Feeling the cold

Hi i am 7and half years post stroke. I am just wondering if any one else feels the cold more than they use to before stroke

7 Likes

Hi there. I certainly feel the cold more post stroke. I suspect one of the reasons for this is that I am on Bisoprolol (beta-blocker) to slow down my heart rate to help prevent further stroke. I do notice that my extremities (hands and feet) soon get cold.
I now wear heavy socks and gloves for much longer periods of time now to keep my feet, lower legs and hands warm.

4 Likes

I certainly feel the cold especially in my left side as that was the side that was effected by my stroke. I say that I have a dodgy thermostat

4 Likes

Hi Steve I’m 7 years post stroke in February 2024. I definitely feel the cold more than before my stroke. The hot weather doesn’t seem to bother me but I’m always feeling cold, even at home when everyone else is overheating with the central heating on, I feel cold. Really difficult trying to keep everyone happy :grinning: :laughing:.

Change in body temperature seems to be common post stroke, unfortunately something else we have to contend with :pensive:.

Regards Sue
:pensive:

3 Likes

That is how i feel the heat doesn’t bother me much but i am now feeling the cold more my wife is fine with the temperature but I am shivering

3 Likes

Ditto :frowning:

My affected hand feels cold to the touch & is more susceptable to ambient cold. Also my affected leg & foot but less so

My whole body, but particularly the muscles on my affected (right side) tense up in the cold so i have to consciously try and turn off muscles - this effects my gait, posture aches & pains :frowning:

Caio

3 Likes

Definitely feel the cold more. Not just affected side though. My hands & feet seem to be permanently cold now & gloves, scarves & hoods are worn for longer than they used to be.

Same with me my left foot gets so cold it feels wet but socks and boots are dry

1 Like

Same here ,the cold weather makes my jaw and neck ache so much ,I’m sat here now with a blanket and the heating on :cold_face:

2 Likes

I am sitting in front of the fire with a woolly hat and a fleece lined waistcoat on

3 Likes

I am wearing some new heavy socks now that I bought yesterday. They are doing a good job. I feel like I am stood on a hot tropical beach!
:desert_island:

4 Likes

I’m sat under a 13 tog quilt with two cats but I’m just about to light the log burner

2 Likes

Get that fire lit :fire: and keep warm

4 Likes

It’s definitely a thing. Cold all the time, when it is “actually” cold, my bad side is useless due to excessive shivering.

But at least I’m still shivering :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Itcan be the same with me. I have just bought my self a heated vest to try and keep myself warm when I am outside. I don’t seem to feel the heat though

2 Likes

Hi since the stroke I’ve got chattering teeth in these winter months feeling the cold so much more I’ve got two rooms with electric oil filled radiators on all the time in these cold months
Take care and hope you feel warmer soon :blush::+1:

3 Likes

Shwmae, I think @EmeraldEyes posted about cold and the body some time back, the body actually feels the cold because it is shutting down for the night over the Winter months. Not sure how accurate I am with this but it makes sense. I imagine that after stroke the brain can’t regulate these distinctions as well as it used to.

4 Likes

That is another way of thinking about it you may be right

1 Like

@Stevethegrease

What has your dog all over his jowls?

Is he just stolen a birthday cake or something and that sugar icing It can’t be snow, Perhaps he’s been helping you plaster a wall?

And while we’re at it :slight_smile: why Steve the grease?

:slight_smile:

1 Like

It is snow the photo was taken a few years ago. His name is Rrnie spelt like that as the strain of border terriers he is from there names all begin with a R his mother is called Radish. As for stevthegrease i am a mechanic a grease monkey

2 Likes