Does your health regress after a while

as it says can you regress , i have been feeling not good this last week , i even started dribbling and a slight slurring of word ,which is new for me ,i had my stroke in september past

3 Likes

Hi @cuddyhung

Short answer yes.

If you want to complicate a simple yes with the medical jargon then go and search for decompensations - 1 or 2 people have posted threads. EG

Stress, fatigue, cold weather, infection etc etc often make you aware of them or make them worse and the natural ebb & flow seems to play a part too

There is a stroke association website page that mentions it (9th paragraph) - it might help youÂż:
Neuroplasticity: re-wiring the brain | Stroke Association.

Google will show you endless more academic papers on the same topic :slight_smile: one early hit talks of somebody having decompensations 28 years after the initial stroke

Ciao
Simon

4 Likes

This seems more common than I thought!! I visited my GP this week and was pretty much told that there isnt any answer. He said strokes take a major toll on the body even when like mine there arent any major or noticable physical effects. Rest when you need to, when you are feeling ok, dont overdo it. Just wish I had known this could happen, I was discharged after 2 months with no real information as to what to expect.

3 Likes

One thing is certain, especially in the first months, is discovering that there are all sorts of things to worry about.

Stroke is a traumatic event, not easily forgotten, with side effects lasting apparently without end.

Of course saying that there is nothing to worry about is an answer that is of no use whatsoever.

First of all, you will have the ups and downs that are a part of life whether you have had stroke or not. You must get through the difficult times and make the most of the good times.

A big problem for those affected by stroke is the way that it isolates. It is like being surrounded by a big wall which protects but separates from the world.

When you realise you are not alone that wall begins to collapse. You begin to get a perspective on your situation.

You can do what you have done by posting on this forum.
You will be heard, you will begin to find yourself again.
Also you will become part of a process that is healing for us all.

Share your ups and downs and discover yourself again.

I am one of many, always happy to listen and share.

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :smiley: :+1:
:heart:

7 Likes

The were numourus times I thought I was regressing in that first year post stroke. I’m 3 years ps now and still recoving minor issues. You are still in the early stages of recovery and nothing in stroke recovery is set in stone as we’ve all discovered.

Also it’s very much 2 steps forward 1 step back in those early months. So what you may find is you recover a little in some area and regress a little as the brain comes to terms with the change. Also it can feel like you’re regressing if you’ve had a particularly busy week, pushed yourself a little to far. In either case your brain retreats to rest…for want of a better word…and then you continue forward again to achieve your next goal in recovery. Thats how I look at it anyway😊

5 Likes

@cuddyhung As time goes on you will probably experience more of this. I think I’ve used the term before but it’s like a game of snakes and ladders, you think your recovery has got to a.certain level then it seems to go into reverse. It’s very common, which of course doesn’t make it any less annoying, but you just have to get back on the ladder. Best wishes.

7 Likes

A little of something else can help

turn it up

It ain’t what you do, it’s the way that you do it
And that’s what gets results

It ain’t what you do, it’s the time that you do it

You can try hard
(aah-ahh-ah)
Don’t mean a thing
(aah-ahh-ah)
Take it easy
(aah-ahh-ah)
Then your jive will swing
(aah-ahh-ah)

It ain’t what you do, it’s the place that you do it

Do do do do-do do-do do do dooo
Do do do do-do do-do do do dooo
Do do do do-do do-do do do dooo (ah ah ah ah ah)

I thought I was smart but I soon found out
I didn’t know what life was all about
But then I learned I must confess
That life is like a game of chess

You can try hard
(aah-ahh-ah)
Don’t mean a thing
(aah-ahh-ah)
Take it easy
(aah-ahh-ah)
Then your jive will swing
(aah-ahh-ah)

'T ain’t what you do it’s the way that you do it

keep on keepin’ on
:musical_note: :grinning: :notes:

3 Likes

@cuddyhung i think you can regress at times & as others have said over doing it (even when you think you haven’t), the cold weather, stress etc can all play a part.

That said if you have new symptoms that are worrying you you should get them checked out.

Hope you feel better soon.

6 Likes

I would say yes. Looking back over the 6 years since diagnosis, I can see that some of my symptoms have worsened in a yearly incremental way but without any major single adverse events.
Some of this regression I think is due to natural ageing.
To counterbalance this, the regression of my symptoms has been tempered by my learning how to live post stroke (eg. learning to rest more).

6 Likes

Some of these old tunes have a lot to say

Help!

The Beatles

Help! I need somebody
Help! Not just anybody
Help! You know I need someone
Help!

When I was younger, so much younger than today
I never needed anybody’s help in any way
But now these days are gone and I’m not so self assured
Now I find I’ve changed my mind, I’ve opened up the doors

Help me if you can, I’m feeling down
And I do appreciate you being 'round
Help me get my feet back on the ground
Won’t you please, please help me?

And now my life has changed in oh so many ways
My independence seems to vanish in the haze
But every now and then I feel so insecure
I know that I just need you like I’ve never done before

When I was younger, so much younger than today
I never needed anybody’s help in any way
But now these days are gone, I’m not so self assured
Now I find I’ve changed my mind, I’ve opened up the doors

Help me, help me, oh

:sunflower:

keep on keepin’ on
:musical_note: :smiley: :notes:

4 Likes

I am now saving my ‘hearts’ for the best answer(s). I love that so many have posted in support when someone asks a question, and all of the answers are relevant, but some are more helpful than others, so my ‘heart’ goes to @SimonInEdinburgh 's answer.

I am 2.5 years on and still go back and forth. Sometimes one would never guess stroke was my issue, or even that I have issues. However, other times, it is very obvious. it could be days, or just hours difference between the two.

2 Likes

Are you saving hearts because you continue to run out of them?

(& What about you @EmeraldEyes ? I guess your still using a prioritising strategy?)

:slight_smile:
Simon
PS
@DeAnn thanx : :blush:

1 Like

Have to Simon because I never seem to have enough when I really need them anyway.

1 Like

I am just coming up to two years post stroke. I was very lucky as symptoms go - no visible defects but the whole of my left side lost feeling. It gradually got better and after about 18 months I honestly thought I was pretty much fully recovered. Then around Christmas I had a few of the old “bad days”. Tiredness - unable to focus when someone is talking to you and that tension down the left side again.
I have to admit I felt a bit low for a few days following that. Reading this thread confirms that its OK. I’m not getting worse - just not quite whole again yet.
It is what it is- stay positive

4 Likes

I missed your post near the holidays. I am sorry you had no reply.

How are you feeling now? I hope the symptoms you were having have now dissipated and you are back to the point you felt well.

2 Likes

I too missed it - (because of thread was flooded) - I suppose the upside to that is that with the passing of a few weeks we can ask…

@mikesanderson How are you doing now?

~~

Returning to this thread also shows me that it was once again a place where people asked for the likes limit to be raised - it’s ironic the only person with a higher like limit amongst us is Ann and she doesn’t use them all while the people who would use them are held at a lower level. It’s a 1-minute change.
We’re told will be consulted - that hasn’t happened in at least the last 18 months - and we aren’t even listen to either.
2¢

1 Like