Flu and Covid jabs

Hi I’ve just been reading about low immune systems after stroke. What are your thoughts about having the flu and new Covid jabs ? I am concerned as I’m not sure whether it’s better to have them or not? Would like to hear your views. Hope everyone is well and still battling on love Suzywong x

4 Likes

Suzywong. I’m not sure about the Covid jab. Refused the last booster as when I had the one before that I had a stroke 3 weeks later. My common sense and my GP tell me it’s unlikely the jab caused the stroke but it’s always at the back of my mind. I’m booked for the flu jab but still unsure about the Covid one. What does everyone else think? Janet

3 Likes

Hi apple thanks for your thoughts . Like you I had my last coved booster about 4 weeks before i had my stroke and it has crossed my mind that the two may be connected . Shall have to make up my mind x

2 Likes

I had a stroke about 4 months after my last covid booster. They’re probably not linked but like some others have replied, I have the link in my head, so won’t be having any more. I am booked in for the flu jab though in a week or two. Nigel

2 Likes

@Suzywong this is very much a personal choice & you have to do what feels right for you.

I had my stroke 3 weeks after a covid booster. I also linked the 2 but logic tells me a carotid artery dissection was unlikely to have been caused by a covid jab. I’m still not sure though.

I have another medical condition now as well as having had a stroke which means I am more vulnerable so have had more covid jabs. I worried when having them but all was ok (side effects aside).

I am booked for my flu jab in couple of weeks time.

Chat it through with your GP & decide from there.

Best wishes

Ann xx

2 Likes

I will be having all my vaccines as usual. Like yourself and the others, I too wondered if it was a covid jab that caused mine. Then when it became time I went and had my boosters anyway and I’ll continue having them. And I’ve never had any side effects from them either so I’m still happy to continue.

Besides, I don’t want to be the one who gives covid to my mother-in-law. She’s just recovered from 2 lung ops in the past few months, she’s 80 and we would very much like to keep her for many more years. So we won’t be gambling with her health.

I’ve been cold, pneumonia, flu and covid free now for the past 8yrs and I like being that way :blush: They can put unnecessary strain on your body and lower your immune system too and that can lead to something far more serious. I’m 61 now and I’d like to leave the GP surgeries and hospitals free of me to get on with caring for those who are really sick.

4 Likes

Thanks Ann and I’ll talk it through wx my dr but I know I couldn’t cop wx another stroke! I’ve had Covid before and I was ok but I know this strain is different.

2 Likes

Hi emeraldeyes I think I’ll discuss it wx my gp. I just know I couldn’t deal wx another stroke and unlike you I have been quie poorly wx my jabs .

2 Likes

I will be having flu jab on Monday. From Monday I will be able to book a Covid booster jab. Both jabs have been recommended by my GP so I will follow Doctors advice.

4 Likes

Thanks Nigel. The thought of having another stroke scares me to death and there is a link albeit a small one. Nice to know your thoughts

4 Likes

Hi Suzy,

I have just got back from the GP after having had my latest vid booster.

I am going to listen my own common sense that tells me that, even though I had 3 strokes after I had had jabs - can’t remember the dates or anything but last one was probably within a few months, I do not think that vaccines heighten your chance of stroke.

This is my opinion based on me and scientific facts and data I have read.

BUT everyone must make their own choice and I certainly can understand why you would be nervous if the time between your jabs and strokes was so short!

So sorry I’m not much use!! Good luck making your decision and it will be right for you whatever it is.

K

3 Likes

It’s easy for me as I’ve never had bad reactions to any medications but those who do, it’s always a gamble. My stroke could have been the result of the covid jab, it was only a couple months after it. I merely “make like an ostrich”, my attitude is bury my head in the sand and just go for it anyway, life’s a gamble anyway. But we are not all the same and I do respect that. Just like my daughter is seriously scared of spiders and I’m not :smile:

2 Likes

The last covid jab I had made me have a funny turn about 2 hours after and that scared me so I didnt have the last booster. I am undecided about it but I will have the flu jab as usual. It scares you for further jabs and I know a lot of people who never have any of them and seem to be alright. Norma

2 Likes

They’re not for me. I have my reasons. However, you do exactly what makes you comfortable, good luck, Roland

3 Likes

It it helps anyone (or maybe doesn’t help sorry!!)

I can report that 3 hours after my covid booster (jab no 5). I feel no adverse effects aside from a very slight dull sort or bruise type pain in the jab area!!

I also checked and I had my last jab 2 months before my 3 strokes.

2 Likes

Every one here needs to do what they see fit. I am not for flu shots/etc. for people with autoimmune diseases. Also, people with strokes often have compromised immune systems, so I wouldn’t be for them in that case, either. But I am not here to tell anyone what to do. I don’t judge others for simply wanting to protect their health.

I will speak more to this issue, if someone wants me to. I’ve seen people with autoimmune disease became terribly ill and get horribly low blood counts after flu shots/vaccines. Also, those with low platelets really need to be careful with flu shots, as they can trigger internal bleeds.

However, in healthy people, I don’t have any issue with them, but…

2 Likes

I suspect it’s probably coincidence that one caused the other. I would like to think that all the research that was done beforehand would have discovered such a major problem. Having had Covid in March (which only lasted 5 days) I was glad I’d had my jabs otherwise it probadly would have been much worse. I’m having both jabs tomorrow morning. I work with vulnerable adults, so I’ll feel happier when it’s done.

2 Likes

Sorry, just double checked - my first stroke that I knew about was 3 months after my last covid booster. However Im told I probably had a silent stroke before that, but I don’t know when it was - but I belive it was in September last year (I thought I was having a bad vertigo attack), which was before my last covid booster (and 5 months after the previous one). Im booked in for a flu jab next week As others have said, it has to be a personal decision and one you’re comfortable with. I doubt Ill have another covid booster My wife had covid twice and I didn’t catch it (but I know I might not be so lucky in future).

1 Like

I’ve had numerous jabs and so far not contracted either covid or flu. If my doctor recommends it I will take whatever is offered !

1 Like

I had my spring covid jab just under four months after my stroke in February 2023. I was sleepy for a few days, with a sore arm, exactly the same reactions as pre-stroke doses. I am going to continue with the jabs because two fully vaccinated friends who lately caught Covid for the first time, felt quite unwell and might have been more ill without any protection. But it’s a moot point. I also think with the new variant around that wearing a mask in crowded places is a good idea. Before the days of masks I used a scarf in supermarkets just to avoid the flu. Hope this helps…
MTA (modified to add) I know what caused my stroke, which makes a difference.

1 Like