Photography - sharing hobbies and leisure

I notice people have posted pictures here and there on the My Stroke Guide forum.
I’m a keen photographer and was hoping/wondering if there were any like minded people out there.
I’m recovering from a stroke.
I can no longer use my DSLR camera so have started using the one on my phone.

Taking photographs is something lots of people do.
A place to display our pictures would be good.
Somewhere to share tips and comments with others.
It might be possible to start an activity connected with this hobby.

This has been tried before but I think it fizzled out after alterations were made to the forum.
I’m certain there will be some interest in this. Tell your friends.
Photography is a great form of non-verbal communication.
This is a great opportunity to share with others.

Here’s some ideas to get you started:

Restricted and need a subject?

Choose something that connects directly with you.
Begin with these:

• Portrait: A photo of a plant or living thing, an animal or pet, a human (please ask first).
  • Landscape: A snap of your view out of the window at home, office or car.
  • Still life: Picture one or a few small objects grouped together.
  • Interiors: An image of where you are, where you spend time.
  • Illustration Telling a story with your camera, something, someone, or somewhere, important to you.

Well that’s a start and this is a place to share and display your handiwork.

Whatever the size of your camera - from the camera in your phone to a multi-megapixel DSLR, share your images here with MyStrokeGuide.

Want to know how to add an image / photo to your message?

• start a new post

• write about your picture

• give it a title.

• add the image (see below)
    7a7e84e4ef92b8a6d1c8e390cb1689145c75500b

• wait for comments

If there is enough interest it might be possible to arrange a fun contest, open to all.

For now please just post whatever you want to share.

7 Likes

Here’s my first effort.

Something important to me.

My stick, stands in the doorway, shouting, “Walkies!”

I gotta go.

I hope you’ll post photos of your own, constructive comments too.

Keep on keepin’ on
:camera_flash: :grinning: :+1:

12 Likes

Some thing I made today and the house smells lovely

Rebatched some old soap in a new base with lemongrass, peppermint, eucalyptus and lavender.
Doing something creative is really important to me, gives me a focus, purpose and in this case something I can use.

13 Likes

Very nice @JuliaH those are lovely, fresh perfumes, with great vibrant colours as well. I know what you mean about purposeful activity. They will make good presents too, if you will part with them.
Your post is very interesting, thank you for getting the ball rolling.

3 Likes

Charlie the heron who came every morning when we were on holiday at the Norfolk Broads to be fed tinned sardines or pilchards!,

12 Likes

Gorgeous arrangement of color and form! Jeanne

5 Likes

Hi Bobbi,

I am a very keen amateur photographer, but I do take on paid jobs. That was until my stroke 10 months ago. I tried to use a camera but was too difficult ( no sensitivity and feeling in my right hand ). However I added a soft shutter button to my 2 Xpro3 cameras and I did manage to do a shoot recently. I asked a model who I have known well for 10 years if she’d come for the day… anyway, I guess I’ll do more with time… but I walk with a stick, ( for now ) and can’t wait for better days…

This is the shoot I did

ciao, Roland

12 Likes

@JuliaH @Apple @Mahoney @axnr911 @pando

This is great, really good material here so far, but to everyone else please post and share what you have.

This isn’t a contest, all contributions are valuable, taking part is the important issue.

Not everyone can submit material but It is stimulating, inspiring and good to view what is offered here.

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :grinning: :camera_flash:

4 Likes

@juliah

has shared, not only her picture, but a little of her motivation too

@apple

a beautiful close-up experience with a heron, on what must have been a fantastic holiday

@mahoney

a very spooky cat, definitely a still life, and a bunch of colourful flowers, both pctures very pleasing to the eye.

@axnr911

thanks for your input, what would be the point of putting up pictures without some feed back?

@pando

I see your picture is a link to your portfolio and what a collection! I had a peek at your in hospital photos, I have nothing for that period of my life, it brought back memories. Well done on your recovery journey too. I am right sided affected and have every sympathy, but stroke is such a varied affliction. We must each continue to struggle for recovery.

So, to everybody here, you have enriched my life with what you have shared, I’m sure there will be many who will come along take a quiet look and get something from your brave offerings, thank you, thank you, thank you, to each of you!

keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :grinning: :+1:

. . . now it is 5.30 a.m. and I’m off to the kitchen to start making a loaf of bread.

5 Likes

Still life: hobbies (w/cat where he shouldn’t be)

Colour

Perspective a recurrent theme

Geometry a recurrent theme

Architecture; The embodiment of perspective and geometry

Head

Bygone days

Blissfully lazy days

A past life

A different slant on life

Teasels

In sickness and in health

If it looks like a duck quacks like a duck then…

Colour

Laundry (and perspective and colour and geometry and therapy!)

7 Likes

Great post Bobbi. Have thoroughly enjoyed looking through everyone’s photos.

Keep taking photos everyone :blush:

Regards Sue

7 Likes

That’s very kind of you.
Just a smattering of a few on the phone.
There’s a limit to what can be done with depth of field and aspect ratio etc. Limits that can be overcome on the PC and with a DLSR. I might post some from the PC. I think there’s about 80,000 there I should be a few worth sharing!

5 Likes

Well done, @SimonInEdinburgh, what a lot of pictures. I’m sure folks will love looking them over. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks also @Mahoney and @Susan_Jane, your comments are much appreciated. A little recognition and encouragement is always very welcome.

Keep on keepin’ on
:camera_flash: :grinning: :+1:

4 Likes

Bubble bees always inspire hope: a tubby bee with tiny wings flies

Using my iphone camera.

9 Likes

Great picture,bumble bees a symbol of personal power and wealth x

5 Likes

Thank you. I think the bubble bee was drunk on pollen as it remained in place to allow me to approach with my phone and zoom in!

5 Likes

@Susan3
I can almost hear that bee saying “If you’ve got it, flaunt it!”.
Nice picture.

:camera_flash:

4 Likes

I am so enjoying everyone’s pictures and comments. Learning about others and how they see things, what they notice, is special to me. Simon, I especially enjoy your colors and geometry. I love cats, and bumble bees love my home. I plant natives specifically to attract them. They also attract butterflies and hummingbirds.

Thank you, Bobbi, for starting this post. If anyone is wondering what this has to do with Stroke information, I can tell you that for one, it helps my mind to think about what others share, and what I might share. Secondly it helps my vision to try to focus more and pay attention to detail. Most importantly to me, it gives my stuck at home, shut in self, a place to interact with others. You all are amazing. Thank you.

9 Likes

Here’s some bees I found and gilded

6 Likes

Bobbi, just thinking about your DSLR… Could you up a small studio area and use it with a cable release for still lifes or macro’s? You could compose and set up if you have access to something like a mini tripod or gorrilapod?

2 Likes