Statins......for or against

Hi all I’m thinking about coming off my statins to see what I’m left with.
My joints are agony, I can’t sleep and my skin is itching.
If I come off them for a month and see what changes at least I’ll know if it’s the medication or post stroke symptoms.
Has anyone else gone down this road?

3 Likes

Was your cholesterol raised? If so I wouldn’t just stop taking them. There are many alternatives out there. I take statins but have no known side effects. I would advise speaking with your GP or pharmacist first

3 Likes

My cholesterol has never been raised. It one size fits all in the world of stroke. Put them on statins.
That’s fine so long as they aren’t compromising your quality of life.
I have changed from Atorvastatin to Pravastatin already with no improvement sadly. My cholesterol is 4.2.
I just need to know if it is the statins causing it. The only way to do that is to stop talking them.
I’ll ask my GP and see what she says.

3 Likes

Hope you find out the cause & get some relief soon. It must be horrid for you x

2 Likes

Ezetimibe has been mentioned to me before. I’m wondering whether to try them as a last ditch effort. Thanks for your input.

Hi @Pisceslady2023
You’re absolutely right that it’s a one size fits all knee jerk had a stroke have a statin. Also that statins have a very mixed press they seem to be behind an awful lot of potential side effects

As the thread has revealed there are a wide range of anti-cholesterol medications most of which are statins and within that there’s also a wide range of statins - the side effects of each different.
I agree you’re right - quality of life has to be a factor. I think another factor is bodily acclimatisation to whatever you are on. there may be a choice between swapping meds or leaving mids that are unpleasant longer for you to get used to them but that’s no guarantee and not pleasant during the test .

I’ve had holidays from my statin with a pre and post wide spectrum of blood tests to see what happened - no useful cause and effect was established. I’m currently on 40 mg of atrovostatin which I think is probably because it’s the cheapest

Ciao Simon

2 Likes

It’s just as well I’ve been reading this post today because I decided to check what dose of Atorvastatin I’m on. Just noticed on the label for this prescription, the chemist was out of the 20mg tablets so has given me 10mg to take 2 a day…I’ve only been taking the one :blush:

I’ve never really had no noticeable side effects from Atorvastatin , but I decided to take a weeks break, just out of curiosity, and gone back on them with no noticeable differences either way. But they are supposed to help reduce the risk of stroke…that didn’t work out well for me either…but I will carry on regardless. As they say, it helps to “reduce” the risk of a stroke…not “eliminate” it. And, come to think of it, mine was TIA or mini stroke, so who knows, it could have been a lot worse if it wasn’t for the fact I was already on them.

But I’ll wait now until Saturday to go back up to 20mg. I hate starting pills that are out of sync with the rest because I dispense them into a weekly pill box. I know, I can be very anal that way :blush:

1 Like

I feel this is bog standard post-stroke precautionary medication but I also feel it is open for negotiation. The stroke I had was caused by trauma to my neck, and yet I was still prescribed statins. Tried Atorvastatin which suited me badly, and switched to Rosuvastatin which seems okay for me. A lifetime of needlessly taking a medication must cost the NHS millions.

3 Likes

I was on Atorvastatin 80mg. That’s the highest dose. They just didn’t suit me. Joint pain, itchy skin, insomnia. Awful. I’m on Pravastatin now 40mg. Not a lot of different to be honest. I’ll speak to my GP as soon as possible

2 Likes

Hi I have struggled with just about every type of statin & alternatives. Currently on Rosuvastatin which are the best so far. I locked up on atorvastatin. 80 mg., even on 40 mg I had issues.
Coenzyme Q10 helps me greatly, oddly different manufacturers of generic statins have less side effects. Crestor which is AstraZeneca is best for me of the rosuvastins. I even bought 4 months supply in Spain where you can buy over the counter without a prescription. I alternate between the English supply & Crestor as I can’t specify which supplier I want @ our chemist.
Atorvastin varies equally

2 Likes

The doctor kept increasing the dose to get an appropriate reduction in cholesterol levels. It never really reduced it.

Variation of generic meds by manufacturer is an interesting observation I haven’t heard of before I just thought there was a fairly well defined chemical formula so perhaps variation inside effect is related to the carriers that deactive ingredient is mixed with

Hi Simon.

I’ve been taking 40 mg of Atorvastatin since my stroke 12 months ago. Unfortunately I’m experiencing really bad cramps if I have been active. Have you experienced any problems with cramp?

My cholesterol is currently low at 2.7 but I was told statins have other benefits as well as lowering cholesterol.

I’m thinking of lowering my dosage.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Best wishes

Cynthia

1 Like

Think you need to speak with your doctor as that sounds a little too effective.

Hi @Cynthiaro5e
Yeah I’m now on 40 down from 80 because my GP said the increase in the quality of life and the decrease in the length of it are probably a good trade-off .

I don’t get cramps but I do have a feeling in my calves the crampy just about to occur every time I flex my foot in the wrong direction and I have to quickly retract whatever the movement is to avoid it

Sounds very similar to me. I get cramp is feet, ankles, shins, calves, lower arms, wrists and hands when I’ve been active (bowls). I’m seeing my doctor soon so hopefully I’ll be given some advice.

Hope you get sorted soon.

Cynthia

I assume that bowls as in crown green as opposed to a typo for bowels?

I was and am still getting really bad itching and blood bruises under my skin but stroke doctor thinks this is due to clopidogrel rather than the statins. Are you on a blood thinner as well? They’ve changed me to 75mg of aspirin instead so need to see if makes as difference. Hope you get it sorted

1 Like

Made me laugh. I do have problems with some words (occasionally my bowels) but we play crown green bowls. It’s what keeps me going really. Know I’m lucky in that respect. I also go to an arts club. Everyone is very supportive at both. Would recommend joining a group(s) if at all possible.

1 Like

Hi Jacqueline

I bruise very easily and put that down to Clopidogrel - 75mg/day.

Sending best wishes.

Cynthia

1 Like