Will Dad recover or is he palliative?

Hi all,
My 82yr old Dad had a stroke Tuesday morning, we found him on the bathroom floor. He was taken to one hospital (approx 1hr away) and they then rang and told me he was being moved to another. Timeframe from when we think it happened to the thrombectomy is approximately 9hrs. He had a clot in the medial aspect of his brain.
We visited him in the hospital yesterday, he has an NG tube and antibiotics (he’s a cellulitis sufferer and it’s flared up) and the normal BP and O2 sats machines, but he was pretty much non responsive, and when we could get him to open his eyes it was for merely seconds, and he wasn’t aware.
I’ve read lots about people starting their recovery journey within the 24 hours, but I’m wondering if he will ever get to that stage or is he likely to remain as he is now?

2 Likes

@Izzycat welcome to the gorum alghough sorry to hear your dad has had a stroke.

I’m not sure anyone on here can answer your question specifically. Recovery can start at different stages & can take differing timescales & depends on many factors including stroke severity, age, previous health conditions. Ideally the earlier it starts the better but sometimes it’s not possible to get straight on to it.

I would hope the drs have had discussions with you about your dads prognosis/ chances of recovery.

2 days is very very early days yet & your dad will need plenty of rest too.

Keep talking to him & offer encouragement which i’m sure you are.

Stay strong & hopefully in time you will start to see some improvements.

Wishing you & your dad lots of luck.

Ann xx

1 Like

Hi Ann,
Thank you for your response. :pray:
I think the biggest issue we have at the moment is that we cannot get to talk to the doctors or consultant as they weren’t available when we went yesterday.
My brother has gone to visit today so I think he is going to stamp his feet a little more, so fingers crossed.

Sorry to hear your news.
I’m also sorry I can’t offer any help with your questions but I hope you get some answers soon.
This forum and the site has some great areas and topics for family of those affected by stroke.
Reach out and get some help for yourself if you need it.

Gem x

1 Like

@Izzycat I hope your brother managed to get some answers today. You do have to badger them sometimes. I found they can be quite dismissive at times. They deal with it all the time so it’s normal for them but of course it’s all new to us.
Good luck.

Ann xx

1 Like

Sorry to hear u news everyone’s recovery varies so much but the only thing to do is to do the best he and his family can do with kind regards des

1 Like

Hi one and all, thank you all for your replies and best wishes. We are heading up to the hospital today, 2 sibling strong to try and get more answers. Thinking we will stage a “sit-in” until we get to speak to someone.
I feel slightly better having read your replies and speaking to someone on the stroke helpline yesterday.
I will update when I know more. :pray:

2 Likes

@Izzycat good luck. Really hope you get the answers you need.

As others have said it is very early to get definite answers. At the first stages the doctors have to proceed with great care. The treatment for a stroke varies considerably governed by the nature of the damage, its cause and the effects all of which may not be immediately apparent. Stroke is a form of brain injury but the results, the outcome, any necessary treatment varies considerably from patient to patient.
It is a very complex injury with a very varied array of effects. There is no simple ‘one size fits all treatment’. Initially it is necessary to tread carefully for the safety of the patient. It is not a process that should be hurried.
Recovery can take a few hours as you suggest, but more usually it is something that will take months and for some, improvement takes place over a period of years. Best recovery is more likely when care is properly performed at the initial stages, but expect something that will take time.

This forum is full of individuals, each a different case, working through their survival from stroke.
We try to help and advise one another and are happy to share with the family, friends and others around survivors like ourselves.
We are not on a scrap heap and in various ways live meaningful and fulfilling lives.

All the best to you and yours,
be patient,
be supportive,
keep on keepin’ on
:smiley: :+1:

2 Likes

Bobbi mostly said it.
The professionals can’t predict - there just isn’t the determinism.
Trying to push them to be definitive will probably be either counter productive and or long-term misleading and it wouldn’t be right of them to say what they can’t know
It will take a few months or more to become clearer
Sleeping lots is good for recovery

Hi all, thank you all so much for your replies. Just an update before I leave the group. Dad was doing quite well his second week, trying to talk and managed a very clear “no”. He still had his NG tube in though as no swallow reflex. Unfortunately something then went wrong, his temperature was spiking his inflammatory markers raised and he was pretty much non responsive. Multiple tests and scans and the news that he also has lung cancer. He’s to frail for them to do any aggressive treatment and has gone downhill rapidly. Yesterday we had to make the decision to stop all intervention except his IV and try to get him transferred closer to home for end of life care.
Heartbroken doesn’t describe things at the moment. Remember, live everyday you have and hug your loved ones tightly. :pray:t2::heart:

1 Like

@Izzycat i am so sorry to hear this. I am sure you are all heartbroken. Sending you lots of love. Thinking of you. Take care xxxx

Sorry to hear your news may u all get the love and support that you all need with kind regards des

1 Like

breaks my heart to hear about your dad sending prayers to you and your family x