.

Naturally I’d had a break from the gym over the Christmas period, but I got frustrated with my foot and just started turning my ankle in. I did about 30reps probably half a dozen times a day for a couple days and then my calf started constantly twitching and from there the foot stopped dropping. I don’t know if that was the miracle cure for me or if it was just coincidence. But it can’t hurt to give it try, can it :smile: I’d be interested to know if it helps you at all.
I put the link to the whole post below.

Have you read through this thread? The post above

Gives it a ringing endorsement :slight_smile:

I’ve heard good stuff about the bioness l300. It’s expensive but does come up on sites like MS second hand. The newer model the l300 go is claimed to be improved by the manufacturer but I haven’t done seen lived experience posts

I attended a mini conference recently where the professors said muscle and tendon atrophy starts within two weeks of your stroke therefore f e s to build muscle and mobility is required - they suggested 2 hours a day! They also pointed out that neuroplasticity is building in your compensations -But then compromise recovery - from day one.

Two enormously significant factors none of my PTs even mentioned in 3 years so didn’t translate any actions with these factors in mind to me - and possibly didn’t for you either but now you are aware you can start incorporating?

Ciao
Simon

1 Like