Hope this would help more people in need

A big setback in my career! After recuperating for a period of time, not only did the left arm have no strength, but the muscles of the left hand were lost, and the hand joints were stiff and inflexible, which directly seriously affected the return to normal life! So today, I went to the rehabilitation center to evaluate my physical ability, and I wanted to see if there was any way to relieve the current difficulties in an easy and simple way
After I went to the rehabilitation center, I saw a lot of super cool and easy-to-use equipment, and at first glance, I fell in love with this smart rehabilitation glove, mainly because the appearance is too domineering, full of science and technology, can adjust many different modes, and it is also very portable for auxiliary training, but the rehabilitation therapist said that this equipment is more suitable for patients with weak rehabilitation and control ability of stroke hemiplegia, not for me to use,so I think maybe this is helpful for others who really need this.

6 Likes

Hi @naughtie

Nice username :wink:

Welcome to the forum and it’s great that your first post is trying to help others - THANK YOU

Sorry that you’re going through this. That stuff does look cool!!

Please keep posting and have a look at these if you feel like it.

Perhaps you can add something to this topic first post which is editable if you feel like it.

Thanks and Hello!

Kieran :polar_bear: :wink:

He is a picture of a polar bear just for you

The Weightlifting Polar Bear Sticker - Etsy

2 Likes

Hi and welcome to this forum. We are a merry band of stroke survivors and carers and we are always here to offer help and advice if needed or just to listen whilst you have a rant or a moan.

That looks like an interesting piece of kit, what’s it called. I use a similar thing a Saebo glove. I suffered a hemorrhagic stroke 6 years ago which paralysed my left side and I’m working hard to get some movement back in my hand and arm. Always keen to look at equipment or therapies that might help. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards Sue

2 Likes

@naughtie
and of course
@Susan_Jane

A few of us will be zooming from approx 1-3pm GMT today using the link - feel free to drop in if you feel like it!

K :polar_bear: :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you, Sue, for being really sweet. This is a pneumatic hand function rehabilitation robot glove, I found that it is a syrebo product in China, as far as I know, there are many imitation products of this kind of rehabilitation gloves, probably the saebo glove you said should also be a similar product. My therapist said that the gloves I used in the post have effects such as stimulating the recovery of hand muscles and helping to re-establish nerve pathways, which may help you. :smile:

1 Like

Thank you, KGB! It’s so nice of you and the polar bear is soooo cute, really appreciate that

1 Like

Hi @naughtie
I think Kieran has done all the hello stuff. So I’ll just repeat welcome and the more you interact the more support you’ll get :slight_smile:

The pneumatic glove is on Amazon etc (199£). Seaboe is even more !! but Amy at seaboe will help with set up and use (normally via zoom) - i didn’t find the seabo glove very helpfull

Bioliberty & others are developing next gen activated (pneumatics) - haven’t tried yet but I’m part of the group of guinea pigs - I’ll post when worth saying anything

I find laundry, light switches, door handles, cleaning teeth, showering, better ’ natural’ exercises. Taken me 3yrs so far

The absolutely crucial thing is that you match the exercises and recovery aids to the stage of your development so a glove when you are pre or post the right stage won’t help very much but it will frustrate. The GRASP manual (You need both hospital and home versions to get the full picture) gives a good foundation but only of the repetitive unnatural exercises not the natural knife and fork type things of daily living.

If your arm and hand doesn’t move then getting 5 mm of movement is your threshold. If you can raise your arm to your navel then your target is your chin If you can raise it to your chin then the target is behind your head then you can start brushing/combing your hair that demands compound movements which involve grip, wrist, elbow and shoulder and turning muscles off as well as on -that’s where my challenge really lies .
always strive for an extra few percent and if you achieve that every week or month then useful functionality won’t be that far away though the journey still has a frustratingly long way ahead

5 Likes

@SimonInEdinburgh

Thankyou Simon. For me that is a very useful summary.

Someone once said that Stroke is like searching around in the dark for bits of a jigsaw puzzle that you then need to assemble.
You’ve offered a few pieces there that look like they fit in with some that I have already found.

As you say, there is a long way to go, but all help is appreciated. It is this sort of mutual aid that can benefit many in this position.

Thriving, not just surviving.

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :smiley: :+1:

If it is of any interest, at this time I exercise the fingers of my affected hand as frequently as I can. I simply press with each digit separately in a continuous cycle.
This is a long way on from when there was no response in hand or arm, bu it is still very rudimentary.

5 Likes

There’s a lot we can do - I wrote Digitally Enabled Chronic Care Community Networks: beyond '1hr Fortnightly zoom Cafés' to describe some pathways 18mths ago

I saw on zog last week when you stood where your dexterity was & thought “I’ve seen a similar journey to the one your facing”

Most useful things I have is 3’ broom handle & toothbrush… You’d have kitchen stuff

Happy to talk more…

5 Likes

I think sharing our experience can be cathartic and therapeutic but more important it can provide a light to others on this same path.
I have gained much from what others have written on this forum, it seems only right to give back as best as I am able.

Thriving, not just surviving, seems an excellent motto and aim.

4 Likes

This is all brilliant help, and yes, we all need it, whichever category you’re in. By the way, the disabled rail card is for you and whoever travels with you.
I’ve only communicated with you a couple of times, but already think you are so motivating. Maybe you aught to change your initials to KGBM (M for Motivator)

3 Likes

Don’t encourage him…

4 Likes

I quite enjoyed Jimmy’s Farm…

:wink: :polar_bear:

2 Likes

Sorry everyone

I have been instructed by Ranger James and Lauren to say that I cannot share many of these photos because literally no one outside of farm staff or Jimmy’s family can do this stuff until early next year maybe.

I was a test.

:wink: :polar_bear:

so please don’t advertise that! I have been told by Lauren!!! And she is cool as. and I I may say a little scary in a very good way!

Thanking you all.

K :polar_bear: :wink: :heart:

:polar_bear: :polar_bear: :polar_bear: :polar_bear: :polar_bear: :polar_bear: :polar_bear:

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Maybe I should split this into a new thread - if only I could :person_shrugging: :person_shrugging: :polar_bear: :polar_bear: :polar_bear:

3 Likes

Moving away from the subject to polar bears!

I’d make comments about waving flags but that might be I’ll advised

I took apart in a workshop yesterday that was run by a PhD student and her supervisor that is looking at brain computer interfaces and virtual reality to build gaming therapies for upper limb rehab.

I invited everybody there to our Thursday zooms and in fact the PhD student used to run the stroke associations young person cafe till they closed it and her PhD work became more intense .

I don’t know whether she, the supervisor, or the other to attendees will come but I’m happy to explore connecting people if they’re interested. I don’t know that there’s any direct opportunities but there might be…

Weve potential together so if you’re interested let me know and if there’s opportunity I’ll GRASP it - sorry for the pun - grasp is the name of the ‘best practise’ program in stroke upper limb rehab

Ciao
Simon

1 Like