Made my breakfast on my own

Whilst my good lady tok her 83 year old mother shopping I got dressed came downstairs on my own and took my medication plus making my breakfast for the first time in years.

Keep on trucking everyday very fatigued but satisfied.

18 Likes

@mrfrederickson

Another step in the right direction. Your banana chopping skills look spot on, tasty breakfast, I bet.

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

Yes Bobbi I split the banana a cut it on the worktop then flipped the slices into the bowl.
Sense of satisfaction and cheered my wife up as she sees my independence growing.

5 Likes

Well done @mrfrederickson you’re making great progress. I bet it was very satisfying eating your breakfast afterwards

2 Likes

Great achievement :clap:. Another step on the road to recovery. Well done you. Thanks for sharing, always good to hear of achievements.

Keep on keeping on.
Regards 3

2 Likes

Thanks Susan,
Really down to determination and stamina today plus proving to myself that I’m capable, maybe next time illl be walking better and have two working arms

4 Likes

Trying do all the natural things you used to do is the best form of therapy.
Nothing should be seen as failure as every little thing a stroke survivor does is a success in the right direction … and they’re all cause for celebration :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :clap: :clap: :clap:

4 Likes

Well done that’s so good, really happy for you bet your wife is very proud of you!:+1:

2 Likes

mrf, You doing really well. Just keep on, small step by small step, and you will find you made a giant leap, Moira :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hi Elle yes she was it takes pressure off her over concerns about my independence.

More will power than recovery. I was very tired after , two fridge trips an into the dining room to get my meds. I had little breathers in between to extend my capabilities and devised a new way of cutting up the banana one handed. Biggest annoyance was not having a knife in the draw, had to raid the dishwasher.

3 Likes

It goes some way to repaying the life debt I owe her. It Give s me greater peace.

3 Likes

My husband still does most of the cooking for our children, we just kind of fell into new roles after my strokes, I am edging my way back in though! Multi tasking is the hardest thing after stroke, well done.

3 Likes

@mrfrederickson

Don’t get too good at it MrF or she’ll be running you down the market with a ticket pinned to your sleeve, reading;

“Slightly used husband for sale, can look after himself, £0.99 or near offer.”

I bet she’s proud of you really,
:grinning:

3 Likes

Yes Bobbi off loading me will cut her workload dramatically so I hope that my new found capabilities will be used more frequently.

Seriously though I’m glad my independence in the short term is proven if I get my left limbs back and working it can only improve

4 Likes

Well done, small steps add to real progress.

4 Likes

Yes so she says I always keep trying to improve and get back what I lost so it means we get our old life back but it’s just not quick enough for me.

3 Likes

@mrfrederickson Good for you. How about a wee sprinkle of cinnamon on that?

Very healthy: What…no black pudding? lol

2 Likes

Thanks Outlander, I do add honey and two sprinkles of chia seeds

A very hearty well done! :slight_smile:

Now you’ve done it once I suggest trying to build it into your regime .

For some months I’ve been using washing my left armpit as an exercise. Initially I couldn’t get my arm there then I could get my arm there but not open my fingers then I could get my arm there and almost over my fingers but not with enough dexterity to hold the slippery soap and this morning yes this morning I managed to cup the soap with my hand without my fingers curling up and forcing the soap to the floor .

Your breakfast and meds marks a milestone. It also establishes the launch pad for moving onwards. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if this new capability didn’t have its roots in your car washing and detailing and chip preparing exploits of the last few weeks. Neuroplasticity doesn’t - I think in my non-medically trained but researched in other fields opinion - respond so well to highly repetitive exercise. It likes continuous use in a variety of contexts that reinforce the need for a mental component as well as the physical .

I’m encouraged in my own recovery to hear about your progress. Keep on publicising please

Ciao

Simon

1 Like

Only us strokies know how good that feels, well done!

2 Likes