What have you achieved in 23?

Hi I don’t think it’s the rollator . I’ve had pain in that arm since the beginning. It does ache more after a lot of use but I can’t do everything left handed and I need to use it to endeavour to strengthen it. An osteopath might be a good idea though thanks love Suzywong x

2 Likes

Yes, use it or lose it as the saying goes :face_with_diagonal_mouth: I hope you find some form of relief soon :people_hugging:

1 Like

Thanks for the prompt to look back at 2023, tend to just “keep on keeping on” (as @Bobbi says :sunglasses:).

A year of change to begin with, a bit of sadness and finally stability.

Beginning with sadness at leaving my previous job as i want able to progress as I wanted. I spent a lot of time on screen trying to carry out projects and improvement to processes and facilities. Too many “grey” days and very poor sleep nights, just like groundhog day and not really enjoyable. Really sad leaving some really supportive friends behind, i couldn’t have wanted for any more support and understanding in getting back to work.

Finding a new role was, back to hands on maintenance engineering, was a big success. New position suits really well, great people all prepared to make adjustments of i need them, thankfully none needed so far.

Me and my friends and family have all adjusted to how i am now, busy times take a day out to to get over but i am very fortunate that i can do everything i used to, just a bit less of it or less frequently. Iam where i am now, and comfortable with that.

Finally sadness at the end of the year, a good friend has Parkinson’s and also some form of dementia and is in a home and his wife passed away just before Xmas.

3 Likes

Hi @EssexPhil
I’m sorry to hear about your friend and his wife :frowning: these pass on condolences if appropriate

And I’m happy to hear that your job move has proved beneficial with good support from the folk around you :slight_smile:

Being purposefully occupied is I think a contributor to well-being which is in turn a foundation for capability development post stroke :slight_smile:

Yes the topic was aimed at providing a context where the three steps forward two steps backward that happens at the weekly level might not be so apparent and so progress would be more obvious… And that might provide a number of anecdotes that will provide hope and comfort to others who start on their journey now or in the future :slight_smile:
Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

Hi @Suzywong
Just a thought… I have had aches and pains in my affected side particularly my arm and back.

I think it fair to say at the moment they’re not present - What I found - which I don’t know to be cause & effect - is that by improving the range of movement I have with as Lorraine has said a philosophy of use it or lose it pains have reduced.

I’m rationalising that as when I was unable to move it much the nerves and tendons shortened and the muscles atrified. By attempting to use it in everyday activities - which of course I couldn’t usefully achieve and to a large degree still can’t - I caused the nerves and tendons and muscles to be talked to by the brain and then extended and gently exercised.

Mostly I would move my arm as much as I was able and hold for 10 or 15 seconds and then try to move another 1% and hold for 10 or 15 seconds and then relax and I would do this multiple times a day. Eg at door handles and light switches

In 3 years I have got to the position state where I can almost put my right arm out straight to my side - like a crucifix - and pick up an object and then place it in front of me (although I still haven’t got to the stage where I can let go of it then!) But what it has done has seen a reduction in the amount of pain I get .

I think it’s still long road that I have to travel I can put the upper arm from the shoulder into the right position with ease, but getting the lower arm from the elbow to extend is still a challenge as many muscles fire. I don’t think the nerves and tendons are now the limiting factor it’s the brain talking to the subset of muscles but at least it doesn’t hurt :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

My two cents worth maybe of used to you?
Ciao
Simon

2 Likes

So now start pushing walls with it. Try flattening your hand against the wall and push!

Oh, and another one you could try is, grab hold of a chair back, straightening your arm out as best you can, and press down on the chairback as you bend down. Always maintaining that pushing down effect in your hand.
It’s helps activate your shoulder muscles to right under your armpit if your doing it right . . . same goes for pushing the wall :wink:

1 Like

Sadly, while I can put my arm out to the side (I can put it out to the front as well but) I cannot put the wrist back and the fingers out to lay flat on the wall. As soon as I try and do wall push-ups my fingers curl into the palm of my hand. This has been one of my barriers to not lift. I can put the hand out flat when I am fully relaxed and I can bend the rest back and I’m lying down

I’ll try the chair one :slight_smile: thnx

The challenge isn’t range it’s it is isolation of the required muscles from the ones that shouldn’t be involved.
Thanks
:slight_smile:

1 Like

@Outlander @EmeraldEyes @Mrs5K Tested clear ysterday (only 4 days, but really crashed) back on deck now but v tired, thanks for your posts :neutral_face:

2 Likes

Yes it does get you that way, it might still be a day or two before you overcome that tired feeling, it does wipe you out.
Glad you’re getting over it though :people_hugging: :smile:

1 Like

@SimonInEdinburgh my biggest achievement was finally after a year of jumping through hoops of receiving my drivers licence back, almost after 3 years of having my stroke. It too so long as i had suffered a number of seizures, so had to be seizure free for a year. woop woop free to drive again, plus i got myself a car too. an automatic, as gears frightened the hell out of me now

4 Likes

Glad you are starting to feel better. It may take a few days for the tiredness to go. It did for my hubby at least.

3 Likes