Lucky Me -rant warning coming up

Love this thread as I’m sure we’ve all had to these type of “you look really well” type of comments countless times. I know they are meant in a nice way but also feel from their perspective they probably feel they’ve addressed the :elephant: in the room and can now actually discuss what they wanted to.

Why does it always come when your actually not feeling so great (which makes you bite your tongue…hopefully)?

Loving the crazy :flamingo::flamingo::flamingo:, wish I could dance like that!

7 Likes

Ive toughened up to these comment and they now don’t register three years on. Came out of hospital after three week holiday. With some permanent vision loss. Friend(?) said to me
“ count yourself lucky ! You’re not in a wheelchair covered in a blanket slobbering” just the sort of visitor you want. Since then the odd comment does rattle me . Just say “ keep a check on your BP, I wouldn’t want anyone else to go through this.

5 Likes

Me too and I’m the carer, but I do do bellydancing :rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

@clibbers1 it can be frustrating but i wonder sometimes if they are just trying to be positive & provide encouragement. Of course for us we feel rubbish daily & wish people understood more.

I usually just say thank you to them & move on. Although if someone says to be me i’m glad you’ve recovered ok I usually say I am still recovering & probably will be for a very long time.

4 Likes

@clibbers1 . My pet hate is people saying “you look well”. Just want to scream at them “We’ll I’m bloody not!”

7 Likes

Yes the comment think how lucky you are! Or you look well for having two strokes or you can tell you are not quite right?! Not quite right? Well thanks very much.
It Leaves me upset confused and wanting to run away from them. people mean well but are not sure what to say x

6 Likes

Keep telling my mates I’m going to get a T shirt printed with " You’re Doing Very Well"

6 Likes

Another inspirational post

Thank you hugs

4 Likes

OMG i just spat my tea out reading this , this so cheered me up that im not the only one.

4 Likes

@Bubbles01 just popping by to say hi & welcome to the community. Hope you find all the help you’re looking for here.
We’re a friendly bunch & look forward to hearing more from you.

Best wishes

Ann x

2 Likes

This made me chuckle :laughing:
Yes I have had the:
‘You look well’
‘Why are you not back to work?’
‘You are lucky’
‘You got off lightly’
Of course people mean well and no doubt some just don’t know what to say!
Don’t want to try and punch them in the face because my right side has had enough damage already!!! :laughing:
What I sometimes want is to go out and not think about it or be reminded of it and so ‘how are you?’ can also be a little ‘sensitive’.

2 Likes

I think you’re right people don’t know what to say & probably ate just trying to make us feel good by saying we look well etc etc. I’ve probably said the same to others in the past not understanding how they’re really feeling. :grin:

3 Likes

Actually I’ve a bit more to off load…
I feel sooo lucky 'cos:
So tired that when I go to bed I can’t sleep anyway.
When I do sleep I still wake up at stupid o’clock in the morning.
Can’t get comfortable in bed!
Just when I think I have done enough appointments more appear!
To get to those appointments I beg for a lift or get a taxi!!!
To drive again it seems I have to suffer the Drive Ability course.
All we have is a CO-OP store which is expensive!

Its ok, some points maybe considered superficial!
Yeah so lucky, but still looking well though :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Just wanted to hi and welcome to the forum @Bubbles01. It always helps to have a sense of humour :blush:

5 Likes

Hi @Bubbles01
Welcome :slight_smile:
Where do you stay?
Caio
Simon

1 Like

:slight_smile:

Hope that was cathartic - I agree with the frustration I feel is within your narrative

Caio
Simon

1 Like

Hello everyone
Im from the west coast of Scotland , im new as in just finally had the courage to write a bit about myself. I am post stroke 9 months [ TIA on the 4th of July one will never forget that date ] and i have just come through the toughest and darkest period of my life, Thank you Clibber1 for cheering me up Yesterday and thank you everyone for your helpful tips its been a great help.

5 Likes

Where abouts? As u can see I’m in Edinburgh :slight_smile: there are lovely spots on the west coast EG summer isles or maybe your more Ayr.

Post stroke can be be very dark. It’s generally scary for all - did anyone mention the Welcome post to you?

There is a lot of support here

Caio
Simon

1 Like

Well now you have reached for the light, we’ll do our best to help keep you there :smile: I myself am 3yrs post stroke and like yourself, mine were TIA’s too. I’m back driving again, do a number of fitness classes, gardening and getting on with living and enjoying life as much as possible. Still left with a few deficits such as drop foot (well, a hint of it now), mild aphasia and of course the dreaded fatigue if I don’t manage my days well. But they’re all a work in progress, never give up, never give in and never settle I say . . . maybe I’m just an endorphin junky :thinking: :laughing:

There are lots of tips, advice and council to be found on here on just about everything anyone has ever experienced post. Just make good use of the search bar by clicking on the magnifying glass above :mag: and type in a few keys words on what you want to know. If you need any help navigating the forum or creating posts there are quite a few of us on here able enough to help you out, so don’t be afraid to ask :smile:

2 Likes

Thank you EmeraldEyes, its certainly been an eye opener reading everyones comments and so helpful.

1 Like