Increase the daily Like limits?

Yes I’m aware of it
. It sends a silent message and puts it in a queue.

I welcomed to your first comment to say that it wasn’t a factor that you supported even if I found it a little pointedly worded

Subsequently with your continued posts I explained that I thought you were being intolerant of other people’s right to hold different opinions
I thought that was fair exchange

But I think you then diverted the topic
I’ve less interest in having you censured privately than just asking you, having expressed your opinion to allow others to express theirs because I think that is what this community does well and values.

Differences of opinion are valuable.
It’s difficult to keep those opinions focused on the subject matter and not transferred to the person making the comments.
At some point the addition of off-topic material and all the tone of exchange becomes a question of debate.

Anyway enough now I shall not respond to anything further

1 Like

@SimonInEdinburgh

You just liked four of my posts Simon, I suppose I should show some appreciation.
Just be careful you don’t waste any of your quota, or then what will you do?

I hope you realise that I have raised no objection to you or any other individual posting on this or any other thread, Simon. As you say, we should all be free to speak as we chose, or is that not so fashionable these days?

2 Likes

@SimonInEdinburgh please remove limits

3 Likes

Should we remove the notifier (top right) that you have had a like ?
I don’t personally find that adds any value

3 Likes

Actually that’s quite a good point and I agree. Perhaps just one daily notification or something. nice to know you’re liked but every time?!?

I agree.

Kieran

:polar_bear: :wink:

Now you have one ha ha ha

Super Rugby Review Round 10: Uh-oh, Crusaders Are Good Again - Rugby Wrap Up

1 Like

@Nigelglos @KGB

While it doesn’t address perhaps everything you’ve raised about notifications you do know I assume that what notifications you receive and how you receive them is partially under your control by going to the icon of your avatar and from the menu going to your profile and from there going both to emails and notifications?

I personally have almost everything turned off and then I’m not annoyed by it but I can get to it when I want to have a reminder. I also find bookmarks very useful particularly the delete when replied…

2 Likes

Actually I didn’t but now I do!

Thanks. That helps.

:wink: :smiley: :polar_bear: :wink:

2 Likes

@CommunityAdmin

You said that like limits were to restrain bots although I haven’t been able to find anything explaining - can you explain ? & the reality of somebody actually registering a bot on MSG

It seemed like your ‘reason’ to not change the limits? If you were accepting the suggestion is something that you will do I’m sorry I’ve misunderstood

Otherwise If you have given a reason that you think justifies rejecting the request can I respectfully ask that you reconsider

My reading says that bot generated likes - If they’re not a red herring -are already handled by a rate limiter NOT by Max likes per day limit AND by the being a lower limit at TL0, & 1 etc - I can’t help imagine somebody nursing a bad actor account with a bot on it through the trust levels to TL2 (not even TL1)

I don’t intend to read it but the rate limit code is at https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/lib/rate_limiter.rb

The answer would appear to be set the multipliers at TL 2 and 3 instead of 2 to something like 8

Ciao

1 Like

Well…I don’t know whether to laugh or cry, but have done a little of both at the same time as getting a headache from this post. I assumed (making me the part before umed) the hearts were supposed to note those comments that were especially helpful in the community. I used them sparingly for the most helpful posts at first, but then realized the ones that brought us closer as a group, helping my own emotional struggles were every bit as important to me as the physical, cognitive exercise sharing and the informational parts, so I began using likes almost like on Facebook, to acknowledge I hear you and care what you have to say. I overuse them, so I might be thrown out as a bot, except one would have no way of knowing I am by my use of hearts, but would know I am not by my participation in the forum with pictures, messages, posts and zoom attendance, actually any of those, not specifically all of them. The limit rarely hurts me, but can hurt when I come across someone new, or hurting I cannot acknowledge immediately that someone is listening, to give my stroke brain a few minutes to think to use my words more wisely. I think everyone I have visited here is careful to give good advice and be encouraging rather than playing doctor and dragging others into the dredges. It takes a little time to form the words to correctly convey what is true without causing harm to another. A like buys a little thinking time. PS Two of the people who I think make this forum such a wonderful place, seem to be playing a ‘Yo mama’ game…It is how they interact, both have valid points to be considered and I highly respect them and anyone else who publicly shares an opinion in the hopes of being helpful. Thank you for being here.

4 Likes

I second @DeAnn, my reasons for using the like button are similar to hers and have had occasion to run out, usually on a post that comes in late. There’s no one about because everyone’s gone to bed and I’m about to shut down, too drained to reply but wanted to at least acknowledge them. As for the whipper snappers above, someone needs to send them to the naughty corner.
@Bobbi stop baiting Simon. @SimonInEdinburgh stop falling for the bait :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Well
I’ve just run out of likes

Unlike some who have a ‘strategic allocation strategy’ I just give them where deserved

Sorry if your out of my reach

Hugs all

2 Likes

I just realised I miss titled this topic originally with a word remove

I didn’t mean remove - I’ve edited it to clarify

I meant increase

So that those users who have to tactically assess whether they will like a post or not no longer need to ration the encouragement they share.

This communities core purposes are about encouraging people in there post-stroke life is it not?

So anything that easyily promotes that should be grasped as an opportunity - shouldn’t it?

just increase it

Our users who run out of likes are TL2s and 3s (as can be seen by seeing who has been awarded the out of love badge, the higher love & crazy in love badges} - there is a higher limit for TL4s of which we only have one active - Mrs5K - I think our twos and threes have proved over their long history of use that they can be trusted to the same level with likes that she can be :slight_smile:

Increasing it is trivially easy.
As illustrated by the screenshot (from another discourse forum - none of us have access here).
This config page is in the admin menu under Rate Limits.

The suggestion was a popular one when it was originally made I’m guessing it’s no less popular than now…

2 Likes