Sets and Reps

My therapists say that very High repetitions is the key to good recovery to meet neuroplasticity. At the same time, they say that very slow repetitions are important for spasticity. Velocity at higher speed during something like curls with resitance bands is bad. So, to make the mind muscle connection with slow reps and to do MANY of them would take all day. Whats a poor boy to do?
By the way, new research shows strength training has no adverse effects on spasticity.

5 Likes

Keep reporting on what you discover. I for one am very interested in what you have written. I’m very probably not the only one.
thanks
keep on keepin’ on
:smile: :+1:

3 Likes

I do about 2hrs daily, 5 days a week; 3 sets of 10 reps slow! But I’m just concentrating on building muscle and have built that up nicely over the past year.

I start off with 15 mins on the rowing machine, work on lower body, upper body and finish off with 15mins cross train/steps machine whatever takes my fancy for my drop foot :wink:
I also attend a free weights class, strength and balance class and a member of a hiking group.

Slow and steady wins the race for me, that my moto :wink:
Besides, my body and balance issues don’t allow for velocity at higher speeds anyway. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

@Outlander i agree re repetitions. In the initial stages of recovery I did loads and loads but there came a time where I had to reduce the time spent as I needed to start trying to live again.

I’m not a gym goer but do exercise a lot at home.

Good luck with your recovery.

4 Likes

You guys are great thanks much. Just before my stroke I had been bench pressing 225 lbs. for 6 reps at 75 years old. I was a powerlifter in my youth. Ahhhh those were the days. Now I’m lucky if I can just do the bar for five reps, but I do love the resistance bands. I’m going to try Emerald’s routine and get back to you.

2 Likes

I’m a 61yr old female, I had never done weights before this, I was more into swimming, cycling, hiking. I don’t have a personal trainer or therapists and my knowledge of weight training has come from combination of son’s experience, own research, advice of trainers and tips from fellow members at the gym I go to.

I lost a lot through muscle atrophy in the first year after my stroke, just about had the strength to walk or lift a cup of tea. My right arm lay across my chest at rest; I could use it after a fashion, hold things clumsily in my hand, so there was plenty of potential to get it back normal.

Because we were in lockdown there was no gym. So to sort out my arm issues I just made it good practice to always walk around with a heavy object or ankle weight in that right hand wherever I went…'til I was eventually walking home from the shops doing arm curls with two 4 pint cans of milk :laughing:

3 Likes

You use your own own judgment

1 Like

@EmeraldEyes
You aren’t one of those you have to be careful not to meet in an alley in the dark of night?

:weight_lifting_woman:

I am frightened, very very frightened.

1 Like

Is that whole milk, skim milk, or heavy cream?

2 Likes

Well any potential muggers might have thought about getting walloped with a four pint can of milk than a lady’s handbag :rofl:

Semi skimmed actually…hmmm…maybe I should have been carrying heavy cream…would that have been weightier than semi do you think :laughing:

1 Like

I do my squats with clotted cream…yum!
Levity can help with healing. :grinning:

1 Like

Oh yes, laughter is definitely the best medicine :rofl:

And it’s surprising how quickly you can run up the road with a couple bananas strapped your feet :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Its hard for me walk on Crutches

1 Like