Alcohol and medication

Hi again.
Just wondering if drinking alcohol with medication (Ramipril, Clopidogrel) has any sort of effect the next day. I get a very full head feeling. My doctor said alcohol in moderation is ok. I only have 2 or 3 glasses of wine or a couple of pints at one time a couple of days a week. I’m not sure if my symptoms are alcohol related or its fatigue as I normally have a drink after a busy day of gardening or DIY (trying to keep myself moving) I know its easy to say don’t drink but its my only pleasure at the moment. lol.
Take care.

4 Likes

@Seeney
You are going to get very many very different answers.
I’m not at all certain that there is a right answer, either.

If you look at the little leaflet that comes with these medications you will probably discover that you shouldn’t take this medicine if you are on that one and so on. From experience questioning a doctor about this usually prompts the response to not be concerned about it.

So I would guess that there are no hard and fast rules that you must follow. Doing stuff in moderation is usually seen as the best path to take. So what you are doing could be seen as okay and you have to make allowances for yourself. Don’t push yourself in the way you perhaps once did, go easy but no need to come to a complete standstill.

After a couple of heart attacks I asked a doctor if I should avoid doing too much, he replied, no worries you’ll know when to stop. So it does sound like you are getting those ease up messages, which is okay, you won’t be doing things as you used to, but just accept that, I reckon.

Twenty years of surviving after the heart attacks and here I am adding a stroke to the list. I’ve always been active and I suppose when I stop it will be for good. Meanwhile I still like to keep myself doing stuff though at a more gentle pace these days.

Don’t go daft and . . .

Keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :grin: :+1:

3 Likes

If you’re not sure whether it’s fatigue or alcohol then I would suggest a simple experiment of have a easy day and a drink and have a hard day and not a drink and see whether you can determine anything from that .

I’d also echo bobby’s advice perhaps summarising the whole thing as moderation in all things including moderation .

I have to say I’ve had the couple of glasses of wine .
I’ve not had the couple of pints of beer since my stroke

I find non-alcoholic beer works very well as a glass of something without the challenge or disadvantage of the alcohol

Ciao
Simon

5 Likes

Thank you for that. I do think I push too hard sometimes. For instance yesterday I put up 3 kitchen cabinets and an extractor fan.
Take care.

4 Likes

Hi, yes a simple experiment would tell me either way. Trouble is if I have a hard day I say to myself ‘Sod it, lets have a drink’ LOL!
Take care.

3 Likes

@Seeney

I with you there!!!

K

:wink: :polar_bear:

:wine_glass: :wine_glass: :wine_glass:

5 Likes

Hi, I have a couple of small glasses of wine when we go out but thats about it. I think you need to do an experiment and see what works well for you.
My GP was saying the same as everyone else “everything in moderation”. I would often like to drink more but know I’m wobbly enough without the effects of too much wine :joy:.

Regards Sue

5 Likes

That is about as much as I can cope with. Any more does increase the overall fatigue. I always check the patient information leaflet when I get a new medication. The advice on mine just says be careful. I think I am doing that.

6 Likes

I think it exaggerates the tiredness from what I have read, so I have been on the alcohol free stuff since the stroke.

Have a new best ( in terms of tasting similar to the alcoholic version) and it’s Shipyard.
Liked the original and this isn’t bad at all.

3 Likes

@Seeney i think i’d agree with Simon re a little experiment but if you like a drink & it’s in moderation then why not.

I’m not a alcohol drinker - wasn’t pre stroke so don’t know what, if any affect, it might have.

I can say though that my fatigue sometimes gives me a full head feeling.

P.s. well done on putting up those cabinets & the fan. Just the thought has tired me out :rofl:

4 Likes

I went teetotal and gave up the fags a few years ago to improve my health. That went well then :grinning:

3 Likes

Thank you. Take care.

Guinness 0% is good too. Thanks. Take care

1 Like

I like the Heinnekin 0% - very tasty!

2 Likes

I think it’s easy to find an alcohol free beer that is ok!
I definitely second the Guinness, also leffe, and many others :slight_smile:

But is impossible to find an alcohol free wine that is anywhere near ok - they are just awful all of them

:grin:

2 Likes

You might just as well drink grape juice as non alcoholic wine :grin::grin:

4 Likes

Your not wrong there. lol.

1 Like

This evening AF “GuinnLess”

2 Likes

Same here. I did go to a wedding recently with an open bar where I had three drinks. Best sleep I have had in awhile. I doubt it would work as a common practice, though.

5 Likes

I think, but it’s not proved that I sleep better when there isn’t alcohol involved.

I fall asleep faster with it but then wake and have a disturbed night

Just my suspicion I

2 Likes