Delivered my first cup of tea in 2 years

My dear lady was resting and it was our usual tea time and like so many before she would brew up and deliver a fine cup of tea and a cookie.
I decided today is the day for me to brew up an deliver hers.

My test was only one arm so it meant stick free walk from kitchen back to lounge with no soils or falls
I’m glad to report successful mission, two teas angers delivered with only a small spill plus help opening the door, she was impressed as am I but left leg a bit tired

12 Likes

Yay that’s amazing @mrfrederickson well done you. I remember very well the 1st time i managed to carry a cuppa ftom kitchen to lounge. Feels good doesn’t it.

2 Likes

Well done :clap:. Great achievement. I remember it well, getting from the kitchen to the lounge without my stick with my cup of tea and going back to the kitchen to get my biscuit :grinning:. I always feel very pleased with myself. I love my cups of :tea: and when my husband is at work I make at least 5 cups a day. I always feel that it’s good exercise, getting up and down and walking backwards and forwards and frequent trips to the loo. That’s my excuse for drinking lots of tea anyway.

Keep up the good work

Regards Sue

1 Like

Something to build o and slowly my independence will return absolutely Sue the loo trips walking to the dining room for meals all add up every day, keeping on doing that closes the gap on normality for sure.

3 Likes

Thanks Sue it is a turning point in my recovery and bringing me closer to independence with each achievement

2 Likes

Well done @mrfrederickson It must be great to feel you are making progress and so good to be able to give back even if in a small way to someone who has been looking after you all this time.
I’m very happy for you and your wife.

Keep on keepin’ on
:smiley: :+1:.

1 Like

Thanks Bobbi,
Th e pay back begins, I owe her everything and gladly return the care given me inc that dreadful time

4 Likes

@mrfrederickson I know just what you mean, well done and good for you.

Keep on keepin’ on
:smiley: :+1:

1 Like

I’m locked on target and every da is a day closer to getting where I want to be

2 Likes

Hi there well done you in reaching achievement no matter how long it takes each little step along the way is moment to savour and to celebrate so well done as stroke survivor myself I know how much that meant to you you know most days can be frustrating because everything you took for granted a did without thought as been taken from you so you have to relearn to do it another way so you have to break everything down in small stages by do this we can achieve more then first think so once again we’ll done for reaching your goal take care and hope you reach many more goals along your road from stroke recovery from one stroke survivor to another May you have many more moments like this and happy days ahead all best K61

4 Likes

Fully agree it’s about celebrating the little things we used to take for granted.

I welcome the mundane back to my life with joy in my heart, look forward to making many more brews and bringing them to those who care for me.

3 Likes

My friend Bryan is 8 years into his recovery and walking well with his right arm and hand operating normally his advice is keeping on doing the day to day and walking around with plenty of arm stimulation and it will all come together for me, I pray he’s right.

5 Likes

That sounds like some good advice from your friend. Incorporating your rehab into daily activities makes it easier to keep going.

1 Like

It does make it difficult to pin point the exact point of full recovery especially when the whole process has been over 8 years or more

1 Like

I’m not sure anyone can pinpoint the point of full recovery. Recovery is different for everyone and can take weeks, months or years and for some it may never happen. All we can do is focus on making improvements as we go and come to accept what we can do and make the best of that rather than focus on what we can’t do. Realistic goals are a great thing to have but acceptance of the new versions of ourselves is equally important.
You’re doing great just keep going and you’ll get there.

2 Likes

I will keep on going all to gain my happy place

4 Likes

I will throw a big party when I get to my happy place lots of people I know will be invited

3 Likes

I’d agree with your friend’s advice! It does become easier the more frequently you perform a task. Repetition and the frequency of repetition is what the brain depends on to learn or retrain itself to that task.

So well done carry that brew to your wife, you reached another milestone :grinning: Regularly carrying anything around in your hand will help with the brain training.

My right arm rested across my chest in the beginning and my hand grip was decidedly iffy to say the least. So when I started walking I’d carry something around in my right hand as much as possible, mainly unbreakable’s to begin with :wink: Over time it would be things with more weight to them (ankle weights/light dumbbells) to encourage my arm to stay down at my side.
And it worked!

1 Like

good for you my stroke was last may. i go to yoga weekly, even though have to have volontory car to pick me up from vilage, but walk back from pool to bus stop 15 minutes, i get tired as i try to do house work at weekend mainly. i go to a health and well being group for writing on thursday friday a couple of hours in charity shop, this week was hard as i had to have hair done in town as village one wasnt well and had to walk from main road as bus drops me there. another 15 up hill to bungalow, not forgetting shopping on monday plus washing up, in machine.husband helps my hand isnt right or leg, but i walk maybe 45 minutes get lonely as relatives too far, thats why i go to town a lot , can use tin opener, right handas that was affected, im 76

3 Likes

Yes you are spot on my ability to get in and out of the car is vastly improved after many times of doing it. My arm thankfully hangs loosely by my side with no ability to grip so that change is in the lap of the brain repair team. I live in hope, very faint abilities to extend and pull back are there, but the wake up phase has not happened yet, I have experienced spontaneous recovery with some left leg movements but this has not happened for the arm yet.

4 Likes