PIP Claim

Just some notes from ESA website:

What might affect how much you get paid

You cannot make a new claim for income-related ESA. You’ll continue to get payments while you’re eligible until your claim ends.

Neither your or your partner’s savings or income will affect how much ‘new style’ ESA you’re paid. But a private pension worth more than £85 per week may affect how much you can get.

If you get income-related ESA, your household income and savings worth £6,000 or more may affect how much you can get.

This seems that ESA is not totally ‘not means tested’

1 Like

I think you can reapply. If I understand right for new ESA it’s only if you (not your husband) are getting a pension that it would matter. There is another sort of ESA that is means tested - income related ESA I think its called.
You should be fine to reapply.
Best wishes
Ann xxx

1 Like

Looking well is one of the things that they will try to use as an excuse not to award your claim. Unfortunately they do seem to look for any reason they can find not to award any claim. I found this throughout the process and ended up at tribunal. It was the tribunal panel that looked at the reasons for my claim to be awarded. The panel awarded my claim

Hi Loshy, no advice, that’s not been given. Me , unnecessary anxiety, & rather made me down. Discussing all my negatives. Hope all goes in your favour. It did for me . Financially been great help & much appreciated. Good speaking David.

1 Like

@Loshy Hi Loraine, that could have been better timed for you. Not sure how they chose the appointment types, some face to face, some video and others telephone.

If you haven’t already have a look at the CAB link below:

Make sure you have a copy of your form with you so you can refer to it. Make a note of points that you want to get across & if they don’t cover it in the questions they ask you make sure you tell them at the end.

I’d advise taking someone with you who can confirm the impact that your conditions have on you. Tell them about your worst days and what you can / can’t do. But always clarify, I can do that but only if …… or doing that means that I then can’t do ………… I can’t do it because. They may ask how many bad days you have so make sure you have worked that out. If you’re like me since getting back from my holiday I’ve had significantly more bad days than good.

I think in a face to face assessment they will watch you and note how you are/behave. Not explained that very well but as a simple example if you say I can’t brush my hair but then you lift your arm to move your hair or straighten it they will note that down. If you say you can’t lift anything then pick your handbag up they’ll note it.

Above all be honest, it’s about the impact the illness / condition has on your daily activities not the condition itself. Take a note of your meds. They asked me about my education and qualifications :thinking:.

If they say something like so you can do………. If you can’t say so, or if you can but only with help or adaptations then clarify,

I would be prepared with some things about how your holiday has affected you. Did you have trouble at airport, flying, fatigue days when there. Not able to do something you normally would whilst there, how you’ve been since you got back etc etc.

Best of luck and enjoy your holiday :sun_with_face::sun_with_face::sun_with_face::sun_with_face::beach_umbrella::beach_umbrella::beach_umbrella::beach_umbrella::beach_umbrella:

1 Like

I had a telephone appointment so didn’t provide my letters but I did need to refer to them so I would take them with you.
Glad they’ve moved it closer to home for you xxx

1 Like

Hi Loraine @Loshy. I think Mrs5K has covered it. I didn’t want to say but I’ve had my mandatory reconsideration turned down so I’m probably not the best person for advice. I’ve given up as it is too much for me to deal with not to mention depressing. I cannot afford to keep dwelling on the things I can’t do which is what the process is all about. My small injury allowance ( technically the accident happened whilst I was at work) is due to end in a couple of months, and after that will have to face spending my savings. At least I have some. Just enjoy your holiday, be well and try not to worry about it. Julia x

2 Likes

Hi Loraine @Loshy. Thank you for your encouragement and support. I’ve done an appeal, no high hopes for it, but any financial assistance would reduce my anxiety going forwards. If it makes the point that the DWP is extracting “evidence” from medical notes out of context and stops them doing it to someone else then it’s achieved something. I think it has a 6 month time frame. I’ve waited since early November, I’ll wait some more, Julia x

1 Like

You should be fine just keep to the advice given its based not on how you look but how you struggle with the tasks on there scoring system. Take a copy of all the evidence that you have sent in u application . The assessment starts as soon as you enter the centre. So they look how you walk and act before the assessment start s in the room given so take this in mind have a nice holiday with kind regards des

1 Like

Good luck with your appeal. It shouldn’t be such a battle but seems to be for a lot of people. I saw some stats on the news a few weeks ago about how much it costs the DWP in appeals. I can’t remember the figure but it was an extraordinary amount of money. You’d think that’d make them get their act together. A high number of appeals were successful too.
Good luck xx

2 Likes

Any news on whether the new Scottish system is a bit more inderstanding

@Briansmith1962 I haven’t heard anything about the Scottish system. I would imagine it to be similar to the rest of the UK but hopefully they are a bit more understanding.

Hi All

I have a telephone appointment with the ESA people on Monday. Can anyone shed any light on what they might ask me? Is it similar to the PIP interview?

@Loshy thank you Loraine. I have all my notes from PIP still so will have those to hand in case I need them. xx

@Loshy I completed an application form online but i think it just asked for things like Name, Address, employer & when SSP ended. Don’t recall it asking for anything else. I’m hoping it’ll be a bit simpler than PIP. I Will look through the threads. Thank you xx

That’s what I’m hoping

I applied for new style ESA as my SSP came to an end. They have paid me the first payment this week & I received notification today that I’ll get £77 per week. I also received a work capability assessment form to complete. If I’m reading it right I assume this form is for them to decide if I have limited capability for work or not. My intention is to return to work (fingers crossed) therefore I’m not sure I want to be classed as having limited capability for work at this stage. Am I missing something or completely misunderstood it? Helpppppppppp :blush::blush::blush::blush:
Thank you
Ann xx

Hello Ann @Mrs5K. Glad you have got the ESA sorted. Sorry I can’t offer any advice. It’s so complicated, you want to be truthful but also are aware that you don’t want to say something that could be used against you in the future. Hope someone can shed some light on it for you, Julia x

Thank you @JuliaH

It’s all so confusing isn’t it :thinking:

Ann x

If you are put into support group for ESA you can still work up too 16 hours a week and earn about£147 week. At anytime you can go back to work even in the support group if you are in the support group you get £117 a week

1 Like