Wheelchairs

Hi, I am a new member to this group having spent the last 5 months, firstly in York hospital, and then in Bolton General Hospital following a stroke. I left BGH on Monday 6th Feb ‘23 and am starting the home stage of my recovery. My stroke has left me without the use of the right side of my body and I have started physio to get me on the road to normality (or as close to it as possible). In the meantime I am looking for a wheelchair to allow me to get around until I am back walking again. I currently have the use of a traditional manual chair but am looking to upgrade to an electrical one. Can anyone recommend a make/model; new or second hand and a supplier around the Bolton area?

2 Likes

@Elmerfudd welcome to the group although sorry you’ve had a stroke.

I bet it’s great to be home after 5 months in hospital.

I can’t recommend any wheelchairs as the one I used temporarily was a manual one. You could try somewhere like Ableworld.

Wishing you all the best in your recovery xx

2 Likes

To Mrs5k and Mahoney, thanks for your replies. Yes, it’s great to be home but I’m struggling with one fingered typing as I’m naturally right handed (my affected side) but the time taken to send and reply to messages passes the time of day : - )

2 Likes

That reminds me of when i was in hospital. My left (non dominant) hand was affected but every time the physio came past my bed if i was typing with my right hand she told me off & told me to use my left hand. That was all very well but sometimes I just needed to send a message & didn’t want to spend the whole day typing it :grin: it did help with my recovery though however frustrating it was.

4 Likes

I have never been told or tried to type with my affected hand even though it is (or was ) my dominant hand! Something to keep me busy tomorrow . Thanks Mrs5k!

2 Likes

Good luck. It’ll probably be frustrating at first but keep trying.

1 Like

Welcome
Can’t say anything on wheel chairs from experience (there are plenty on ebay) but the typing wrong handed I know all about!

If you use android download gboard (maybe it works on Apple but I don’t know) on Samsung maybe swype

I do as much ‘typing’ as possible on the phone because swype & gboard are so much easier

Not good for the learned non use though

2 Likes

Hi. I had a stroke on 8 jan which left me without my right side. My family paid for a electric wheelchair, not sure from where but it’s a Dashi Eco. It was expensive but it has given me independence. But it is heavy to get into the car…

2 Likes

Have you looked into getting referred for a motorised wheelchair through the NHS? I know the process varies by area but it’s definitely worth asking about. I would ask your physio therapist or occupational therapist or, if you don’t have those, then ask your GP.

1 Like

My daughter purchased my wheelchair through the army and navy charity.maybe give them a ring first. Keep positive Triciax

1 Like

Some things to consider:
Electric chairs are heavy, how will you get it in the car?
Wheelchairs supplied new are usually made to measure. A second hand chair is likely to be uncomfortable to sit in for long periods.
How will you charge the chair? Can you get it into your house.

1 Like

Hi. I struggled with spelling so please excuse if something doesn’t make sense. My walking is getting better and can get the upstairs and walk into the garden. But my right hand is not working yet and the arm doesn’t much movement. But my problem is the anxiety, panic attacks and claustrophobic in the house and the car sometimes. Hoping that some of that go when I and the ok to sleep upstairs and instead of the living room where I got the bed. Our house is quite small.
How are you doing now?

1 Like

Hi @8jancarol - I know someone who had a hoist fitted in the boot of their car so they could lift a folding mobility scooter in and out. Not sure how much it cost but I believe it was VAT exempt. Might be worth having a look at?
Best wishes

1 Like

I have a hoist. It cost around £1000. Definitely VAT free
Janet

1 Like

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for wheelchair information last Sunday, I now have a second hand (nearly new!) electric chair and will be venturing out to the Trafford Centre in Manchester today. I went out in the car yesterday for the first time and, although it was only a short journey, I got sick in the car! Not a good start to my “break for freedom”! I’m looking forward to today because it will be the start of my return to normality. I’ll let you know tomorrow how I got on.

3 Likes

Hope you enjoyed escaping the house today. Bet it felt great.
Hopefully the sickness in the car thing will improve in time. If not travel sickness tablets may be the answer.
Look forward to hearing how your day went.

1 Like

My day out yesterday was a great success. My new electric chair was brilliant, a must for anyone struggling with mobility after a stroke; the independence it affords you is amazing. Thankfully the car sickness didn’t rear it’s ugly head and we finished up in our local pub for a late lunch, a great day out and the beginning of a return to normality.

I think Ann, my wife, is planning a trip to the supermarket next and I have an intensive week with the Physio next week to get me back on track from where I was up to when I left hospital 3 weeks ago. Should be interesting!! I’ll keep you all posted.

4 Likes

Yay good to hear your day out was a success @Elmerfudd sounds like your chair will give you a new lease of life.

Hope the physio goes well next week too.

1 Like

This doesn’t quite answer your specific question but we heard from a Council OT (not in your area) last week that my husband should be entitled to an NHS Wheelchair assessment - the starting point is to ask his GP. Before you invest money in a new chair it might be worth asking for this so you choose one that’s exactly right for you.

1 Like

Worth trying Facebook Market Place and eBay. Hope that helps.

2 Likes