Exercise 5 days post stroke

Hi
Please can anyone give me guidance on exercise following my stroke.
It’s only been five days and I feel nervous about pushing things too early?
I am only thinking walks etc at this stage
Thanks
Graham

Graham. I would suggest staring small and building up. If walking, set yourself a safe distance so you know you can get there and return safely. Carry a mobile phone with you. Focus on your walking rather than looking around. If you wobble, stop and then start again.

Plenty of strength and balance exercises on line if you Google something like ‘exercise after stroke’

@Gbucktrout a lot will depend on how you feel & how the stroke has affected you. Have you been given any physio to do? I would suggest starting slowly and for short distances to see how you get on. Maybe take someone with you. I am still not able to go for walks as my dizziness kicks in quite quickly but I do still hobble around the house & garden. One thing most stroke survivors have in common is fatigue so getting plenty of rest is important too.

1 Like

Shwmae @Gbucktrout, what symptoms do you have? it is important not to push things, generally, as there is the boom-bust cycle to avoid which essentially means that the brain doesn’t digest what you are working on because it has been strained and reaches neurological-fatgue, making progress slower and more difficult. But as many have responded, small steps and often is key. For about six months your brain is trying to repair itself, neuroplasticity, this will slow down after six months, and progress is considered to slow down.

Thanks everyone. I have no way to gauge anything at the moment and this is very helpful

Take things slowly. Fatigue is a big problem usually. Only walk short distances to start with. Try and take someone with you. Make sure you see a Physio ASAP.