What have you achieved in 23?

Hi @all

I think most of us see joining this forum as part of the journey

A journey on a unfamiliar, new path whose features twists and turns we cannot see ahead. (as Kierkegaard said “life is lived forwards but understood backwards”)

This journey was caused, necessitated? by some scary life changing event that happened to either ourselves or a person we care deeply about .

Independently of when you joined, what improvements in that journey have you seen during 23?

By sharing them you’re not only give yourself some perspective to see the journey travelled but you lay out that backward understanding for others to consider the relevance of in there journey still to come

We are all at different stages of our journey so your description of your past year (or part year if you joined during the year) Can be inspiration for those who are earlier in their journey - including those who will join in the future

Ciao
Simon

5 Likes

Cognition! Marked by the purchase of my car :grin: For me that was the biggest and most important improvement of 2023. Who knows, maybe 2024 will be my year for the speech :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :crossed_fingers: :blush: :partying_face:

4 Likes

Returning to work for me - 18 mths post stroke. It has been the biggest struggle & remains so. At times I’ve felt like giving in to the struggle but have battled through with the help & support of my wonderful colleagues. It has bought me many benefits too though - particularly in relation to my mental health.

6 Likes

I hate to be the 2023 Grinch, but sadly, unlike many others my “type” of stroke has had me regressing rather than progressing. This unusual type of spasticity is gaining on me and seems to be winning the battle no matter how hard I fight, take meds, pray, meditate, or see physical therapists. I am in a dark place today…2024.
But: I wish you all a Happy and Healthy New Year.
Derek

4 Likes

:people_hugging: :people_hugging: :people_hugging:

I don’t like seeing you in the dark…need some more light :grin:

Have you seen your doctor about this Derek? If not, you should, if only for peace of mind.

1 Like

Hi Derek @Outlander

Sorry to hear things are going backwards for you :frowning:

Do you think the whole of 23 has been a regression?
My impression was that you were doing quite well until about September or maybe even November and that the spasticity started to get worse in the last quarter?

It seems that we need a thread where people contribute their strategies and researchers a bit like the one on central post stroke pain.

I don’t have any other suggestions except a little research. I guess so I got questions about how is it come on what level of exercise can you do? Have you tried the various supplements and alternate therapies that Roland @pando talks about?

I wish you a steady recovery in 24

Ciao
Simon

3 Likes

@SimonInEdinburgh
@EmeraldEyes
Simon, you are right about the time-line. I take Baclofen day time and Tizaninine at night. 3 days, every other day of strength training. Stationary bike everyday 30 minutes, and my own form of Tai Chi to music every day.
Lorraine: Just had my 3rd MRI and saw my neurologist (no stroke), but neurologist
has upped all my meds to full dose. He was not very positive about the spasticity resolving.
Thanks for your concern my good buddies.

2 Likes

Well, you’ve got me stumped, Derek

I guess you’re the best judge to say whether you’ve improved or regressed. I too, during the year, would complain that my wife, Chinese Dr, physios, rest of team were all lying when they claimed I was only improving… every rough spell that I noticed played havoc with my morale and mental strength. They would stick to their story, and I would stick to mine. It was a stalemate and I guess progress was neither here nor there.

But it’s important to remind ourselves that we cannot know the future, and that means anything is possible, so we might as well turn our positivity projections up a notch. The chances of improvement then go up. I often remind myself that things “get worse before they get better”, that things are getting better on the inside while what we see, on the outside, they seem not to. Or simply they are getting worse, but taking into account the “bigger picture”, dips and downward curves are not the whole picture… with that in mind, what I hope is that things are indeed sorting themselves out for yourself, albeit slowly.

Anyway, I wish you a turn-around this year, and not to give up hope,
You, or your body, may be very close to a breakthrough, we just cannot know that, so make sure you don’t make a U-turn unnecessarily. All the best, Roland

3 Likes

Roland: hard to keep a stiff upper lip. Two weeks ago my Neurologist ( a good one), said he never saw me walk so poorly…and that was with a cane.

2 Likes

My right eye, and right hand have never performed so poorly as today, either. It matters, but we must strive to improve at every turn. Maybe we can blame cold weather, good luck, Roland

2 Likes

Hi,
I can post for a part year stroke survivor.
I had 2nd stroke May 31, 2023.
So it’s been 7 months. And I didn’t lose any mobility or anything.
I lost strength in my left arm and I have neuropathy in my right hand and right foot. Some of my strength has come back in my left arm and I am lifting weights for my arms. I had a hard time holding anything with my left hand but I am able to hold something that’s not too heavy now. My neuropathy went from just tingling to a little bit of pain and stronger feelings of tingling, And then now I want to say It seems to be getting better and not as strong feeling. My hand and foot were very sensitive to cold and I’ve gotten better with that now. But I had brain fog from day one and it has not changed or gone away at all. It actually can be pretty strong on certain days when I get tired. That’s the biggest thing for me now is the brain fog. Is that what just go away or be intermittent even would be a big step!
I wish everyone the best, and can’t hope but everyone has improved in some ways, there is always hope!
Thanks, If you read this!

5 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one who feels like they are going backwards at the moment! I’ve defo got less energy, and am battling fatigue. I struggle to do my exercises and wonder if it’s worth it, I used to do more and not be so tired. I do have a little more energy in the morning, so I am trying to get more sleep.

Have seen a bit of improvement this year in walking, though it’s gone back this last couple of weeks or so to being poor to very poor, so I hope this is just part of the cycle of 2 1/2 steps forward and 2 back!

4 Likes

@Jfitz Maybe you’ll have a breakthrough in the Spring when the whole planet comes back to life? oops, I’ve just seen you’re in New Zealand, so in Summer right now. Well, hope you can get more sleep, that’ll lead to more energy in the day, good luck, Roland

2 Likes

Ooops - turns out I’ve got covid, probly had it for a few days, so no wonder the exercises were hard! I’ve got to rest now, so I’ll see you again in a bit!

Jean :face_with_thermometer:

3 Likes

We all had it for a couple of weeks before Christmas. A cough and head cold symptoms but it does wear you out and a complete and lack in motivation for everything. My hubby and 2 children were all the same.
Hope you feel much better in a couple of weeks too :people_hugging:

2 Likes

Hope you feel better soon @Jfitz

2 Likes

@Jfitz Jean, Get well soon. I have more cousins in NZ than I can count and an Auntie.
All in the Auckland area. I’ve been to the land of the long white cloud twice. What a gorgeous country you live in.
All the best, Derek

3 Likes

More twists turns than a twisty turny thing as blackadder once said

2 Likes

Hi Simon I’m now a year and a month post stroke and my journey has been full of ups and downs. My progress was very good at the beginning but it’s harder now to see the progress I’m making. I can certainly walk faster and further than I could but since my fall ido use a rollator when I’m out and about on my own . When and if the weather ever improves my New Year’s resolution is just to walk on my own wx maybe a stick for wobbly moments. My balance is improving slowly and I can definitely do more things at home. I still get pain in my affected side especially my arm wrist and shoulder but have given up getting any help from my dr who just tells me it’s stroke related . Maybe it is but I want to know what I can do instead of relying on painkillers!my strength and balance classes are definitely reaping benefits so with a positive mindset I intend to keep trying to improve . Love to allsuzywong x

2 Likes

With the pain being in your stroke arm, which is naturally weaker, could it possibly be the rollator that causing it as you put weight on it. Don’t know what you’d do to avoid it but maybe a bit of physio would help, or a session or two with an osteopath :thinking:

1 Like