Creatine for Fatigue?

The Daily Mail has just published an article on the benefits of a supplement called Creatine for treating fatigue in ‘long-covid’ (if that is such a thing) and fibromyalgia.

After 5 years, post-stroke, fatigue is my biggest nightmare. I’ve just come through a two-day wipeout after probably overdoing my walking at the weekend.

Has anyone tried Creatine?

I’ve just ordered some to take for the next 6-months, to see if it improves things for me.

This was the article

3 Likes

@IanG

I have not heard of it and I know what you mean about fatigue.

Nearly killed me walking the 10 mins each way (should be 5 according to google maps) to my blood test and back with my housemate and had to sit down for 15 mins after we got back earlier!

But I have a GP on Monday so I will add that to my list of things to ask about! I’ll let you know what he says. If you can get it prescribed…!

I will read the article!

K

Keep cool :wink: :polar_bear:

3 Likes

I’ve never heard of it, but would be interested to know more as fatigue is my major problem at the moment.

4 Likes

I will report back my experience after 3 & 6 month periods, just like in the trials. I’d try anything to solve the fatigue nightmare.

4 Likes

I’ve never heard of this but definitely interested in how you get on & whether there are any contraindications for stroke meds.

3 Likes

Looking around the net, it’s a bit mixed on its benefits. Lots of coulds but not many wills. The tests seem a bit limited number wise and would not pass on a scientific basis.
But it seems to be risk free and it might give a boost.

People commonly use creatine for improving exercise performance and increasing muscle mass. It is also used for muscle cramps, fatigue, multiple sclerosis (MS), depression, and many other conditions
but there is no good scientific evidence to support most of these uses.

Muscle strength. Taking creatine by mouth seems to somewhat improve muscle strength in both younger and older adults.

Athletic performance. Taking creatine by mouth seems to somewhat improve rowing, jumping, and soccer performance. It’s not clear if it helps with sprinting, cycling, swimming, or tennis.

4 Likes

It comes under ‘vitamins & supplements’ so the fact there’s no real scientific evidence doesn’t surprise me. There’s no money in it for the drug companies.

3 Likes

Interesting ! However all I thought was Creatine is what is found in Urine

You’re mistaking Creatine for Creatinine :wink:

1 Like

Ah my bad haha , I didn’t spot that.

2 Likes

I’ve used creatine like the bodybuilders do: for strength and hypertrophy of muscle tissue. It does seem to increase strength and stamina. I haven’t used it since my stroke a year ago, but I will probably go back to it.

3 Likes

I googled it too, not that I suffer fatigue much, but it does sound a bit of holy grail supplement. So I like to check the effect it would have on T2 diabetes, which I am, and low and behold, it’s good for that too. Needless to say I’m sceptical!

3 Likes

Type II diabetes is almost certainly a dietary metabolic disorder. So, until that’s corrected no pills, potions or powders will solve anything. You’re right to be sceptical.

3 Likes

Hi @KGB

I just wondered if you asked your GP about using creatine and what they said? I’m more interested if there’s likely to be an interaction with existing medications (I’m on clopidogrel, avorstatin and lansoprazole) rather than if there was an opinion on if it works.

I’m always nervous about reducing the effectiveness of my medication - but I think the only way to find out if it works is to try it - even if it’s only a placebo effect it might just help.

Thanks

Nigel

2 Likes

Hi Nigel,

I’m sorry I did have it on my list but unfortunately some other stuff came up - got a few BP issues…

So I didn’t have time this week but my next appointment a week on monday I am hoping to have improved with meds etc so I have noted it forward for then.

I promise I will ask and feedback and have bookmarked this…

K

:polar_bear: :wink:

Square Pill Box Polar Bear Ice Printed 2 Compartment Medicine Pill Case  Metal Decorative Pill Box for Pocket Or Purse Pill Box : Amazon.co.uk:  Health & Personal Care

2 Likes

Hi @Fkbennett

I hope you get you BP issue sorted. If you do get chance to ask about creatine, I’d be interested in what was said.

Thank you

Nigel

2 Likes

Hi

I had a telephone appointment with my GP this morning and asked her about creatine - she wouldn’t answer the question about whether I can take it with my current medication as it isn’t a medicine. She did suggest I’d be better off making sure I drink plenty of fluids and keeping my activity levels as high as possible.

I’d still be interested to know what others find out about creatine as I haven’t dismissed getting some. I wouldn’t expect a doctor to say it will work, that’s something I need to try for myself and see what effect it has.

Nigel

3 Likes

I started it Monday. 5g per day. Still alive as I write this reply :joy:

4 Likes

Hi @IanG

I’ll be interested to know if it helps with the fatigue - I hope it workd for you.

Cheers

Nigel

3 Likes

I did ask my primary care Dr and he told me not to take it as it can ruin your liver If you don’t drink enough water so if you do just remember to drink a lot of water

3 Likes