Understanding Attitudes to Robot Assisted Dressing

Research participation requests are sent to the Stroke Association from external research institutions (e.g. universities and hospitals), which we post on My Stroke Guide.

We conduct basic checks on these before promoting but are not involved in their running. This means we cannot comment on trials and have no affiliation with them.

A research team from multiple universities would like to talk to stroke survivors, healthcare professionals, and people who provide support (formally or informally) or rehabilitation to stroke survivors.

What is the study about?

Robot assisted dressing has the potential to support stroke survivors’ independence which is positively associated with quality of life.

To facilitate safe human-robot interactions, we need to understand people’s views on assisted dressing through focus-groups, interviews, and co-design workshops. These will help us to develop computer models, specifications, and algorithms.

We want to create ways of performing robot assisted dressing that can be trusted by people. To achieve this we need to hear the thoughts and opinions of the people that would use this.

What will it Involve?

Healthcare Professionals will be asked to take part in a video call for approximately two hours to explore the opinions of privately or NHS practising healthcare professionals in relation to dressing practice for the upper torso of people with stroke.

People affected by stroke will be asked to join in-person co-design workshops (in London and Sheffield) for approximately three hours to explore how you would feel about a robot assisting with tasks such as getting dressed.

People affected by stroke will also be asked to take part in one-hour interviews. These will be conducted with a professional occupational therapist and involve a video call to collect visual cues, such as your facial expressions, hand gestures, and body postures when feeling certain emotions.

Travel costs will be covered by the project if these are incurred, and stroke survivors will receive shopping vouchers as thanks for your time (£10 per hour).

Who can take part?

For the focus groups we are looking for healthcare professionals who work with stroke patients.

For the co-design workshops we are looking for stroke survivors and people involved in providing support (formally or informally) or rehabilitation to stroke survivors.

For the interviews we are looking for stroke survivors.

Participants will need to be based in the UK and fluent in English.

Our workshops will be in London and Sheffield so you will need to be able to travel to one of these two areas (precise locations TBD).

How Can I Register my Interest?

If you are interested in more information or would like to sign up, please contact Yasmeen Rafiq by y.b.rafiq@sheffield.ac.uk

The deadline for interest is 31 October 2023

1 Like

But the deadline has come and gone on this one, it said 25 August 2023?

2 Likes

Yes Mr / Dr Rafiq.

On this forum we are stroke survivors / carers so please take that down and sort it out and don’t do it again because it is not fair on us.

Thank you.

1 Like

You seriously need to understand if you are trying to conduct trials on stroke survivors then the FIRST thing to do is not to confuse them with dates etc and also people with needs for robot assisted dressing may not be able to respond to messages on an online forum if they do not have brilliant mobility.

Please rethink your approach to this study.

Actually not please.

Rethink your approach to this study

1 Like

Could you design a model using your:

These will help us to develop computer models, specifications, and algorithms.

To help you understand the difference between August and September? Could be useful

1 Like

Hi @EmeraldEyes and @KGB,

This is Dan from the Stroke Association. Massive apologies but it’s me that made that mistake with the dates.

The team had originally asked for the August date while I was on Paternity Leave but by the time I’d returned this needed to be pushed on again.

I posted the original date without noticing, which shouldn’t have happened with a quick proof read.

Creating clear communications and opportunities for people affected by stroke is at the core of my role. I’m sorry I let things slip with this one.

It wasn’t the fault of the research team though who have been very clear and considerate of people’s needs.

1 Like

Apologies for being a bit over the top in my messages there Dan and thanks for your message.

Obviously you are trying to help and it’s just a simple mistake.

Thanks for the explanation and correction.

Best

2 Likes

And CONGRATULATIONS!!

:baby: :baby_bottle: :pray: :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi @KGB

I totally understand it’s frustrating not to get the right information and we’ve all been exasperated by something a quick proof read should have sorted out, especially as these are requests for you to give your own time. It’s a reminder for me to take a closer look before I click enter!

Thanks for your apology and the contgratulations, both are really appreciated :blush:

Dan

3 Likes