Calling all Thalamic stoke brothers & sisters

I really have !!!

Am now retired and enjoying studying astronomy and planetary sciences !!

The one thing I’ve spent a lot of time trying to work out is ‘why me’ ? And have finally made peace with the fact that I just got unlucky and that in life ‘$4it’ sometimes happens , you can’t always control that - what you can control is how you react ! I now try to look on having a stroke as a big ‘wake-up’ call and do my best to enjoy every day and make sure I do the things that bring me joy (yes - like studying !!) and also live’ in the moment’ with my gorgeous wife and great kids.

As some others have said - I think Stress was a significant contributor to my stroke ( I also have atrial fibrillation which is another risk factor I know) so living as stress free as possible is now top of my list !

3 Likes

Hi, just remembered my consultant this week said he would ask my GP to refer me to a sleep clinic as it appears ( according to my partner) I have sleep apnea. Hopefully this will give some answers too! :blush:

3 Likes

And me Sam. Asking next week.
I’m finding whatever I do, don’t sleep on my back, that seems to make it worse

1 Like

Good luck @Nigelglos! Hope your appointment goes well :blush: x

2 Likes

They actually do this in the US. I opted out because I was so busy with therapies at the time, but I think it may be time to ask for it now.

2 Likes

Just as an update, I am to collect a monitoring device next week with a consultant appointment within 6 days.
The referral and pre consultant meeting both came with a series of questions. They request you rate yourself on how likely you are to dose or feel asleep in various scenarios.

All seems pretty simple. I would suggest anyone who has doubts starts this process. There are real health issues with apnea.

3 Likes

Hi @Nigelglos how did you get on with the monitor? I’ve hopefully got mine next month just wondering how you got on with it. Thanks Sam x

3 Likes

First time use last night Sammy and the finger monitor fell off and I am not sure if the device itself was working. Might have to check the battery.

So as a first attempt … Didn’t go well :grin::grin:
It’s going to need a much stronger plaster to hold the cable to my finger which will in turn secure the monitor cup on my finger.

Hopefully an improved effort tonight. The last figures I saw were blood oxygen in low 90s.

2 Likes

Yes, I watched a dozen or more of her YouTube videos a while ago. Once I got past my initial irritation at being addressed as if I was still in primary school, I found her very interesting and thoughtful.

2 Likes

@Nigelglos Sorry to hear it wasn’t a success better luck tonight! I must admit I’m glad to hear it’s on our fingers I’d got an image of a mask on !

1 Like

This is just to prove it Sammy. They connect the device to a pc at the consultation to pull off the results.
If proven, will be a mask. Been advised by someone else, opt for nose and mouth mask as who can guarantee to breath through their nose 100%.

I know a mask got a fair few negatives but I can’t wait to try it and hopefully be much more alert in the day. Time will tell

2 Likes

They need two nights reading but the cup that fits over your finger does have a habit of falling off.
You need plenty of Elastoplast to try to keep it on but this can only go on the cable not the cup itself.

Looked at blood oxygen display on one occasion and it showed 89. Number of low 90s. Think I am nailed on for an oxygen boost

2 Likes

Hi Sammy, had my diagnosis today, I have got moderate apnea, borderline severe. My windpipe was closing 25-30 times an hour.
In this period you stop breathing, your brain goes in to full on panic which may or may not wake you up.
There are two types,one following damage from the stroke and obstructive sleep apnea.

The solution is a CPAP machine which pumps air to keep your windpipe open. The mask covers your nose and mouth.

Been told today it will stop the snoring and a friend has advised it will make a big difference.

I asked if it was possible to have a Darth Vader mask but they said they have none in stock.
Cheers
Nige

3 Likes

Not knowing anything about this so just a blind suggestion. Could you wear a knitted glove over your hand to help keep it on, cut the fingers off those that don’t need it…just a suggestion :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@Nigelglos ooh at least you know now, I’m sure you’d look very fitting as Darth Vader! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

That’s a decent idea EE but it seems, well at least when it came to Elastoplast, that you couldn’t touch the sensor.
Not sure why that would be an issue

1 Like

Again, having no idea what it looks like, could a hole be cut in a glove to keep the sensor exposed?

1 Like

First time using the mask this afternoon as I was really tired after the efforts today.

The pressurised flow from the mask takes a little bit of getting used to. Mask itself is comfortable with a nice soft edge. Little bit difficult to take on and off.

It has to be fairly tight to prevent air escaping. Sleeping with something touching your face may take a while for it to feel normal.

I remember thinking 10 or 15 mins in, not sure I am going to be able to fall asleep, this is all a bit different and then couple of hours later, I wake up and Mrs P tells me no snoring. That is unusual.
Don’t feel totally refreshed but it wasn’t a full overnight sleep.

It is a bit like trying to sleep whilst it is windy.

If you do go down this route, I would suggest the quick demo course after the consultant appointment is well worthwhile as it helps no end someone helping with the initial fitting.
Hope this helps

4 Likes

Thanks for the advice Nigel, hope I get to hear soon. Enjoy your sleep. Hope you get used to the mask soon. X

2 Likes

Used it overnight. Found it easier 2nd time after my earlier afternoon kip.

Immediate effect … Not much, I’m yawning at 11:40am so I would say nothing benefit wise day one.
May be it will take a few days.

4 Likes