What do you think of this?

I have seen this video on you tube pop up loads of times but have dismissed it as some wacky US clinic with a solution which won’t stand up to scrutiny.

Is it faked, is it total BS etc

Well the solution which briefly flashes up in the screen is Perispinal etanercept. This is the treatment which Andrew Marr went to the US for. When you look at it further, not too many mentions in the UK. Lots of side effects but you got to say, the difference between before and after is pretty remarkable.

2 Likes

Who knows ? I have seen it before, and did wonder.
I would like it to be true. Does anyone know about this therapy?

3 Likes

Guardian article about Andrew Marr treatment (ditto below)

Andrew Marr treatment in USA 2016

Andrew Marr reports on outcome of the treatment mentioned above:

Andrew Marr the outcome

1 Like

Bit more here on Andrew Marr

2 Likes

Oh yes, now I remember,
This is somewhere near Florida?

Anyway, I asked my Chinese Dr. over 6 months ago and he said it’s too risky to inject this stuff into your spine. So I’m slogging it out the traditional way. I’ve had plenty of non-traditional (some excellent) methods applied already anyway.

ciao, Roland

2 Likes

Yeh there does seem to be an element of risk with that one Roland.
They tip you upside down when it’s administered so it flows into your brain.

Worth the possible risk of heart failure. That’s quite a Biggie

3 Likes

The conclusions seems to be that he had a stroke and subsequent journey that many of us would would say is typical of the things we see in this forum

That his hanging upside down to have something injected in his spine had " minor useful improvements", The risks other identified for him didn’t materialise but we don’t know if that just means they why not reported.
I would guess the passage of time for the rest of us has minor a useful improvements. I wonder if the news articles reporting on him were actually able to attribute anything specifically to that treatment?

And lastely that there was a brief blip in news coverage and then the coverage died down & went back to normal

4 Likes

I am unaware of any specifics more than anyone else here, but I call BS. My gut feeling is don’t trust it. Especially coming from Florida. If the US had a good treatment, even a risky one, that money can be made on, it would be touted to the ends of the earth by many. We are materialistic that way.

5 Likes

Andrew Marr was pretty brave to try it by the looks of things. Not much at all here which was favourable.
Generates a lot of money

Clinical Context
The practice advisory authors have very low confidence in the evidence for efficacy of etanercept for poststroke disability because of the high risk of
bias of the relevant studies. The biological plausibility of benefit was judged to be low because of the reported immediate onset of benefit and single
administration of a transiently acting medication. Explanations other than the effectiveness of the treatment for the observed improvements include
observer expectation,performance motivation, regression to the mean,and the placebo effect.
Although adverse events of etanercept were not described in these studies, serious adverse events are described in studies of patients receiving
etanercept for other conditions.Such events include injection site reactions, reactivation of tuberculosis, reactivation of hepatitis B virus infection,
congestive heart failure, demyelinating neurologic disorders, vasculitis, and hematologic disorders such as aplastic anemia and pancytopenia. A
recent randomized trial of subcutaneous etanercept 50 mg once weekly for 24 weeks for the treatment of Alzheimer disease reported no significant
difference in the adverse event rates between patients treated with placebo and patients treated with etanercept.However, the study lacked
the statistical precision to exclude uncommon, potentially serious adverse events. It is unclear whether the adverse event profile resulting from the
recurrent use of etanercept can be generalized to the time-limited perispinal administration used for the treatment of poststroke disability. Given the
limitations of the efficacy of the evidence and the potential for serious adverse events, [the practice advisory authors] judge the risk-benefit tradeoffs
of etanercept for poststroke disability to be unfavorable.
As of this writing, the cost of a 25-mg vial of etanercept is about $440 in US currency. Additional costs associated with the pretreatment evaluation
and administration of perispinal etanercept are likely to be substantially higher.

3 Likes

Maybe just the hanging upside-down effect relieved something between the spinal disks enough to allow a little more freedom of movement. I’d be willing to try that but to inject an untried concoction into my spine is a no no for me :grimacing:. I’ve had 3 epidurals in the past 5yrs and they are risky enough.

2 Likes

I am genuinely surprised that someone so high profile as Andrew Marr tried something so untested and which potentially had such dangerous outcomes.

3 Likes

Reading between the lines I’m not certain whether he actually was or was not given this injection. Certainly the result was not life changing or that would have been reported for sure.

Around that time it was reported that he investigated a number of treatments all of which promised to help those with stroke. If you have money there are many things you can try but long term benefit is not guaranteed and again no remarkable results were announced in connection with anything Mr. Marr came across during his research.

He overcame speech loss, recovered a degree of mobility and preferred not to discuss the matter. These are more likely the result of ordinary NHS therapy than any miracle cure.

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :smiley: :+1:

4 Likes

Now if it was tested on a 15yrs post stroke patient I might have been a tad excited for the future of those stroke warriors.

And according to The Guardian, Andrew Marr said this in April this year:
‘…though I’ve still got deficits: I’m hemiplegic, my left arm really doesn’t work much, my left leg only works a bit, I walk in a sort of jerky way. I can’t do my laces. I can’t cycle. I can’t run. I can’t swim. But I focus on what I can do, which includes painting and drawing, and I try to walk five miles a day…’
Andrew Marr: ‘I’ve had an incredibly good decade since my stroke’ | Andrew Marr | The Guardian
So if he went for that treatment it clearly didn’t work.

3 Likes

I do front and back somersaults in the pool. I was trying to undo the vertigo/vestibular affects I suffer with my eyes. LOL. Did no harm, nor good, for that, but it does help my spine and left side feel better to move in ways I could not out of water!

2 Likes

“Left leg only works a bit… I try to walk five miles a day.”
errrr… no, that cannot be ; one of those statements is off.

2 Likes

Must take him all day :woozy_face:

2 Likes

…that’s possible, I didn’t think of that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Haven’t tried back somersaults since I had stroke but it always used to make water go up my nose !

1 Like

The trick is to blow breath out of your nose at the same time.

2 Likes

Yep that’s what I did. I was quite the little fish up until about the age of 21

:slight_smile:

1 Like