Something to read

Casting my mind back to early stroke days . . . and nights, I wasn’t sleeping much.
I was laid almost immobile on my bed for the whole time, so not really doing anything to make me tired. A lot of the time was spent in abject boredom. I would talk at any, nurse, doctor, cleaner, visitor, anyone who came near, they didn’t stand a chance, I would pounce.

It was much the same when I got home. Until I found a way to roll over on my side and suddenly I was out cold for a few hours.

I still don’t go out cold for 8 hours, but my life is sedentary, and being retired I can cat nap anytime. I don’t stress about attempting to return to some sort of ‘normality’ when I’m not even sure what that means.

I certainly won’t be marching off to someone else’s tune.

2 Likes

Thank you for that most lovely of a response. It put a smile on my face.

I agree with everything you said. :100: In life, the word “normal” loses value as we see things more clearly, I believe. Please continue, then, beating to your own drum.

You take good care of yourself.

Much love, peace and kindness back to you.

3 Likes

@garethc970

I found Stronger After Stroke very helpful, but I don’t remember much help on dysarthria. I think I would specifically look for books addressing that. Speaking was non existent for me for awhile, as was swallowing. I had exercises much like music scales…E was the hardest of all to finally get. Took about a year. I have some “breathing” tools I have shared in the past that were helpful in strengthening my ‘throat’ muscles (larynx, vocal cords, esophagus).

Like @Rups, I prefer to read neurology updates over anything else at this point, as the physical is now OK. Could be better, but I would like some of the executive functions to catch up as well as the pain and fatigue to get a bit better.

I have never been one much for fiction. I do read some for fun, but even it must teach me something… Usually science, geography, or history.

3 Likes

Fiction can exercise the mind more than factual based reading though as it requires a lot more creativity of the mind and imagination. Your brain works harder!

1 Like

I can see that. I had pictured the Harry Potter series in my mind before the movies, which were much more vivid for me. (My daughter made me read them with her, as well as go to the midnight book sales, and midnight movie openings, and even dress up).

I am not much for fantasy or sci-fi, romance is blah to me, no war stuff, so that leaves me with Steinbeck, Faulkner, Dostoyevsky, Poe and 2 minute mysteries, poetry or other fictions that bring up social or cultural issues, or philosophies. Animal Farm is a favorite. I actually did enjoy Brave New World and The Giver (sci-fi, but really sociology models).

What do you like to read, or Who? Any suggestions? I will read it if you suggest it. My genres are more of a guide than a rule. I watch romance, mostly romantic comedy, and I watch fantasy or sci fi occasionally. A good mystery is fantastic, but finding a good one is hard since Agatha Christie.

3 Likes

sometimes. like a tree falling silently in the forest, it seems there is no one to hear.

plenty to chew on here:

Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck

Narziss (Narcissus) and Goldmunde - Herman Hess

Gormenghast - Mervyn Peake

The Sword in the Stone - T H White

The Illusionist - Anita Mason

The Covent Garden Ladies - Hallie Rubenhold

The Shadow Line - Joseph Conrad

:open_book: :smile: :+1:

3 Likes

I don’t agree some of the assertions made here. I think I’ve read “everyone is better off reading stories”

IMHO everybody is better off by selecting what appeals to them.

if fiction or nonfiction is what suits the personality of the person then so beit. Lea reads cookery books like novels. I don’t! In fact on my agenda today is to look at some of my ‘picture books’ of which I will post some pictures in the photo thread later :slight_smile: - that description is a little misleading as will become clear…

Within the options available there are a couple thousand years of literature - from the times of the greeks, old texts from Norse and other traditions like The Knight in the Panther’s Skin.

There’s also things like Gulliver’s travels or the works of Marlow Johnson Dryden or jump a few years Dickens etc al or … and all the other socio- political commentary and and and without limit. Not to mention all the stuff on gardening or birds or architecture or philosophy or…

2 Likes

I’m into crime fiction myself and have a lovely recommendation if you’re interested called The Thursday Murder Club by by Richard Osman. It’s a series of 4 books to dated. It’s a group of pensioners who run a club in their retirement village, try to solve cold cases. It both taxes the mind keeping track of the details with a level of humour in it too.

