Hi new here

@Maureen1 welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you lost your husband of 64 years. That is some total to reach.

Having a TIA at a time when you were grieving for your husband must be very difficult.

Listen to your body & rest when you need to. Your family will hopefully come to realise that you can’t do everything you used to. And anyway after caring for your husband i think you’ve earned an easier time.

Wishing you all the best.

Ann x

Welcome to the forum! I’ve not been a member long but it’s a great place!

Thanks for your message RaksP . I am doing my best to keep going with this ghastly feeling in my head but there are times when I just have to go to bed . It does help to talk about it here . Also if I actually do talk about it on the phone I Am quite likely to weep uncontrollably which is no good to anybody . Problem is ,how can I make plans in this condition. I am 9 months in and can’t imagine an end . Sorry to moan

3 Likes

@Gay and others too.
There’s two things, maybe more.
Come to this forum, use it. It is full of kind, caring people and has lots of interesting and useful information.

Have a good moan, you’ll get sympathy and support.
We’ve all been there.
No need to apologise.

Those tears let you start to deal with the stroke. They are good, let them flow.
You aren’t the only one to be overcome with emotion every now and again.
It is something both men and women experience.
Don’t fight it. It will make you stronger.

Do what you can, but learn to be kind to yourself, take a rest, repair and recharge.

keep on keepin’ on
:smiley: :+1:

1 Like

Hi Bobbie , your message came when I was feeling about as bad as I ever have and made me cry again . This afternoon I began to feel so giddy and shaky I simply had to lie down as in the early days when stroke fatigue struck . Why? , I keep asking myself . I am not getting better but seem to be getting worse. My walking used to be really strong , now I feel I need that stick when I used to go without . It is hard to keep positive . Thanks for your booster.

3 Likes

@Gay so sorry you’re feeling that way. If you feel like you’re going backwards is it worth getting yourself checked over by a dr? There may be something they can do to help.

Look after yourself.

Sending you a big hug :hugs:

2 Likes

Hi Gay, I agree with @Mrs5K, I think it would be wise to get checked out with your doctor just to check there’s nothing underlying issues you may not be recognising.

You are also grieving the loss of your husband mere months ago…sending you hugs :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
This is not a good time to be isolating yourself from your family and friends. You need them right now, they don’t need to understand your stroke, they just need to be there for you and for themselves too; so you can all just talk and reminisce the good times. They need that as much as you do; it’s all part of the grieving process.

This is a great forum to come and off load. We’ve all been there at some point and understand what you are going through…even bereavement. You can even start your own post if don’t want to keep tagging onto this one. If you need help with that too, there are plenty of regulars who can explain how…including myself :slightly_smiling_face:

Lastly, I’m sure there are local stroke support groups you would probably benefit from attending and they would love to have you…because they are full of fellow stroke survivors who know and understand exactly what you are going through.
There’s a huge list of them which @SimonInEdinburgh has put together in the linked post below. All you need do is click on it and it will take you to the post, then just scroll down 'til you come to an area you recognise :grinning:

And even though I know I’m late here, welcome to the forum, best to laugh, cry, joke, scream or just talk about anything you need to get off your chest without any need to apologise :hugs: :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Shwmae @Gay, from my own experience, I have found rebuilding from stroke to be not a linear process. I haven’t gone from strength to strength, I have, in fact, dipped and slid, regressed, made progress, and then relapsed back to where it all began. But I do believe this makes sense for some brain injury, as our daily environment, needs, challenges, perspectives, thoughts, and moods change every day - this will also affect the brain’s ability to achieve what it wants to achieve. Today, coming home from my spontaneous holiday, I felt “off” in the car, but had to remind myself that before stroke, an early morning car ride would have affected me uncomfortably, so add that on top of brain damage, and it feels like going backwards but actually isn’t.

It is also good to remember that the first six or so months after stroke can be misleading, the brain is doing self-repair, so a survivor has extra help in feeling capable, but after six months, this repair slows down or stops, and we must encourage it to make new pathways.

2 Likes