In Your Dreams

I have very realistic dreams, not exactly “Lucid” but memorable. I’m about 13 months into stroke and my dream self in all my dreams is absolutely normal. No symptoms no spasticity, just my old self (gosh I miss him). But…twice I’ve had a dream that I realize everything about my body works fine and that I am suddenly “cured” and I am jumping with joy…ecstatic. Wonderful; and what a let-down when I awaken. Can any of you relate?

10 Likes

To a certain degree @Outlander

I have some very lucid dreams too but often they are about things like me forgettig my stick and being annoyed or reliving an argument…

Often about something not being done or being late or something and I know those are all classic signs of blah blah blah

Sometime I still have my flying dreams and I love those and my occasional ones where I’m actually a polar bear are the best.

I wake up every day thinking I can see normally for 5s before I realise oh no I can’t and won’t ever (probably - never say never) again…

I’m not sure that helps or is the same but interesting to muse on!!

I also think that like I have heard from others for a few months I was very much in denial about how ‘broken’ I am and was always tryig to do too much and that didn’t help so now I’m more realistic so I try not to think like that.

Saying that now you’ve said it let’s see ha ha!! My brain as all on here works in mysterious ways.

K

:polar_bear: :wink:

5 Likes

Oh yes, I walk for miles in my dreams, go disco dancing on a Saturday night, fly off on foreign adventures. Ah yes, the joy of waking up and thinking about what I might manage today. I did manage to go in a taxi and get some food from the supermarket so at least I can sit and daydream about that nice salmon fillet for my tea today!

5 Likes

Not really !
I didn’t have much recollection of dreams before stroke and I think I have even less now.

I have noticed it’s a recurrent topic for others though. Particularly on different strokes of there are several who introduce themselves as lucid dreamers!

Ciao

1 Like

@Outlander i can relate totally. My dreams are much more vivid since my stroke & i’m usually fully fit in them. It’s always a disappointment when I get up & realise i’m still disabled.

4 Likes

This is one of those occasions that 'liking ’ a post seems wrong and deserves a comment to express feelings with words - hugs

1 Like

I think that is true for quite a few posts…

I often wonder if a ‘like’ is offensive as I’m trying to say ok hugs as you say @SimonInEdinburgh

but normally I do like because I want to show I have read and care

reminds me of things like facebook when they said ok you can stop ‘liking’ people being berieved etc

K

1 Like

I’m always fit and well in my dreams, usually walking around trying to find something somewhere at speed (I quite often don’t find it), but I walk for miles. I also swim in the sea (I no longer have the strength or arm movement). It’s depressing to wake up and realise it was all a dream…

6 Likes

Discourse software has a plugin or a theme component that allows you to expand the like badge to a palette of badges…

Like this

Maybe I should ask @CommunityAdmin to install it - then we would have trust level discussions because I believe it’s not fully integrated with the operation of the trust levels progression via participating in the likes of scheme

1 Like

I don’t really know how I am in my dreams, but most of mine involve visits with people who have passed away or I haven’t seen in a very long time. I enjoy them. In them everyone is happy and loving. I have dreamed of driving more than a few times, but it doesn’t turn out well. I want to be ready for that, but I am not and may never be. I will keep trying for now.

2 Likes

Weirdly all my dreams are are of people from the distant past, school or early days at work. This vivid aspect must be a common theme. I am not struggling in any of them. If you have enough of these, does it help the body heal ?
After my stroke I did not dream at all for ages. Think it’s a good sign that dreams are back, like there is some spare brain capacity left for imagination.
Had my first nightmare a few days ago in the 20 months since the life changing day.

Not had a dream about anything post stroke. As not done too much it would be so boring it would probably send me to sleep. Hold on, that doesn’t make much sense :grin:

4 Likes

It does to me!!

:wink: :polar_bear:

2 Likes

It is interesting to read that. Just last night I had a dream about a man I worked with over 40 years ago. In the dream we spent a lot of time catching up on where we had been for the last 40 years!

2 Likes

Its difficult to explain but some of my dreams have been really enjoyable. I would happily watch them again while awake. It’s like the stroke has released memories that were previously buried. I have laughed in those dreams and made other people laugh. Nothing has happened in the previous days which could possibly have triggered those thoughts from so long ago.

After a few days of this, I was tempted but haven’t, to write down a list of all the people who featured and what I thought about them. How someone’s name and face appeared in a dream when I haven’t thought about them for over 40 years I can’t explain.

May be it’s this cocktail of medicine. Either way I quite like going to sleep at the moment. Might have to get the popcorn in for tonight’s episode.

6 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Love it

K

polar bear with popcorn" Poster by Redpap | Redbubble

2 Likes

More dreams last night about forgetting my stick - and my freedom pass - and being out and confused so not really uplifting then crashing ability or flying or polar bears dreams last night :thinking: :thinking: what am I worried about today? hmmm. Everythng? Probably

K

My dreams are too about people I have worked with 10 15 and 20 years ago, people I haven’t thought about in waking time but have very vivid dreams about them, then I wake up and really wonder how they are getting on and how Thier lives have turned out, it’s like I want to reconnect with them and perhaps reconnect with my old life too? I also dream I’m driving which is something I would love to be able to do again. I know I shouldn’t be driving in my dream, and I feel really out of control of the car, not a nice feeling! Maybe representative of my waking life perhaps. Tomorrow I have a Specsavers visual field test as a check up for me to see if there is any improvement. I wonder I am hoping there is so I can one day drive for real, I really need some positive hope my eyesight is improving, it really gets me down x

3 Likes

@Elle1

Good luck with the field test tomo. Do you know what % or whatever you have at the mo - I recall left hemianopia? What did you have before and what is the threshold?

Sorry just curious!

I have basically lost 45-50% of right hand side in both eyes as you know and I have been told that I will never be able to drive.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you that it’s improved but I don’t want you to get totally distraught if you haven’t. I’m sorry to say but I have been told that now after 10 months it is very unlikely that I will ever improve (I’m not saying never but it’s a sort of medical fact if there is such a thing).

Please let me know how it goes.

K

just looked this up

No defects should be present within the radius of the central 20 degrees.

that rules me out I’m afraid!!

But seriously good luck

K

3d Rendered Illustration Of Polar Bear Cartoon Character ...

It’s so horrible for you

I really need some positive hope my eyesight is improving, it really gets me down x

If it doesn’t happen then it doesn’t I’m afraid but try and have a focus on something else too? What else nice can you plan?!?!?

K

2 Likes

Hi KGB with exceptional circumstances I qualify to get a driving assessment at least, even with Hemonopia! I just want to be that ploa bear in the car! Lol I know I need to focus on other things and that’s my little ones but driving is a lovely dream of mine it makes me happy to think about it :blush:

3 Likes

That sounds positive!! I have sent you a provate message with a visual field map of one of my eyes…

K

1 Like