Want an arm/hand upgrade? Download here . .

Somewhere, in this wonderful treasure trove of a community forum, I am sure this has been mentioned before but it might be new to you. Perhaps useful, even.

It will cost you no more than determination and some of your time.

As they, whoever they are, frequently say,

“It’s never too late to mend.”

So if mending is on your agenda try this upgrade download:

keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :grin: :+1:

Pinched from "Our new funnies thread: "

Plenty more where that came from.

Laughter is always the best medicine.

Judging by the number of clicks showing on the download button it would appear that there is a demand for something that could produce results.

There are many who make promises, leading this way and that, but who can demonstrate a tangible, real world, valuable effect for all the effort involved?

I wish you well but can’t offer any guarantees. If you do have something positive, useful and freely available, there is a demand. Unfortunately those promises tend to disappoint and one is left to deal with it.

I suppose we can always live in hope, or cut our losses, shrug and accept what has become another everyday.

4 Likes

Performing these exercises as a group might be worth looking into.
(even if only as another social occasion - a trouble shared is a trouble halved)

Involvement with others can provide incentive, encouragement and purpose.

A local group might be interested or you might get together with a few others for a regular online video session.

Try discussing the possibilities on this or any forum or in a chat room.

The world, the internet, is your training ground. It can be somewhere to go, something to do.

Try to avoid circular saws, chainsaws and similar for now.

:heart:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Bobbi. Very useful for all those needing to work on their arm / hand movements.

And i’ll try & stay away from chainsaws :rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

@Bobbi glad you’re raising awareness of this :clap: :clap: :clap:
Your also right that it’s been mentioned - quiet a few times.

If someone is inspired to use GRASP then they really also need the hospital manual. The patient home guide has the exercises but the hospital guide has the structure - because the home guide exercises also widely copied and referred to folks may have come across some of them. The key to grasp is the Graded - that’s generally interpreted by PT’s as requiring record-keeping - there’s mileage up for discussion in that

The GRASP program was discussed & links to the source of the guides at U of BC in this post (and others) - this site contains the latest copies but requires a registration. I have both at version 2 if anybody wants them and doesn’t want the faff of registration.

I fully support your idea that a self-help group would make a positive difference & should be fully supported by all - let’s set one up :slight_smile:

The seminal program for upper limb in the UK is the Queen’s Square program under professor Nick Ward.

I’m getting some folk together with two graduates of that program to have a zoom chat at 16:30 on the 30th of July '24 using the cafe link https://bit.ly/StrokeCafe and ANYBODY who wants to join us to hear about their experiences and talk about whether we could replicate something inspired

Everyone is welcome to join us :slight_smile:

One of the programs graduates is Mike who finished the residential portion last week says that it doubled his upper limb ability. But was a very gruelling 3 weeks!

Here’s a snapshot of one weeks agenda!

It would be great if we got a self help group around grasp or anything else running :slight_smile:

Caio
Simon

1 Like

But sometimes its so tempting to amputate the ring finger of my right hand. I’m sure it would make my typing so much easier. Even though there’d be a lot of missing letters in my text, I’m sure you’d all still manage to read my gobbledegook :rofl:

I regularly use a chainsaw & hedge trimmer, this week I’ve made a fair amount of a jigsaw, reciprocation saw and circular saws including a plunge saw!

It is a struggle one handed and there is a need for caution! The chainsaw I bought specifically because I could use it one handed it’s a 6" blade battery operated one. The jig & circular are the biggest challenge because I can’t get 2 hands on them - left is ok but right isn’t. Can place it where I want it with the left hand but it doesn’t stay there so I have to do lots and lots and lots of adjustments every 5 or 10 seconds but I’m getting the jobs done and I’m getting a good sense of achievement when I finish - and I’m totally cream crackered at the end of most days - that’s a good thing :slight_smile:

I’m noticing progress in my daily living capabilities from striving to do this stuff

:slight_smile:

onwards& upwards

2 Likes