Made my will some time ago and would like to take people of that now don’t deserve what I gifted so can I just black out there names

1 Like

I think the safest way to make sure your wishes are observed is to make a new will.


I don’t think it’s as simple as just blacking out names, otherwise anyone could do that at any time right up to the time it’s read. And if you have a solicitor or anyone else keeping an original or copy (however it works) then who’s to say anyone else tampered with it. So you would certainly need the original witnesses to counter signs any amendments. Our solicitor holds our original I think but if your is the original I’d say scrap it and start again.


@Mickyboy Don’t alter your existing will. It’s far better to make a new will and destroy the old one. And of course you need to get the new will witnessed when you sign it.


No you can’t just alter it on your own and then have any confidence that it will be interpreted as per your wishes after your death.

You can alter it and then get a notary to notarize it . (This terminology tends not to be English terminology)

Traditionally the way to amend a will was to create a codicil.

This is a mechanism that avoided having to rewrite by hand (by typewriter) the whole thing. Basically you wrote in addendum and had it witnessed / notorietised. It’s clauses then over-rode specific bits of the original.

The legal profession has probably caught up with the typewriter, and might even be aware of the computer now - in which case you can create a new one easily - but at what cost for the professional involvement?

The internet is full of templates and advice for codicils. Some from lawyers wishing to attract business and others from charities wishing to attract legacies. Between the two they will inform you for free about what you have to do.

Depending on the complexity of the arrangements for the settlement of your estate, and how contentious you think it will be when your executors discharge your wishes you should be able to decide whether paying a fee to a professional would be cautious and wise or unnecessary.

Make sure that when you look at any you select from the jurisdiction of the courts that will apply to your assets - A will is essentially a contract and a contract is enforced by a court who will interpret according to tradition (precedent) and the written law



@Mickyboy no you can’t amend your will that way. You need to do a codicil or a new will that is properly witnessed. As @SimonInEdinburgh says the internet is full of help to do this but if youre not confident then my advice is to get a solicitor involved. Some charities will do wills for free. They would like a small legacy if you do it that way but it is not necessary.

1 Like