First drive since stroke

Definitely the hardest thing to bear since the stroke in April has been not driving. Although my friends and husband have been fantastic in ferrying me around I absolutely hate having my independence taken away. Our local farmer, who is a good friend, has said I can take my car out for a spin on his land. Only drove for about 10 minutes but it was fantastic. although very tiring. I will book in for a couple of remedial driving lessons after I’ve passed the sight test, but my eyesight has come back to almost pre stroke levels so I’m not overly concerned. So looking forward to getting out & about again.

10 Likes

@clibbers1 Good for you. I am a little over one year since stroke and it feels so good to drive again. I felt so dependent on friends and family to taxi me here and there. I’m still a bit nervous to go too far. Grocery shopping and Home Depot (USA). The big problem now is getting out of the car (so stiff) and getting started to walk in the parking lot. The handicapped sticker is a great thing to have.
I had horrible double vision and it is now back to about 90% normal.
Good luck to you. Watch the speed limits. :blush:

5 Likes

I am almost one year since stroke and just starting to drive again. I’ve always driven any car anywhere but am very nervous now. I feel as if I’m driving like an old woman - which I am! - but didn’t use to drive like one!!
It’s too easy to let my husband drive but know I must persevere but it’s another thing that is so difficult now

5 Likes

@clibbers1 it’s fantastic when you get your freedom back. i got my licence back, got put on my husband’s insurance. And on Monday this week got my car. it’s brilliant. good luck

6 Likes

I’ve been back driving about a year and a half now. It was slow and gradual to begin with, just nipping down to the shops and such. I found it took me months to rebuild my confidence behind the wheel but now I’m going all over the place. I still leave the motorway driving to my husband but then I always did, the “A” roads are my limit. I don’t mind motorway driving at night as its quieter but day time is a no no :woozy_face:

4 Likes

@EmeraldEyes We call the motorways Highways here and I know what you mean. The highways are full of huge trucks (Lorries) and they scare me. When driving with three lanes and stuck between two of these beasts the heart flutters, and the spasticity worsens. We are close to New York, so the traffic is thick. I like my wee country roads.

4 Likes

Sure I will get more confident with time. I’ve been putting it off but do need to go places on my own without my long suffering husband chauffeuring me about! Like @clibbers1 there’s also being able to manage getting in and out of the car and walking to wherever you need to go

3 Likes

@clibbers1 thats really great. Here’s to getting through the sight test very soon & getting back on the road again x

2 Likes

I got myself a Ford C Max for that reason and found my passengers are loving how easy it is to get in and out of :grin: My mother-in-law in particular after her lung op and I occasionally give friends a lift from my stroke group, so they are all folk with some form of disability. The beauty about it is your knees are lower than your hips when getting out of it, so you’re better able to get leverage to your knees to come to a stand…and it’s not as big and bulky as an SUV, I don’t feel the need to drive a tank to my local supermarket :rofl:

3 Likes

Oh I know that heart flutter :sweat_smile: There’s one stretch on motorways near me that has a humped bridge you have to go over. And one day, before my stroke, I had to driver over it…in peak hour traffic :flushed: And I got myself stuck on the inside lane with articulated lorries to the front, back and right side of me and to the left was nothing but a rail between me and a sheer drop :scream: Never again am I doing that run, now I just close my eyes as my hubby drives over it no problem :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I bought a Yaris Hybrid about a month before my stroke so I’m definitely stuck with it! I really like it and it’s not too bad to get in and out of although as I’ve been sitting in husband’s passenger seat for so long I’m now having to work out getting in the opposite side of the car!

2 Likes

:rofl: Such are the simple things in life we once took so much for granted :grin:

3 Likes

I think I have answered this question before on a different post, but often get lost in the forum … well Apple, I am 77, so considered to be an old woman, though I never ever feel my age … :joy: . I am around 18 months post strokes and brain bleeds … never drove that far anyway, and during pandemic we never went anywhere, so any driving to hospital appointments etc, I just left it to my husband … then a couple months or so back I just picked up the keys, got in the car and drove around the block … I usually keep clear of motorways or city centres anyway, so wasn’t really a problem apart from still having that “can’t really be bothered” with things, which I have had since the strokes. I often feel just tired and lazy which is a nuisance

5 Likes

Oh yes @Apple takes some working out doesn’t it. I find i forget until I actually try & get in and realise my left leg still doesnt work :rofl:

1 Like

Snap! You would think we would remember by now!

3 Likes

I’ve got a tank, well a Mitsubishi Shogun, it’s 20 years old and I love it more than some of my family members :grinning: I usually tow my horse in a trailer with it but won’t be doing that for a little while so it will be used for the odd supermarket shop. Parking it was fun before the stroke so it will be hilarious now !!

3 Likes

Back in the day, I could drive a standard stick-shift. My goodness would that be a challenge now. Talk about neuroplasticity. :neutral_face:

1 Like

Its strange seeing everyone talking about driving, :blush: envious … still a lot of time to go

4 Likes