Or ‘The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared’. And yes, that is the title, by Jason Jonasson … basically an old man gives staff the slip at his care home and goes off on his adventure, another humourus one.

But my current top favourite crime fiction writers are M.W Craven, Steve Cavanagh and T.M. Payne.:grin:

But none of my recommendations are any to do with strokes :blush:

2 Likes

My favourite book of all time. :smiley:

3 Likes

@Rups
You might like Narziss and Goldmunde it has a medieval setting. It is a classic.

2 Likes

I might indeed, I have read Steppenwolf, a long time ago. At the moment I am chewing my way through The Memoirs of Casanova; In London and Moscow, it is a 600 page plus waffle, and my privy paperback is Rob Grant’s Red Dwarf novel, Backwards. I read all sorts of stuff, I tend to choose my reading matter by way of my mood at that particular given point of time.

1 Like

:slight_smile:

My privy item is Three Mena In A Boat Jerome k Jerome & has been for about 10mths! I’m up to about page 40!! :frowning:

I keep looking at the Wilt books which are on the bookshelf in the loo and I found very funny on the first reading what seems like a century ago!

On an entirely different note I had a jab for something unpronounceable or is that unmemorable but related to pneumonia yesterday and I feel really weird in the head today. My anxiety level is rising :frowning:

2 Likes

Might be psychosomatic, but they do say, report any side-effects you might feel you have after such things like jabs &c. Tom Sharpe is included in my privy selection too. I prefer light reads when it comes to the throne room. I hope this weird feeling you are having, subsides. Is it a self-fulfilling prophecy? Were you anxious about the jab, and then became anxious about the anxiety, causing your head to feel weird?

1 Like

Those actually sound right up my alley. I have seen netflix movies or series with basically the same premises, that I have thoroughly enjoyed. That I can read. I will be looking for library books, hopefully in print, rather than online. My head has trouble with being online too long. Thank you for some great suggestions. Fun fiction!

2 Likes

I suspect this is a great list as well, having read 4 of them, but not recently. Gormenghast, The Illusionist and The Shadow Line, I have not heard of. But the Illusionist sounds great just by name…Thank you for the suggestions. I don’t go to library. Looking online is hades for me. Way too much for my eyes just in the search, or looking at pictures, even. Short spurts, but the library will kick me out for inactivity, and most shopping spots as well. I may as well throw a dart and get the closest book to where it lands. Fiction is hard to look for by topic, easier by author, but I mostly prefer changing around to read something truly different. Something funny is more funny if I am only reading it every so often. Ditto for a tear jerker. If I read one of those often, I may become disaffected, or apathetic…

2 Likes

Ohhh silly me - I should have said my recent purchase (last weekend) is called “the Black Book of Gyffe”

From Google books - I’m 1% so far

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Gosh, I hope you enjoy it. Interestingly enough, the final edit was done while I was having TIAs, so I haven’t revisited it. I’m currently sitting on the first paragraph of another book, that is essentially written in my mind, but I’m struggling with fatigue versus output at the moment. :sloth: :turtle: :snail:

2 Likes

My library is excellent, and I can sit there all day if I like, and there is free coffee :coffee: It’s also got a retro gaming hub where I am to be found playing classics like Golden Axe on the Sega Mega System. I’m sure I look out of place in that room, with my grey hair and cane, while all the yoofs hang-out, watching this wobbly old fella balance on his stool, anchored only by a wired joy con.

2 Likes

That actually sounds fun!

I wish we had something like that! Here there are hardly any books anymore, although many online choices. Magazines and music are also online now. No cozy nooks or couches anymore. Here is the city they are very stark places, it’s about the cheap architecture of the building more than anything else. In the county just south, where I moved here from, there are so many different things to do…a real community center atmosphere, with cushy couches and fireplaces, very quiet spots with plants, kid areas, youth areas, adult areas, and plenty of room for classes of all kinds, and room for team work. Not just books, but also computers, sewing machines, art rooms…a paradise to me. I want to go play again…

Wonder what it would cost to get a Lyft or Uber to there? Now I want to find out. Your fault I now feel like I am missing out @Rups, but thank you for the fond memories.

3 Likes

Go look, find out, your daughter or grandkids can find out for you if need be. Make it happen! Just don’t make yourself a prisoner in your own home for the want of wheels :wink:

2 Likes