Increase the daily Like limits?

Hi all

You may or may not be aware that there is a little heart icon below every post?
You’re awareness may extend to the fact that when you click that heart icon the person who wrote the post gets a notification to say you appreciated them taking the time and effort to share their experiences.

You may also be aware ( or not) that this software spends a lot of its energies collating the likes and will give you and the recipient increased capabilities as well as badges to show your growing awareness of how to use this platform when you reach various thresholds.
Progressing through the trust levels to unlock more features depends on you giving and receiving likes!!

It’s built into the software that features are only available when you meet criteria related to participation

One of the thresholds though is a you can’t like anything more today because you’ve used all your likes up.

Why, in this forum there should be a cap on the number of likes that one can give in 24 hours doesn’t make sense to me and a few of the folk I’ve been talking to.

It’s a parameter the admin members of staff - I guess that means Clement @CommunityAdmin - can raise and I believe remove.

Perhaps if you have an objection or are in support of removing the cap on likes you’ll add a comment?

I’m assuming the will be a few people in support of removing and no people in support of retaining and that admin might be influenced therefore to facilitate so that those people who ran out of them no longer have to ration how they apply likes & can splurge love around more widely than currently

:purple_heart: :heart::purple_heart: :heart::purple_heart: :heart::purple_heart: :heart::purple_heart: :heart::purple_heart: :heart::purple_heart: :heart::purple_heart: :heart:

10 Likes

@CommunityAdmin I fully agree with @SimonInEdinburgh

It does not seem to make sense that those of us who engage and want to support each other then get told we have been too engaging?!?!?!

and? I have progressed and am still penalised @CommunityAdmin

This is annoying me so I am trying to keep cool :polar_bear: :wink: :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :two_hearts: :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Sorry that the limit on interaction is an annoyance to some but these are put in place to discourage bot attacks which are capable of spreading love at an alarming rate. As a team we are down to one and a half at the moment so not all requests may be actioned straight away. We are however, taking note of all your comments and feeding that into planned improvements.
Cheers,
Clement

6 Likes

I’m quite amused that some consider this sort of trivia so important.
Will there be super badges for the largest number of :heart:'s in a month?

In actual fact and in the real world, does any of this mean anything?

When are the inmates taking over the asylum? Will we get notice?.

Of course the bots will get all the awards and we will need to demand something be done about it.

4 Likes

Thanks Clement I do understand resource pressure - perhaps you can use some of us to help! I can give you an hour a day no probs - but not sure what I can do to help from my sofa ha ha.

Can you give any indication of the level of bot attacks that the forum has been subject to and what happened?

Thanks,

Kieran

:wink: :polar_bear:

2 Likes

That’s actually very true and I’m trying not to care but now I have plums in my bucket I’m continuing on this path I’m afraid

:wink: :polar_bear:

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :polar_bear: :rofl:

2 Likes

@KGB

. . . and demand now. I demand you demand.

Now.

2 Likes

The quality of artificial intelligence displayed or should that be dissipated in these few posts is unimaginable. It surpasses reason.

2 Likes

Well I guess if you consider it trivia you won’t have an opinion on whether it gets changed will you Bobby. The world is full of people with different opinions and different sensitivities to different things and what doesn’t matter to you does matter to others and vice versa. I thought a great benefit of this community was tolerance :slight_smile:

@KGB running out of likes won’t have penalised you in any fashion other than that you can’t say to other people that you enjoyed and appreciated the time that they spent putting a reply together or that the degree of engagement and inclusion you wanted to show was temporarily halted. It won’t have prejudiced your move through the TLs

@CommunityAdmin I don’t think bot attack and like limit are particularly germain here are they? To like a post you have to be a registered user. A registered user who is a bot intent on being a black hat or other bad actor would get spotted pretty quickly by this community don’t you think- and if in the meantime it came out a few hundred or thousand likes would anything be deeply compromised?

there may be communities in which the like limit serves good purpose but I don’t think it’s serves purpose in this community. There has been discussion of it in meta and I haven’t seen any cautionary tales that would suggest we are risking anything by removing the limitation…

Thanks for adding it to the backlog. How do we get it groomed and prioritised?

2 Likes

I show my admiration for the quality and useful nature of posts on this forum by adding a comment. To be honest there is almost no need for a ‘like’. It simply demonstrates that one has been this way.

A relevant comment is far more useful both to the author and others passing by.

I will say this, I think this thread is an attempt to waste the time of those who maintain it.

I would not lose any sleep if it was taken down.

2 Likes

And your free to exercise your preferences :slight_smile:
And the normally you do it very well :slight_smile:

if you haven’t got material reasoning then Perhaps resist expressing some thing that constrains others so as to be in the spirit of making the community as inclusively rewarding for as many as possible
:slight_smile:

1 Like

sorry @Bobbi I disagree for the main reason that if I don’t want to reply to a post now or my eyes are tired but I like it I want a simple way of acknowleding that to the poster…

I get what you’re saying but I think that honestly the like function is a part of this and I like it!

K

:polar_bear: :wink:

4 Likes

I do not in any way disagree with that!!

:wink:

2 Likes

If you want to demonstrate to an author that you value their input then add a simple comment. It will be far more valuable and meaningful than a tick box marked ‘like’.

Clement did point out that the ‘like’ button is a ‘bot’ trap.

How many bots have you caught today?

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :grin: :+1:

If there is anyone ‘likes’ a post I have offered please add a comment.
Show appreciation by actually saying what you think.

3 Likes

14 bots and 4 goblins

Stay cool

3 Likes

The bots can be addressed. Goblins, especially sock goblins can be more of a problem.

Problem goblins now there is an issue. We could debate their importance. Are they even real. Is this an artificial problem created by artificial intelligence.

The revolution is here. Get out your pitch fork.

2 Likes

@CommunityAdmin could you perhaps moderate to split the discussion of goblins and preferences out so that the original thread OP of making users aware of features that are built into the core software again becomes obvious and not diluted by the off topic contributions?

Thnx

1 Like

@SimonInEdinburgh

there is a button somewhere near the like button where you can report a post for moderation.
You probably are aware of this but if you ask I can post a picture and write up some instructions.

2 Likes

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to respond by disagreeing. That’s fine. But remember to criticize ideas, not people. Please avoid:

• Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks
  • Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content
  • Knee-jerk contradiction

Instead, provide thoughtful insights that improve the conversation.

Gentlemen gentlemen!!

I like goblins in the goblin post and likes in the like post!!

but I’m really a polar bear

3 Likes