I'm unsure of exactly what happened

About 5 nights about out of nowhere I broke out in an intense sweat and had this sudden sense of doom, I was begging my boyfriend to not let me die because I felt for sure I was going to! On my way out to the car I was running into walls, I could barely make it to the car, once I got to the car and sat down my whole face got tingly and went numb and my right side of my body became paralyzed, I could lift my right arm a tiny bit. This lasted 15-20 minutes, I felt a weird sensation in my left leg and I continued to talk but very slowed down and I felt very ill and weak, once I got to the hospital I was in a daze and non stop crying on and off, I had to keep calming myself down cause I felt I was going to have another episode like that, my right side of my body slowly went back to normal! The hospital I went to treated me very poorly, thought I was faking it and sent me home saying I had a panic attack! Days later I can barely leave bed because I’m so exhausted and feel all together mentally different, just not the same! My speech feels a little more difficult and sometimes I forget where I am! But they said it was an anxiety attack? I feel they are missing something!

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear you’re feeling so poorly, can you go to your GP and talk to him/her about how you’re feeling? It sounds very scary. Good luck, I hope you find answers for whatever it is you are experiencing. X

3 Likes

@Brit560 hi & welcome to the group. That all sounds very scary for you. Did the hospital do checks for things like a TIA / Stroke? Stroke usually affects just one side of the body but not always. Anxiety attacks can bring on all sorts of symptoms and it is possible it could have been that, but if you are concerned you should get yourself checked over again. Has anything happened to make you anxious recently? We know our own bodies best so please speak to your GP or call 111 for advice if you are concerned. If 111 think it’s urgent they will direct you where you need to go.

Hope you get some answers soon and that you start to feel better.

4 Likes

They didn’t do the usual stroke tests they just did a ct which and blood work and I have had nothing giving me anxiety attacks, it came out of nowhere at 10:30pm when I was relaxing at home

1 Like

…sounds like a lot more than a panic attack went on. If the right side of your body became paralyzed, how’s it feeling now? Have you got full range of movement? Is your speech still having problems? There are many strokes that go missed…

good luck, Roland

2 Likes

Sadly my CT scan didn’t show my stroke but thankfully they did an MRI which did.

2 Likes

@Brit560 it sounds like you need to go nack and see someone sooner rather than later. A CT scan doesn’t always pick everything’s up so it might be worth asking for an MRI.

There are conditions that can mimic stroke symptoms but you need to know whats going on for your peace of mind and to ensure you’re getting the right treatment.

3 Likes

Hi @Brit560 definitely go see your GP. I didn’t think I had a stroke but went to see him 5 days later after my symptoms.he phoned hospital and sent me straight there. Mine was confirmed by CT. Hopefully get to the bottom of it.

Steve

3 Likes

Yes an MRI scan would put your mind at rest , go to your GP as soon as possible better to be safe than sorry.

2 Likes

Hello @Brit560
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you have had cause to join us.

Stroke symptoms manifest in many ways. We have a little poll at running about fast which shows in our experience it’s non-reliable test that applies perhaps to a minority!

I went to my GP about funny feelings on multiple occasions It wasn’t until I had an MRI that my neuro something announced who I see you have had multiple strokes!

My reality shouldn’t be taken as your reality.
But
If you had loss of function & tingles or some of numbness confusion balance eyesight fatigue taste hearing smell speech understanding etc it would suggest something neurological is at least worthy of suspicion.

That doesn’t necessarily mean you’ve had cell death of brain tissue.

It does mean it’s worth getting checked out and given the health services reliance on fast, triaging patients vs costs and equipment availability etc you might have to be the squeaky wheel that gets the grease - the health service PALS maybe able to advise.
You don’t say how old you are - the young are more likely to get dismissed as “can’t be having a stroke must be drunk or high”

Anxiety or panic attacks do have physical symptoms in the threat arousal response see below

Ciao
Simon

4 Likes

Things have gone back to normal after 5 days but I’m having mood swings and feel tired on and off frequently! My speech was affected up until yesterday!

2 Likes

I will definitely have to go nack for an mri especially knowing some strokes don’t always show right away on cts and they did mine right after mine happened! I read it could take up to 7 hours before the damage shows on a scan after a stroke!

4 Likes

Even for an MRI, if a stroke is small enough or deep enough it could take a few days for it to reveal. There have been people even on here who’ve had both types of scans right away and nothing has been seen other either, then some 6wks to 3 months later they have another scan and yes, you’ve had a stroke.

So keep pushing, you’ve hade some sort neurological episode that certainly needs further investigation.

2 Likes

Thank you for that advice, I’m seeking out a cardiologist that my grandfather who also had strokes from a young age went to, they got me in right away, for tomorrow! So I’m hoping they will help! I still don’t feel completely normal! I feel very apathetic, with swings of small emotion and hot flashes and cold flashes and my blood pressure keeps going up and down! This is certainly not fun and I need answers!

3 Likes

Good luck :slight_smile:
Fingers crossed

2 Likes

Hope you get the answers you need tomorrow. Good luck x

1 Like

Well something is clearly wrong, so write down all the symptoms you have experienced from day one. Just so you don’t miss out any particular telling clue. I wish you the very best of luck and only the very best of outcomes :smile:

1 Like

Thank you, I appreciate it :pray:

Yea, I’m honestly jotting down everything including my fungal infection stuff because at this point anything could be a cause! And I just hope I could express to them what I experience all day long when I’m not in the drs office for less than an hour! So I’m taking notes and got a BP cuff to document that also! I swear some illness love to hide! But I appreciate all the advice it has helped me a ton, I’m starting to feel confident in getting help and sorta in a sense knowing what I’m dealing with! It’s refreshing to know that I’m not the only one who has dealt with this sort of situation and there are all of you to help! Thank you again :blush:

2 Likes

Every single one of us have been through that life threatening experience, and that’s what strokes are! Can your boyfriend go with you? Not only as support for you but he can backup what you say and maybe remember what you may have forgotten.

1 Like