Is anyone else taking SSRI' for PBA?

Hello all,

I have discovered that my Pseudo Bulbar Affect is now considered chronic and unlikely to improve as I’m still experiencing disruptive episodes of it after 18 months (most days and sometimes multiple episodes a day when it’s bad). I have a regular sleep schedule and get outside as much as possible with the weather we’ve had, but now I am at a point where I feel I need to chat to my GP about SSRI’s to manage it.

My only concern is that they aren’t compatible with Clopidogrel, so I would like to hear from anyone who is taking SSRI’s for PBA.

Thank you. :heart:

2 Likes

SRRI and Clopidogrel can increase chances of bleeding, but that doesn’t necessarily mean a bleed in the brain, it can mean increased bleeding with cuts or in the stomach, but you’ll be surprised how much we consume that can increase bleeding while on Clopidogrel; medication, supplements and general food. I am on Clopidogrel and take Citalopram, but I take a low dose of Citalopram (20mg) for panic disorder. Important note, anti platelet meds don’t cause bleeds, they simply amplify bleeding when it occurs by reducing the platelets capacity to stick together. This is an important distinction.

My partner had fits of uncontrollable crying due to family bullying and low self-esteem. She started taking Sertraline and it has worked for her to ground her emotions. She is also on Clopidogrel.

1 Like

That’s so helpful, thank you. :heart:

I literally just made a note to ask my GP about sertraline specifically as that was one that’s compatible with Clopidogrel!

I’m getting most of the side of the of sertraline from the medications I’m already on anyway so I don’t suppose I’d notice much difference. :woman_facepalming:t2: :rofl:

1 Like