Sudden disorientation whilst driving after TIA, anyone else?

Hi guys,

Me again!

Immediately after my husband’s TIA (the 2 days following TIA before he seeked medical help), he experienced 2 episodes of feeling very disorientated whilst driving, so much so that he had to pull over.

Anyway, yesterday he had his follow-up appointment at stroke clinic who are happy with his progress and subsequently discharged him, having given him lifestyle advice and medications.

As its been a month he can now start driving, and did today. Again he felt disorientated whislt driving and very uneasy all of the sudden, and almost had to pull over. (No TIA sysmptoms).

It seems odd that this is happening whilst driving. Has anyone else had something similar?

Thanks x

1 Like

@Karenemma i haven’t experienced this but could it be he is getting a bit anxious whilst driving? That might bring on those sort of symptoms.

Is fatigue playing a part? That can make you feel rubbish. It could have been present after the TIA & still there now.

It might be worth speaking to hus GP so they can check all ok & put your minds at rest.

Best wishes

Ann

2 Likes

I agree with Ann. Driving is quite a challenge for a ‘stroked’ brain and he could be suffering some anxiety. Also, his meds could be causing a few problems (although this would cause problems even when not driving).

2 Likes

From the DVLA website “You must tell DVLA if you experience dizziness that is sudden, disabling or recurrent.

They require submission of a form

There can be a £1,000 fine for driving while suffering dizziness or other disorientation and criminal prosecution if it causes an accident

I think when you check with your insurer that the insurance is voided by not being fit - my guess

Slightly more details from the NHS here or maybe maybe I should just say more words to say the same thing

There is lots on the web if you search for motorists disorientation syndrome. It’s cause is vestibular so your husband’s distress may not indicate further stroke or TIA problems But does require notifications DVLA and you might choose further medical examination.

I can sympathise with how concerning it can be, I’m not driving but I am getting daily episodes of woozy or space-ness and I can feel the anxiety rise when they occur.

Fingers crossed for you both :people_hugging:
Simon

3 Likes

Personally I think it’s just too soon for your husband to be driving again, he should really give 3mths+ before attempting to drive again. Then do a number of test drives on some quiet streets/carparks with you beside him. Does he experience the same in car as a passenger?

The thing is, his brain has suffered a major trauma regardless of what type of stroke it was. The one difference between a TIA and full blown stroke is a block vessel has managed to clear itself without the need of the medical intervention of a full blown stroke i.e no need for the clot busting drug or surgery. The brain has still suffered a blow that does need time to heal and repair itself. Driving require a lot of concentration, quick reaction time and very taxing on the brain. He’s putting his brain under a great deal of pressure; like a surgeon trying to perform a lobotomy whilst speeding down a motorway. He’s supposed to resting his brain, giving it time to heal!

5 Likes

I’ve just been given the OK to start driving again after 7 months. Before I get back out on the road again I will be doing a refresher course of lessons. Yes I could go out there tomorrow but I know I’m not ready. I would never forgive myself if I caused an accident. Give it some time before driving again.

3 Likes

With new found mobility, I hope that trip to the stables will be easily in range and as frequent as you wish, and that opens up, I guess what will be the possibility of much joy (?)

Almost a Christmas present?
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for all your replies.

Thats interesting what you say EmeraldEyes and I hadnt really thought about it in this way. It does make sense though.

His consultant did say its surprising that, even though it was quite a relatively small event it does have quite an impact on the brain. Even with a clear ct and mri I guess.

Im hoping that in time this disorientation will fade as he recovers :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

And he has every chances of doing that! He’s gotten off relatively lightly, he wants to keep it that way. He’ll be better off as a passenger where his can brain can reorient itself gradually without being bombarded with both information and instructions.

It can as much as 20 weeks for broken bones to knit together, but it can take up to a year to get it back to full strength (depending) :wink:

2 Likes

If I may I am going to go on a slight tangent on this theme of disorientation. I am not allowed to drive any more and one reason for this is what I would describe as ‘disorientation’.
I suffer from this when I am walking around in busy places. My brain does not seem able to coordinate the movement of other people when I am out and about. This is most noticable in busy supermarkets and I can feel disorientated and I ‘freeze’ and stand motionless just holding on to my trolley.
I am wondering if this may be a similar ‘disorientation’ to that which your husband experiences.

3 Likes

Thanks for your message. It could well be. Im just not sure yet.

Was it a tia you had?

1 Like

My brain scan showed that there had been several TIA’s or as my medical notes state - ‘multiple small strokes’.

1 Like