Fully dressed and walked down stairs to the surprise of my wife

Managed to completely get dressed and get to the kitchen for breakfast today without assistance much to the pleasant surprise of my good lady, not major progress but a milestone. Never give up and keep on pushing yourself for a return to a mobile life

19 Likes

That’s is wonderful news, you should be so proud of yourself if I think back to just after my stroke getting dressed was so difficult, everything would go on back to front and inside out, but not think there was anything wrong with it, thankfully now that’s doesn’t happen! onwards and upwards and the right way round!:+1:

2 Likes

That’s an amazing achievement, well done you :clap:.

Keep on keeping on

Regards Sue

3 Likes

Thanks Elle, even today I had some slip ups but the end result was good but even after nearly three years I’m not there yet but better.

5 Likes

Yaahhh :slight_smile: :clap:

Well done and thank you for sharing a milestone. Seeing others achieve their milestones helps spur one on with the pursuit of one’s own.

2 Likes

Thanks over time it marked how far I’ve come.

In my recovery my wife is more relaxed as it shows better independence too.

5 Likes

@mrfrederickson and everyone else

Well done!

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :grinning: :+1:

4 Likes

@mrfrederickson what do you mean not major progress!! It is a fantastic achievement & you should be very proud.

All these things add up & show a gradual return to a more normal life…with some adaptions of course.

Well done. Shout it from the rooftops.

4 Likes

I think, too, that is Major Progress. Congratulations!

Please keep up the good work. So proud of you. Wow!

4 Likes

It most certainly is major when you consider how far you have come and it’s just so satisfying to achieve…no matter how small you think it might be :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks everyone I’m not very good at seeing my achievements but I recognise the love from my family and you my friends, god bless us all

8 Likes

Well done! It just shows what can achieved if you stick at it. :wave: :wave:

1 Like

Little improvement are big improvements. Recovering from a stroke is one of the hardest things a person can do.

You have a desire to get better - my mother didn’t. Her apathy was beyond belief. You are trying and are conscious of that. That is what is needed. I am so proud of you. I would give you the biggest hug for getting fully dressed and walking downstairs. Bravo! My mother could have dressed herself 1 year after her stroke with no problems, and she could have easily walked downstairs from her bedroom
to the kitchen on her own. She just always refused, as she made my father do everything for her. There were a few times where she’d dress herself pretty much alone, but they were rare.

My mother never appreciated her ability to walk again and use her hand like she did before the stroke. Sadly, her emotional mind was too far gone to realize her physical achievements. She never grasped the severity/scope of her stroke. Not sure if it was denial, PTSD, brain damage, or some combination thereof. When she was applauded for her ability to walk, she simply said, “Yeah, I can walk well…it’s no big deal!” God love her! You see that there is more to stroke recovery than overcoming physical disabilities.

1 Like

Hi mr Frederick son this takes me back to January when I first came home and needed so much help. Nearly 8 months on I’m doing a whole lot of things by myself so it’s so true keep believing, keep doing the exercises and always keep positive. Not easy to do at times and when we have setbacks but keep aiming for those little goals. Well done you kind regards and all my best wishes for further successes suzywong x

2 Likes

Thanks Moira
Your comments are most kind I’m sorry to hear your mum is not pushing the boundaries of her capabilities, determination and tenacity are key to a stroke recovery , mental approach is everything. In my case I want my old capabilities back or as close as possible and strive every day. No surrender no retreat. Take care.

Mark

3 Likes

Wow that’s brilliant progress onwards and upwards now take care

1 Like

Yes, determination and tenacity are key to stroke recovery. My poor mother had none of that. And so she regressed. She basically went insane. Oh well…life is what life is.

You have the determination and tenacity to keep improving every single day.

Maybe I suggest doing light qigong. Look it up. Just very simple exercises. If you can’t do them, just visualise them.

Take good care and the best of luck.

1 Like

Well done @mrfrederickson - you’re giving us all encouragement with your fantastic news! Take care, John aka Bert

4 Likes

That’s the key “determination and tenacity”. I seemingly made great strides I think, because of that attitude. Well done mrfrederickson!
I remembered early on when putting on Tshirts and jumpers is that there is always a label on the inside, which is on the left hand side - giving you a clue as to which way around it goes on to your head. That was a new discovery for me.
Good luck, Duncan

3 Likes

Thanks Bert I’m always a little nervous about reporting progress as it may be seen as showing off which is not intended only to show what can be achieved by a certain approach and determination.
Mark

3 Likes