Bad taste

Hi everyone. This may indeed be in “bad taste” but I would like to see if anybody has a similar symptom. I am 8 weeks post stroke, have little residual weakness, just the terrible fatigue. However for some weeks now I have had a nasty taste in my mouth - metallic/bitter - it is worse after eating, doesn’t go away after teeth brushing, gargles etc. I also feels as if I have a ball of mucus in my throat all the time. Has anyone else experienced similar? Is it a consequence of the stroke or should it I be looking for another cause?

3 Likes

I had the food tasting awful thing when I was in hospital.
Had to stop drinking coffee, it tasted of drains. I drank juice for a while but it wasn’t much better.
Then a nurse suggested drinking chocolate which was fine. It became my drink of choice for a while.
I’d order food that I quite fancied off the menu but couldn’t eat it because the taste was all wrong.
I discovered others who had experienced similar. All a bit weird but eventually taste came back to normal and I could enjoy my food and my usual cup of coffee.
I don’t know why, maybe the stroke or a drug side effect, but once gone it never returned.

I’d try changing what you are eating and drinking for now and try a change, Oh yes toast was okay so breakfast was toast and drinking chocolate.

1 Like

Thanks for that advice. This didn’t start immediately, but came on gradually. I can sort of taste my food, but soon as I have swallowed back comes the bitterness. Can’t say that there is anything that I find more acceptable than others, and definitely not chocolate, tried it and it was horrible!

2 Likes

Hi @JanM welcome to the forum :grin:
I agree with @Bobbi, it’s either stroke effect or medications you are on. And like Bobbi, it eventually wore off for me too at some point in the first 6mths, just can’t remember how long it took now, I’m 3yrs post stroke :smile:

As for the ball of mucus in your throat, the only solution I ever found helped a little was water with lemon juice in it to cut through it. I just always had a bottle on the go to sip from time to time or take my pills with. That took a bit longer to resolve itself but it did in the end :wink:

3 Likes

Thankuou EmeraldEyes, I’ll give the lemon juice a try. Can you tell me how strong to make it? TIA

3 Likes

Just a squirt or two of lemon juice in a pint bottle of water. If I didn’t have fresh lemons I just used the bottled Jif lemon juice you buy in the supermarket. Like I said though it helped but didn’t cure it, only time did that :smile:

2 Likes

Hi @JanM
Welcome :slight_smile:

Screwy taste buds are not uncommon.
At 3 1/2 years scrambled egg is still tasting like saccharin but most other things have reverted to normal .

I too found the funny taste came on gradually over the first month or so. I found sweet slightly hot spice was the most palatable in the first year.

My nose has been running since the stroke but only from one side which I would normally describe as the unaffected side - can’t say whether it’s medication but it’s an ongoing annoyance. It’s very plausible that the feeling of something in your throat is in your head and therefore relief such as water won’t work but it’s definitely worth giving it a go

Caio
Simon

Ps I appreciate your opening comment was in jest but I don’t think we would find anything that is stroke related and not normal topics of conversation to be in bad taste when somebody is asking out of need to sense make after their stroke

2 Likes

ENT gave me a nasal spray Flixonase which seemed to cure that for me even though that’s not why I was prescribed it.

2 Likes

@JanM hi & welcome to the forum.

I too found food to taste vile after my stroke although it took me a while to realise thats what was happening. I blamed it on poor hospital food :rofl:

2 1/2 years on I still get times when food tastes yuck and i’ve also found my tastes have changed. Things I loved pre stroke I now can’t eat & vice versa.

Hope it settles for you soon.

Best wishes

Ann

4 Likes

Thanks for that Simon. Sorry if you found my attempt at a pun was misplaced, but there is very little to laugh about these days!

2 Likes

Hey now don’t be going down that road, it’s nothing but misery and you’ve got a lot be thankful and happy about. I know not every day can be sunshine and roses, even if you’ve never had a stroke. Just don’t let the bad days drag you down into the abyss. Look for the positives in your life, I’m sure you’ve still got many. And don’t hide away indoors, get out and about and live.

And there’s always plenty to laugh about as @HHilary pointed out on another thread, so you’ll find plenty to laugh about in here https://onlinecommunity.stroke.org.uk/t/our-new-funnies-thread/
Don’t forget, laughter is the best medicine you can take and it’s free! :smile:

2 Likes

No need to be sorry AND I didn’t find it misplaced I did think it was worth being clear that pretty much everything is ok :slight_smile:

There is lots to laugh about here - I hope it develops for you too :slight_smile:

Caio
Simon

1 Like

Welcome JanM for several months had that metallic taste. Thought it was fillings so booked dentist appointment. Now three years on comes and goes . Think it’s from my HBP medication. Read up the side effects of the pills you take Hope this may be of help

5 Likes

Forgot to add, Yes I do have ball of mucous always not far away. Got to be the drugs

2 Likes

Thanks for that, reassuring to know I’m not imagining it!

2 Likes

Hi Jan, I’m 2 half years post stroke and taste is still a problem for me . Always a strange taste in my mouth when I wake also my ears feel blocked :flushed:. If I cough I have mucus too . It happens in the day too . I’ve lost 3 stone since my stroke and would give anything to have my taste buds be normal again . All the best you are not alone with this x

4 Likes

Thanks for reply Christine, its good to know I’m not alone with this but daunting when you guys tell me how long you have been suffering! On the up side, I desperately need to lose weight, on the down side I can’t bear to drink wine any more!

4 Likes

Hello Jan,

You might start to go off the things that are bad for you, and enjoy the taste of things that are good.
As for a strange taste in my mouth ; only at the start of my recovery ; all back to normal, now. Though, I used to hate soup before my stroke, now I love it.
I have 1 glass of red wine per week ; never more.
(I avoid alcohol, for several reasons, of which the first is to guard against osteoporosis)
Weight, diet, intake of essentials like omega 3, outdoor time, sun, walking (my weakness), exercise, yoga, physio, swimming, listening to music, creative time, quality social time, your personal recovery team, love, financial security, and tenacity to overcome problems and heal ourselves.

Sorry, I went off topic,
Good luck, ciao, Roland

2 Likes

I also have the running nose (only on stroke side) which makes me super conscious that it will (& has a few times) just hang out in a long strip. I now blow it incessantly and always carry handfuls of tissues.

Welcome to the forum @JanM, weird taste also affected me for quite a long time after stroke (now almost 3 years). Also mouth feel due to partial numbness continues to slightly spoil enjoyment of many foods. But things do improve over time.

Good luck with your recovery, and feel free to ask any questions. Many of us have similar issues that should reassure you it is ‘normal’ for the new you!

2 Likes

That mention of adding lemon juice to glass of water at night! Did the same , first year, then just water. And yes minor issue with the dripping nose at times. Always thought that was an old boys thing. Cripes ! Just realised I am an old boy now (76)

2 Likes