Two interesting findings

Coffee a good thing.Drinking large amounts of green tea or a single cup of coffee each day may reduce the risk of death for people who survive heart attacks and strokes, new research shows. increases the stamina of the body’s muscles, allowing them to work longer and harder before exhaustion sets in. In moderation, says UCLA neurologist Jeffrey L. Saver, caffeine intake is fine for patients who have suffered a stroke. But moderate is the key word here.

Fish oil and quinine for spasticity.

Individuals have reported benefit from fish oil, which blocks activity of the sodium channels used to contract muscles and quinine. Quinine is found in tonic water.( I like Schweppes).
I had given up coffee for a year after my stroke. I am now having one cup in the morning and it is a wonderful tonic and gives me more clarity and energy to exercise.
Careful now…we don’t mean GIN and tonic…lol

10 Likes

@Outlander One thing to watch is that caffeine is a diuretic, so keep up the water intake.
Don’t know whether a gin in your tonic would hurt but I stopped drinking alcohol after my stroke. No idea if it helps but it seemed to make sense while my brain has so much rebuilding work to do. Also my fatigue is pretty bad so I guess alcohol would probably make it worse.

5 Likes

@Strings Haven’t touched a drop since my stroke.
I miss my “wee Dram”.

2 Likes

@I miss it too but the willpower is holding up so far :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do like a coffee or 3. Try & limit it a bit now & have a fruit tea or 2 as well.

My dad used to drink tonic water for cramps. The quinine is meant to help that too. Seemed to help my dad.

4 Likes

I didn’t drink coffee for a little while after stroke, but then it occurred to me that caffeine stimulates brain activity, and that’s just what I needed, so I have two or sometimes three cups a day now. I see it as an aid for a brain that gets drained quickly.

7 Likes

Aaah that explains it. I love my coffee and drink it all day, every day.

Someone once said about me “He seems very quiet, but when you get to know him, you just wish he would shut up for a bit!”.

It’s the coffee, honest folks. Another cuppa? Yes please!

I quite like a sardine sandwich, too.

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :smiley: :+1:

6 Likes

I drink coffee now - I’m 3 years post - and I also drink a G&T occasionally (and wine at the weekend pref. red) my staple during the day is various forms of diluting juice and in the evening it’s a non-alcoholic beer - there are some surprisingly good ones - and a full fat one every now and again.

:slight_smile: :woozy_face:

2 Likes

@SimonInEdinburgh
@Bobbi
My Doctor said the occasional glass of wine would actually be good for me.
I’m thinking of going back to a beer once in a while and they say wheat beers are very healthy.
Those sardines are full of Omega 3 oils: good for the brain.

5 Likes

I’ve always been a tea total but occasionally liked a very weak coffee. But after my stroke I got a craving for coffee so I started using those Nescafe Gold Irish Latte sachets, just one a day when the need arises. Which is interesting because my mum used to always say answer your cravings because it usually means it’s something you are lacking in.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

I miss making my own beer, it was a rewarding hobby, I had all the gear and dispensed it on draught. Brewing involves a lot of heavy lifting and brew day takes quite a few hours of intensive effort. I promise myself that if or when I get strong enough I’ll make a 20 litre batch again.
For now a cuppa will have to do.

6 Likes

Often for lunch, I will have a tin of sardines, packet of salt ‘n’ vinegar crisps, and a small block of cheese. It’s my fatigue lunch, as I keep stockpiles of them in my study, and when I am feeling low, or lacking in energy, I don’t have to go to the kitchen.

4 Likes

@Rups
Sounds like a very pleasant afternoon tea.

4 Likes

Interesting. I’ve cut caffeine completely (may be some hidden somewhere)
So no tea or coffee and only caffeine free coke to help with my blood pressure.

Maybe I’ll give it a go​:face_with_peeking_eye::face_with_peeking_eye:

3 Likes

I used to live on green tea. it dilates the vascular system lowering blood pressure.
Not so much, now. Not sure why, but it’s either ginger tea, camomile or Roy bush.
Fish oil every lunch time
Schweppes & Quinine ; I’ve known about it, so must give it another go, then
(see post below on ubiquinone)
Since the parents-in-law are here I have been having a touch of wine (half a glass each day) with interesting results. It loosens / relaxes my brain. They leave tomorrow. The most I will then have is a glass of Cider on the weekend.

Good thread, ciao, Roland

1 Like

Outlander suggests Fish oil and quinine for spasticity.
Well silly me ; my bio-mechanic suggested a supplement called ubiquinone
which I have been taking
I think it is the same thing, only probably better for you than schweppes
I wonder if it would be helpful to list everything I take ( in terms of supplements )

ciao, Roland

4 Likes

@pando Roland: interesting and would like to know more…Thanks!

4 Likes

While we wait on your list, here’s mine and I take them with my breakfast:
Folic Acid - 1 x 400µg tab
Vitamin B12 - 1 x 1000µg tab
Calcium, Magnesium, & Zinc with vitamin D3 - 2 x 470g tabs

3 Likes

Mine is Boots A-Z z50 +
:slight_smile:

1 Like

2 1/2 years on from my stroke.
An espresso to start the day but then no more coffee.
Maybe a beer or 2 per week
When it’s cooler, the occasional malt whisky, but it has to be a good one!!

2 Likes