Video Games

This is not for everyone, and I have young children so have been exposed to it everyday, but recently during my recovery I have been playing puzzle and adventure games on a console platform. Although, I haven't noticed any conspicuous improvements to my recovery after playing, I have found that while playing my mind is distracted and I feel better for it at the time. There are lots of good "point-and-click" games that require eye movement and focus, puzzle-platform games work on coordination and puzzle-adventure games work on memory and cognitive function. I also find that the "reward" function in the games release endorphins which are analgesic if I have brain fog. The obstacle is finding the right games that appeal to you. I have criteria; I like a specific atmosphere (hand-drawn animation is pleasant), there has to be a good story, the games need to be able to be finished (so not "open-world", it must be able to be "clocked" like completing a story), pleasant music, and an interesting world. I'm not always in the mood to play but when I am, I find I can whittle away a few hours, relaxed and comfortable, immersed in the story. Just thought I would share this with any survivors who do play or those who may consider taking the plunge.

Hi Rups, I also play games most days, mainly in the evening and find I can waste away a good couple of hours. I am  playing Twodots and Dig this at the moment ( both free though you can pay for extras like a lot of games ) and I do daily jigsaws. I find it helps me think things through and helps with my memory. I don't normally have the sound on.