CBD and Chronic pain

As one door closes, another door closes …

2 Likes

Hi Nigel & Happy Easter,

There’s a lot of stigma vs CBD. One would almost think “they” were trying to put you off it. Luckily, rather than just relieve someone from chronic pain, it does a lot more. But that’s a whole new chapter for a whole new day.

ciao, Roland

provided it’s CBD +THC, otherwise you’re right, CBD is useless

3 Likes

I like both of your comments, even though it seems they don’t exactly correspond. As anti THC as I may seem, it does have some benefits. CBD is a great placebo for some, so have at it. Too expensive for me.

THC on the other hand does relieve pain some, but not enough for me. About the same as Tylenol or Advil. If I had trouble with appetite, though, this would be my go to. Unfortunately, my appetite is over healthy. And if one likes the feeling of being free from troubles for a bit, I suppose, THC, much like alcohol might give a brief reprieve. Just be careful that you watch your intake as both are addictive, as well as that feeling.

I already know I have addictions to food, cigarettes, and possibly other things I am unaware of…shopping there for awhile after stroke, which was not a problem for me before that. Talking might be a new one as well. Not sure as so far, it has not seemed problematic. But knowing I have that tendency already keeps me away from both, or any other substance.

4 Likes

I’ve never taken THC in a purely medical form and not in any other form in the last 30 or more years but I’m glad not to be taking it these days as it delivers a strong “can’t be arsed” torpa that would do for my small vestige of motivation around many things

I guess I’m glad I’m not inconstant pain because I think given the choice between torpor and pain I choose the former and then be very dissatisfied because I’d get nothing done

Tough choice…

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I don’t think there will ever be a universal cure for pain. As is apparent from stroke, our brains are wired subjectively and will treat stimulants and medication in the same way. I’m always cool when it comes to the fanatic approach to endorsing or dismissing anything to another. I think I have cultivated this stance from years of foraging and interest in herbalism.

1 Like

Continuing on from “it does a lot more than treat pain”. Why does Hemp successfully ameliorate symptoms that Leukemia sufferers endure ? because it grows at high altitude and resists radiation from the Sun. Plus, not that many years ago it was discovered that we have an endocannabinoid system, and produce our own CBD. Marijuana is another word for it, but again a word designed to put you off, as if it were a harmful, addictive drug.

Here’s a typical story of a Leukemia patient who was beyond medical help…( took me 0,5 seconds to come across this scientific paper: ) And let me just state we’re only scratching the surface here. Enjoy the read , ciao, Roland

A 14-year-old female, P.K., presented with symptoms of weakness, shortness of breath and bruising when she was taken to the Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada, on the 10th March 2006. She was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL), with >300,000 blast cells present. Acute chemotherapy followed by a standard chemotherapy regimen went on for 6 months after the diagnosis. Upon further analysis, she was found to be positive for the Philadelphia chromosome mutation. A mutation in the Philadelphia chromosome is a much more aggressive form of ALL. When standard treatment options were unsuccessful, a bone marrow transplant was pursued. She successfully received the transplant in August 2006 and was able to be released from isolation 45 days later. She was observed posttransplant by following the presence of blast cells, noted 6 months after treatment. Consequently, in February 2007, aggressive chemotherapy procedures (AALL0031) were administered along with a tyrosine kinase inhibitor, imatinib mesylate (Gleevac), 500 mg orally twice a day. In November 2007, 9 months after the transplant, the presence of premature blast cells was observed and it was determined that another bone marrow transplant would not be effective. In February 2008, in an effort to sustain the patient, another tyrosine kinase inhibitor, disatinib (Sprycel), was administered at 78 mg twice a day with no additional rounds of chemotherapy. The patient experienced increased migraine-like headaches in June 2008. After conducting a CT scan of the head in July 2008, cerebellitis was noted. It was assumed by the primary oncologist that the blast cells could have infiltrated the CNS and be present in the brain, although none were noted in the blood. By October 2008, ten treatments of radiation therapy had been administered to the brain.

On the 4th February 2009, blood was noted in the patient’s stools and a blood cell count revealed the presence of blast cells. As a result, all treatment including the disatinib was suspended and the patient’s medical staff acknowledged failure in treating her cancer. It was charted by the patient’s hematologist/oncologist that the patient ‘suffers from terminal malignant disease. She has been treated to the limits of available therapy… no further active intervention will be undertaken’. She was placed in palliative home care and told to prepare for her disease to overwhelm her body and from which she would suffer a stroke within the next 2 months.

Cannabinoid Treatment

After this, disease progression was observed with rising counts of blast cells. The patient was receiving frequent blood transfusions and platelets during this period. Through research conducted by the patient’s family, it was observed, in a particular paper by Guzman published in Nature Reviews Cancer, that cannabinoids have been shown to inhibit the growth of tumor cells in culture and in animal models by modulating key cell-signaling pathways. Cannabinoids are usually well tolerated and do not produce the generalized toxic effects of conventional chemotherapies. The family found promise in an organization known as Phoenix Tears, led by Rick Simpson who had treated several cancers with hemp oil, an extract from the cannabis plant. Rick worked with the family to help them prepare the extract.

