Two year anniversary and a recipe for Lancashire Parkin

:sleeping_bed: :spiral_calendar:
It is almost two years since my hospitalisation with a stroke on the day after Valentine’s Day. There has been some progress but I feel it is a process that has, as yet, nowhere near reached a conclusion.

I’m throwing away the Medical Dictionary, ditching all the Internet links and shelving all the downloaded stuff that has accumulated. I feel they are holding me back.

I acknowledge that I need support and will not be refusing what is available to me. I will be concentrating on being a part of whatever life throws at me. I won’t be trying to change the world. I hope I will both enjoy and give pleasure as I move through the circumstances in which I find myself.

I will be trying to broaden my horizon, taking a big look, outside that confined little world that is me.

There is no certainty, as I peer into the future, but I live in hope and will make my plans and dream my dreams come what may.

I mark the anniversary with this writing. In one sense it is a celebration, after all, I am still here and have a future. On the other hand my situation is not one that I would have chosen.

I will continue as best as I can and wish you, the reader of this post, both happy and good prospects.

keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :grinning: :+1:

4 Likes

We bought a new stand mixer. It will help with the manual tasks in the kitchen. Really it is my new toy.

:laughing:

This is a recipe for Lancashire Parkin which I hope to put together tomorrow when day breaks.

LANCASHIRE PARKIN

Spiced with ginger and cinnamon, this easy-to-make cake has a deliciously nutty texture.

portions 12
cooking time 55 MINS
suitable for freezing

INGREDIENTS
(adjusted for 8" tin)

130g Trex, plus a little extra, for greasing
130g Light muscovado sugar
130g Golden syrup
1 large Egg
80g Milk
130g Self-raising flour
⅓ tsp Salt
3 tsp Ground cinnamon
3 tsp Ground ginger
130g Fine or medium oatmeal

METHOD

1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/ fan oven 150°C/ Gas Mark 3.
    Lightly grease an 8in square cake tin with a little Trex,
    then line the base with a square of greaseproof paper.
    Lightly grease the paper.

2. Melt the Trex, muscovado sugar and golden syrup in a saucepan.
    Remove from the heat and set aside to cool for a few minutes.

3. Beat together the egg and milk.

4. Sift the flour, salt, cinnamon and ginger into a mixing bowl, then stir in the oatmeal.
    Make a well in the middle, then stir in the melted mixture and the beaten egg and milk.
    Mix well until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.

5. Turn into the prepared tin.
    Transfer to the oven and bake for 50-55 minutes.
    Cool on a wire rack, then turn out and store in an air tight tin.

Bon Appetit
:grin:

2 Likes

@Bobbi that was an inspirational read. We are all now on a different journey in life. I still struggle getting my head round things but hopefully I will get back to a good level of normality.
I will pass that recipe to my daughter she loves baking and it sounds fabulous.
Take care

3 Likes

Yes two year anniversary! About then ,I did the same . All the free Self help booklets and pamphlets from the Stoke Association I passed on, cleared the decks. No religious beliefs but remember the bit about there comes a time to get rid of childhood things! Grow up ! But for us it’s the on going battle with acceptance we have to come to terms with . Those publications at the time helped me understand what had happened and how best to come to terms with things. But like Bobbi now live in hope , and now make the best of things of what we’ve got.

4 Likes

Morning Bobby, :sunrise_over_mountains: that’s beautifully written and very inspirational. You should be writing books. I’m sure that resonates with everyone on here.

I’m approaching my 7 year anniversary on 7th February and to be honest I hardly give it a thought these days and when I do I just end up feeling very disheartened and frustrated at my lack of progress , so prefer not to go there.

I will never give up trying to improve my life but, as everyone here knows, it gets very tough at times.

Keep on keeping on :+1:. Happy Sunday :blush:

Regards Sue

K

3 Likes

@Bobbi there’s some truth in what you say about things holding you back. There has to come a point where you have to move from a “rehab/recovery” place to a getting on with life place; incorporating your rehab into everyday activities.

You have come a very long way but as you say there is still some way to go. Venturing out into the world again may just be what you need to embark on the next stage.

You have inspired me & many others on here i’m sure & you should be very proud of that.

I look forward to hearing of some of your adventures if you want to share them.

Ps that Parkin looks good. I may have to give it a try.

Best wishes to you & Hilary

Ann xx

1 Like

@Susan_Jane @Mrs5K @Steevo_fife @Pds

Thank you, Paul. I agree.

. . . but remember, we have one another. We do not journey alone.

Always, speak up and share, be heard.

keep on keepin’ on
:writing_hand: :walking_man: :walking_woman: :+1:

2 Likes

Hmmm :thinking: Are you sure you had a stroke and were not just hit over the head with a frying pan because you forgot Valentines Days :rofl:

2 Likes

17th year Stroke versatility in 2014

2 Likes

Wow - I had no idea that you were so far post stroke in time.

I guess you’ve still got language issues? Or are they dexterity issues?
Are words clear in your head but hard to send to others?

Ciao
Simon

1 Like

There’s nothing like a nice bit of parkin to tickle the taste buds and celebrate an anniversary.

2 Likes