I'm unsure of exactly what happened

I’ve recently had my first appointment and needed someone with me and a note book full of questions and symptoms. It’s crazy as the minute I say before him I went blank and found I was easily put off when he spoke and interrupted me. Good luck and I hope you find answers! :blush: x

3 Likes

I’m nervous that will happen to me also, but my ma is coming with me so hopefully she’ll speak up if I go blank! I’m sorry you had to experience something similar also! And thank you :blush:

3 Likes

I suffered my first stroke aged 34, back in 2005. Over the past 8 years I’ve been experiencing loads of neurological symptoms and putting them down to old stroke. I’ve found out I have B12 problems after doing some research, and having private tests. Last March I booked to see a private doctor in Cambridge, but then suffered another stroke. This doctor confirmed Pernicioius Anaemia/B12 deficiency. In August I started treatment, but in September I suffered another major stroke,
After my first stroke, the only factor for it was a PFO (hole in heart) which they would only repair/close if I suffered another stroke. Hopefully after 3 strokes this will now be closed.
After finding out about Pernicious Anaemia, I’ve found out it runs in my family and it’s link to stroke due to hyperhomocysteinemia. My stroke consultant thinks my PFO is the cause of my strokes rather than Pernicicous anaemia.

2 Likes

@Sparky902 Hi & welcome to the forum. How unlucky to have had multiple strokes. I really hope they close your PFO now & that you don’t have to wait too long.

This is a great place to ask questions & get advice.

Look forward to hearing more from you.

Best wishes

Ann

2 Likes

Thank you Ann. I’m hoping for PFO closure, GP has just contacted my Cardiologist to chase this up.

3 Likes

I’m sorry you’ve been through so much to try to figure this out! It seems like an extremely scary and difficult journey, one I’m hoping is less extreme for myself but I feel might be just as difficult down the line! But my grandfather actually had a PFO that was causing his strokes because blood clots were building up in it and passing through to his brain causing strokes! He had 5 before they finally figured it out and put in a balloon type device as my grandmother describes it, and he didn’t have another one after and lived till 72! So if that is indeed your cause after they fix you up you should be golden to live a long happy healthy life, stroke free, granted everything is different for everyone!

3 Likes

Thank you Brit. The first stroke took my speech and affected the whole right side of my body, I was in hospital for 2 months. Then I was back busy with 3 young children. Then 18 years later to suffer another 2 strokes. I was given a clot buster with the stroke last September, but still suffered with problems down my right side and vision. My short term memory is badly affected, still early days. They think I have PTSD from my first stroke. I feel very angry that I’ve had to go through this all again. The Stroke Association have been in touch and we’ve arranged a telephone call next month. The lady I spoke with on the phone from the Stroke Association, was lovely and understood everything I was going through. Such a hard journey for sure. I hope you get some answers, keep pushing doctors until you’re satisfied you can do no more. If only I pushed to have the PFO closed, I may never have had to suffer the last two strokes. Sending hugs to you xx

3 Likes

So many ups and downs, I’m sorry to hear it’s been a rocky road! Thank you for you advice and for sharing your story! I hope all goes well from here on out, you deserve a break! Sending positive energy your way :pray::black_heart:

3 Likes