From the 4th to the 20th of February, the patient’s blast cell count had risen from 51,490 to 194,000. The first dose of cannabinoid resin, also referred to as ‘hemp oil’, was administered orally (1 drop about the size of half a grain of rice) …

1 Like

… and remember I was asking around if anyone had an idea about Redox signalling? Well, I’m on the Renue 28 gel, and been taking it for a week.

1 Like

I have been watching this company for a while.

Only 4 programmes so far but there is a focus on pain relief

“We want to have a positive impact on the lives of people living with debilitating conditions and to change the narrative about cannabis for good”

Current pain treatments consist predominantly of opioids, anti-inflammatory, anti-convulsant and anti-depressant drugs. Many of the medicines used to treat pain are not licensed in pain.

It is known that the Endocannabinoid system (ECS) plays an important role in processing pain and that modulation particularly of CB2 in the ECS can alleviate pain.

"It is our intention that each cannabinoid medicine we develop will serve to resolve, not just one, but several pain conditions including rare conditions. Our first compound, OCT461201, a highly selective CB2 agonist, is now in clinical trials with target indications of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy (CIPN) and pain associated with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). "

3 Likes

How long before you begin to see real results?

3 Likes

Hi, JPS
According to my radiologist friend, in 3-4 weeks I should notice a difference.
However, next Wed, I am going to Italy for a week, and I decided to take the “main” blue bottle ASEA cell signaling supplement after the Spa. Reason being, I will feel better from the Spa and change of scenery, etc. and want to keep the 2 separate, and do 1 thing at a time. So watch this space, as they say

ciao, Roland

4 Likes

that’ll be the day. There’s too much business interest in it. I’m talking indirect business, if you get my meaning.

1 Like

The Oxford company is a small company pharmaceutical wise. One of their ideas is to use cannabis to trigger the immune system to switch back on to attack cancer cells.

Now that would be truly groundbreaking but is it what human beings actually want ? I’m sure it is below a certain age but above x, not so sure

2 Likes

I can see the logic of having a week off to indulge yourself in Italy. Lucky you! Sounds better than any medicine.

3 Likes

Purchase these 40 years ago…

Yes that’s how you’ll be able to tell what’s causing effect otherwise you get what’s called aliasing in testing circles :slight_smile:

The perception of marijuana is I believe the fallout of a conference held in India in the late 19th century where the British were attempting to regulate the opium trade and there was some deal struck whereby the British interest would support restriction of marijuana in return for the indian interest supporting the restriction of opiums from the far East. My memory of where I found these thoughts or facts if they are indeed is somewhat hazy because of the time elapsed and possibly the influences at the time…

Caio
Simon

1 Like

Interesting, I heard a different story, I don’t know if it’s entirely true. It looks like racism played a big part both in the US and UK.
It goes that UK policy to drugs is heavily influenced by the US. You only have to watch Jeremy Brett in Sherlock Holmes and he is down the opium dens in a few episodes so although that’s fictional, that element is based on actual.

Marijuana was linked to crime…easy to target sections of the community on that basis.

The UK story I heard was the opium dens in the UK were run by the Chinese community and they had a large workforce in the uk docks, which caused much unhappiness in some sections. Target the drug, target the community

The British got quite a lot to answer for
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/heroin/etc/history.html

You could, of course, blast yourself into the next galaxy with drugs freely available in Victorian England. Laudanum — a blend of brandy and opium — must have packed a punch!

1 Like

I just want to add my experience with CBD without THC–as it might help those who are suffering from the aftereffects of a stroke. After my stroke 5 years ago, I began to have left leg spasms whenever I went to bed. My whole leg would seize up in a tight, non-painful cramp, hold the spasm for about 10 seconds, then let up. The whole process would repeat about every 2 to 3 minutes. It was so upsetting and uncomfortable that I couldn’t fall asleep. It would go on for hours. The nurse in the hospital told me about CBD without THC. She said it can help some people, but doctors can’t yet prescribe it. So, I got some when I got home. I found that 20 mg CBD oil under the tongue stopped the spasms within about 45 minutes. If they didn’t stop then, I took 20mg more. Then they ALWAYS stopped within about 15 minutes. CBD got me through the first year or two of recovery. As time went on, I only needed it occasionally, like once or twice a month. Eventually, maybe every 3 or 4 months. Now–almost never.

6 Likes

CBD balm has worked for me and my husband. I don’t think it works for everyone but is worth a try before writing it off. It’s not a placebo. It’s also harmless and isn’t addictive. So there’s nothing to lose.

4 Likes

Hello @MagW
Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @MagW just popped in to welcome you to the forum and look forward to seeing you around :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes