Visual field test

I had my annual visual field test Tod today and my score for the damaged left side of each ey has improved year on year which gives me hope that the brain is doing something by way of recovery, a little ray of sunshine in my dark life.

9 Likes

Yay that’s great news Mark @mrfrederickson and here’s to it improving again next year.

3 Likes

That’s good news. May the improvement continue.

Regards Sue

3 Likes

Thanks Sue as brain recovery is so difficult to gauge it was all I have to prove I’m repairing

1 Like

That’s amazing news, wonderful! Which also gives me hope for my sight loss. Just wondering do you do any light therapy or other therapy to improve?

2 Likes

Yes I followed the ad vice of a survivor who covered the unaffected eye in my case the right to force the left to work harder specifically when tracking cars as a passenger when out in the car. I knew it was working as I felt a bit sick. More use lessened the sick feeling.

4 Likes

That’s interesting
&
There is a consultant in Bristol interested in what folk do to help eye sight

3 Likes

My cartroid artary is 100%blocked, hospital wouldn’t unblock it as they said it was too risky, so after six months they said that part of my brain was now dead, I did light therapy for a year called Nova vision which I think has helped a little but for me it’s very small changes in vision hardly noticeable. I would love to be able to drive again as I have two small children and very little independence now

1 Like

I have vision in left half of each eye missing so which eye would I cover? Or is that a silly question?

2 Likes

Here’s to the ray of sunshine!

I hope the dark life was not literal, but if so, what other things bring light to it? I am asking both because I care, and because possibly we can help each other? And of course, even more others.

My children, grandchild and pets bring light into my life. Talking with you all here brings light. Being outdoors seeing what I can see, feeling the breeze, smelling the flowers, tasting a strawberry from the garden, hearing the laughter of children playing or the click, click, click of a kingfisher or touching my bare feet against the soft grass.

1 Like

Hi Simonin, sorry to hear your blocked artery is still causing so much grief in my case they pumped me full of a purple drug which dissolved any remaining blockages that were there and got me on a high dose of blood thinners, so far so good. The vision issues are peripheral only and as noted are making slight gains, o hope they can dissolve your blockage and you can begin the process of repair, it is a very long time unfortunately as fellow survivors point out to me in some cases8 to ten years so your small children maybe driving you before you fully repair. My son is learning to drive now so it’s a race to se who gets a full licence me or him, take care of yourself.

2 Likes

thats brilliant news

1 Like

Hi deAnn my kids are grown up but still a joy to know they have yet to make me a grandparent but live in hopes, maybe I’ll be recovered in time to have fun with my grandchildren if I’m lucky

2 Likes

Grandchildren are a joy I can’t really explain well. I only have one, who lives with me, and all his friends call me Grinnie as well and hang out at my house. Best I can do to explain is you get all of the joy of children with very little of the responsibility for them monetarily and when they misbehave. You have more time to simply enjoy them. I hope you have a few come along soon. They won’t care if you are not recovered. They will find a way to have fun with you regardless. Mine is a mouthy almost 11 year old. He teases me about my shakiness, swears I can’t catch him, then comes and lays across my lap for his spanking…all in fun. We also make kitchen messes together, play easy video games, just for me, and I answer questions about the old days, when we didn’t have televisions or phones…another thing he pokes fun at me about. And of course, I walked 7 miles in 2 foot snow back and forth to school. LOL

3 Likes

Really promising news Mark, this is fantastic way to see that brain continues with healing post stroke. In general I have been told, vision does not improve. I have been looking for ways to rehab my clients, I have not been able to find anything (e.g. Efficacy of Visual Retraining in the Hemianopic Field after Stroke: Results of a Randomized Clinical Trial - PubMed). Please keep us posted, if you are seeing any changes in function?

Kind regards, Kusal- Stroke OT

1 Like

Maybe you could alternate days for each eye, try it for a week and see how it goes :thinking:

1 Like

That is wonderful and welcoming news for you, I’m so pleased :smile: Your time, patience and efforts do pay off in the end. Keep up the pace, you are indeed getting there :smile:

1 Like

Thank you I will try that

1 Like

Yes the ey nerve damage seems to prove progress somewhere in the brain? Just need it in my legs and arm next

2 Likes

I want to say, don’t listen to that in general vision does not improve thing. I know mine is improving and there are many ways we work on that through OT and PT. It took quite some time (over a year) to get to the point of being able to do vestibular training, but now I am to it, I am hoping it will help more and more. It has already worked enough for me to be moved from high fall risk to the low end of normal risk for my age group. I can balance on one foot (either one) for up to a minute, and up to 30 seconds on the foam padding. I haven’t been working on that very long.

In other words, please don’t write it off as not very likely, when it could be more likely to help than we think. Maybe more study, or different study measurements?

1 Like