PIP Claim

Keep trying. I’ve heard of many people who have gained it second time around. Don’t give up. Xx

I’m going have to do this to and I’m not looking forward to this as well I’m on Statutory sick pay which is nothing and my work place is no help it’s really sad

1 Like

@HarDKnocK19 it’s not great is it. I submitted my claim & waiting to hear…who knows how long it’ll take. I am just starting on half pay so finances will be tight (not as bad as SSP though) so any help from them would be appreciated. Make sure you get plenty of help completing the form. CAB have a lot of info on their website. Good luck xx

1 Like

@Loshy was the call on Saturday just about ESA? Perhaps that’s why they weren’t interested in the form. PIP & ESA I think are dealt with separately. But I’m not really sure as trying to feel my way through the system as everyone else is. Good luck with the claims. Hope you hear soon xx

2 Likes

My advice would be to get support with completing the form either from CAB or if your local authority has one Welfare Rights, even if you are OK at completing form yourself. If you are over 50 give your local Age UK a call and see if they provide help completing the forms.
My other bit of advice is if you are refused appeal, so many people are successful on appeal that it makes sense to try it but again I would advise you get support from CAB or Welfare Rights with the appeal.

2 Likes

I also have heard of a lot of people getting it on appeal. That said my daughter who used to get lower rate for mental health reasons was made so anxious by the whole process that she hasn’t been able to appeal so now has the extra anxiety of having no money of her own. I honestly don’t think I would get it as Im really quite fortunate. I haven’t yet dared to drive and I can’t afford a car even if I did so it’s a walk to the shop with a rucksack for me too. Fortunately it’s only 2 miles to the local shop and I can manage the bus. It only goes 3 times a day but it does give me a bit of independence. I have resorted to wearing a lanyard and claiming a disabled seat as I don’t have the balance for the back seats any more

1 Like

Morning everyone. Just an update. Initially after receiving the rejection for PIP I was so dejected that I did nothing. Thinking about it and reading the report just made me angry, but then I thought put it in a letter to vent it. They shouldn’t treat people like this. They used quotes out of my medical notes out of context as supporting evidence such as " memory and concentration are greatly improved" at a point in time, 2 weeks after my accident shortly after my spinal fixation when I was still in HDU that I have no recollection of. My base point was being unconscious so obviously there was improvement. Anyway I sent the letter as a mandatory reconsideration within the month timeframe that the DWP stipulate mid April. I heard nothing and had no acknowledgement. I rang them yesterday, they said the claim was still open, I should have received a text to tell me they had it (I have now). He gave me a date in July, 12 weeks after their receipt of it that I should hear by and only then can I appeal if still not successful. I believe they make it as difficult as possible to put people off. This started in November. They will probably use the evidence that I have managed with nothing since leaving hospital in September to support another rejection. Sorry for the moan and it may well be different for others in different circumstances, but for those going through the process just be prepared for the very long delays. Julia

2 Likes

Julia, what you have described is typical. They will keep coming up with reasons not to award your claim. The people making these decisions are civil servants and in my opinion are being politically driven - they seem under pressure to reject as many claims as possible.
My mandatory reconsideration was rejected so I took them to tribunal. The tribunal awarded my appeal based on the medical evidence.
Do not be put off by the constant DWP rejections. If you believe that you have a valid claim then keep going. The tribunal panel was very experienced, listened to me and gave me time to express my difficulties.

3 Likes

So, I received a letter informing me I have a telephone assessment on 7th June for my PIP claim. I’m surprised it’s so quick as only applied in April. I’m not complaining was just expecting to wait a few more months yet. Now to prepare some thoughts to ensure I tell them everything I want / need to.

1 Like

Hello @Mrs5K. Gosh that is quick. Still waiting over my mandatory reconsideration which I sent in April. Good luck and let us know how it goes, Julia x

Do you have a copy of your application you can refer to? Alternatively make notes on points you want to emphasise.
Good luck and don’t stress toon much.

1 Like

@JuliaH I thought it was very quick as everyone saying 6 months plus. Hope you hear about your mandatory reconsideration soon. Good luck.

@Janetb Thank you. yes I have a copy of my claim. I’m going to make sure I read it through and write on it anything that has changed since I submitted it. Not looking forward to the call but will be glad when it is done.

@loshy Hi Loraine
Thank you for sharing that. I’ll have a good look & see what I need to cover off when I speak to them. Really useful thank you xx

Opened & replied I hope :grin:

1 Like

Hope it goes well I got pip after a MR review. Remember is not based on u illness but on the struggles that you have with it depending on there s iring system. If you can have a copy of u application with you. Try not to useyes orno answers but open anwers so can you do X . Try not tosay yes or no but I can do X but only if… Or I cannot do X because this causes me to…The key is tasks must be able to be done safely repeatedly and in a timely manner so cookinfy ameal means from fresh and you must be able to do breakfast lunch tea etc if you cannot due to fatguie or illness the you cannot do the tasks and should score points let me know how it goes with kind regards des

1 Like

@Des_murphy that is really useful thank you. I’m a little nervous but will just do my best. I’ve got a copy of my application so i can remember what I’ve said. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Kind regards
Ann

1 Like

Hope it goes well if you can have the scoring system with you it’s online. More examples I can walk X meters but can only do it once and not repeatably. Or I cannot walk X meters due to this cause me to be…also the assessor might be friendly and kind which is good but do not let you guard down get over the info that you want them to know they not be be rushed or side tracked remember there work for the state. Hope it goes well with kind regards des

1 Like

@Des_murphy thank you for your pointers for my PIP interview. It’s now done. Took about 1hr 15 mins. It was ok but who knows what the outcome will be. I’m glad it’s done out the way. Head hurts now :tired_face:
Thank you again.
Best wishes
Ann

@Mahoney thank you. It is a stressful process & very glad it’s done. Had a letter from my employer today ref SSP ending & claiming for ESA. Just thinking about it makes my head hurt :woozy_face:

Hope all good with you xxx

@Loshy I will give it a go thank you. Makes a change for a benefit to not be means tested :grin: xx